Chances Of A Reply?

Perhaps a laundry list of dev. skills for consideration:

Linux Kernel (module) programming experience.
Any kind of embedded system experience (GBA,DS,GP32,GP2X,Cellphone,ect)
ARM RISC processor assembly knowledge (CORTEX, which is... ARMv7)
PowerVR (Hey DREAMCAST Coders, geet over here!)
The usual C/C++, X11, GNU/Linux, hardware and software skills.

All the above, PLUS some recognition on the GP32/GP2X/GBA/DS Scene.
(Just because someone can code does not mean they will, or can, or want to/ have enough free time)

Beta Testers are what you need when you HAVE software to test.

Coders are what you need when you NEED software to test.

Series-8 said:
Beta Testers are what you need when you HAVE software to test.
Coders are what you need when you NEED software to test.
Im afraid your only half right. In companies, Coders only test their own work or unless authorized to test someone elses. Coders also test the software before the first beta of the product comes out. Most companys have a team of Beta Testers, who test the beta of the product. (In short form: Coders test the product's software before the product goes into Beta/Alpha stage. Once it goes into Beta/Alpha stage, a beta testing team tests it.

Thats how most companies work.

Like I mentioned, I have no expierience in Linux coding. Yet I would be willing to learn, although you guys on the forums would most likely know a lot already. Im not even gonna try to pretend I know any linux coding, as I would just fail if someone tried to test me on it. (haha). Yet, I'd be willing to test the Pandora once it goes into Beta stage. (Thats usually after most of the Dev's develope software and tweak the OS. Beta testing is usually the last step before the big launch, unless theres a major bug and the tester finds it.)

So yea, if you guys wanted me to test the Pandora, once it goes into a Beta stage, I'd love to. (Yet, Im sure you guys may already have people in line to do that).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing just seems strange to me. What exactly would you be testing? None of the developers who will be getting an early system are part of 'those guys', but independent developers who have been testing their work as they go along for years anyway. If there is a major hardware problem, I'm sure they can find it when writing applications - what could a non-developer realistically do to help in that respect?

Those first 100 units should ONLY go to developers with a track record, who have something to offer in terms of coding, and real knowledge that could benefit the Pandora's tweaking in the early days.

I believe that's what Pandora team have in mind, and it should be respected.

So if you aren't a known quantity and/or a proven quantity in that regard - you don't get one of the first batch.

And mind you, that counts ME out too. I'm not a dev, and therefore have no business getting a first run Pandora. Everyone should be honest and understanding of the situation. In the end, it will lead to a better product for all of us.

Series-8 said:
Linux Kernel (module) programming experience.
Any kind of embedded system experience (GBA,DS,GP32,GP2X,Cellphone,ect)
ARM RISC processor assembly knowledge (CORTEX, which is... ARMv7)
PowerVR (Hey DREAMCAST Coders, geet over here!)
The usual C/C++, X11, GNU/Linux, hardware and software skills.

All the above, PLUS some recognition on the GP32/GP2X/GBA/DS Scene.
(Just because someone can code does not mean they will, or can, or want to/ have enough free time)

I bet people that qualify to all what you wrote are probably less than a dozen (and even, I doubt there are twelve people out of ARM/TI that know ARMv7A and kernel dev).

Also note you should replace PowerVR with OpenGL ES 2.0.

efegea said:
Besides driver development, what other kind of linux software development is needed? I don't have any knowledge at driver development but perhaps I still can help with other kind of development (I have been using debian since 2001 to 2003 and gentoo since then, and I'm very used to linux and have developed on it, althought I don't have any work to show). Althought what I always wanted is to code the interface :lol:
We need a UI, a media player (audio and video), a file browser, a web browser, a picture viewer, a text editor, and anything else that should come from the manufacturer with a handheld gaming system / UMPC.

Chip said:
efegea said:
Besides driver development, what other kind of linux software development is needed? I don't have any knowledge at driver development but perhaps I still can help with other kind of development (I have been using debian since 2001 to 2003 and gentoo since then, and I'm very used to linux and have developed on it, althought I don't have any work to show). Althought what I always wanted is to code the interface :lol:
We need a UI, a media player (audio and video), a file browser, a web browser, a picture viewer, a text editor, and anything else that should come from the manufacturer with a handheld gaming system / UMPC.

That's exactly what I wanted to do. It's a shame I don't have enought money for the pandora, because I have a lot of interesting ideas...

You could build a ui on the PC to demonstrate your ideas? Who knows, if people like your ui, you may be donated a Pandora to further enhance it :)

I see all of your points on the dev things and such. Well, I guess I'll just wait until MWeston MAY throw some on ebay xDD

Back