If The Pandora Was A Car...

ashdjones said:
Very funny and very true.

I ordered one btw, I have the right to poke fun.
:lol:
But it isn't really a good analogy. We know the specs of the engine. We have seen 'road test' evidence of the performance of the prototypes, and have seen the components perform in other manufacturers cars. We have seen the engine in the protoype (but the convertable top wasn't attached because it wasn't the right size) and running, but without the steering wheel attached. We believe we have realistic, stickied posts about what its final capabilities will actually be.

How it feels to drive it, what the dashboard will look like, an actual pic of fully assembled car, an actual specific release date, these are the things that are missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you could get points for trying to be funny, but the analogy isn't even close here..... We aren't talking about spending $20,000 on a car that no one has seen, it's $330 on a device that the builders have an intimate knowledge of.

It's not like these guys just came up with the idea of a small handheld computer that can emulate thousands of games and do many other things out of the thin air. We've seen the GP32, 2X and other devices already running what has been proposed and being worked on here. This was a project sparked by everyone's ideas out there and as such is being developed by knowledgeable enthusiasts and not a major corporation who doesn't need the same kind of $$$ to get things started.

If people were that worried about spending the money without seeing it, they should have been waiting for round 2 instead of criticizing it. Unless you're 15, you've probably spent far more and gotten a lot less out of a deal in your life.

I seem to recall plunking down about $1200 on a '78 VW Rabbit (this was back in '87) and it lasted me about 2 months before becoming an incurable money pit. :)

I get what you're saying and that you aren't flaming, but you should try to come up with something a little closer to what this is all about, which might be hard to do.

Preordering something, that isn't finished yet is the fun part :)
I have never been so excited about a product :)

The analogy is cute, but a far cry from reality. They've shared the specs. We've seen the "concept car" already at the "auto show", but it didn't have an interior. Thanks for the smile though =)

Seriously, people by cars sight-unseen all the time. Airplanes more-so.
Rich people, mostly. But they still count.

Look at all the people who pre-ordered the Tesla Roadster before they even had a prototype that worked properly.

VRAndy said:
Look at all the people who pre-ordered the Tesla Roadster before they even had a prototype that worked properly.
Im surprised many people were able to afford it

Chero said:
It's all somehow true what you're telling here, but the pandora will be more like

KITT (Knight Industries Two Thousand)
or
the Batmobile

Have faith,
Chero.

KITT and Batmobile are LAME when compared to TATRA. B)

I hope the Pandora will be as beautiful as T87 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5mXs5VOKg and as powerfull as T815 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Epd4WZypvA emulation-wise. ;)

Yeah, this is a really really good analogy, I ordered two and I'd still do it if I had the chance today. I don't know what it will look like but I know the hardware, it's pretty well documented, so I'm not too worried.

I'm sure people will get theirs before I get mine, just because of where I live, but I'm not going to read anything on this board until I have one of mine in my hands and am playing it. Well, unless it doesn't boot up or something and I need to come here to find out how to get it going.

After a certain age you don't get excited about much. Christmas is just another holiday, you don't stay up 72 hours before Christmas morning anymore. Some years you don't know your birthday is coming up until 3 days before. Stuff like this is as close as I get to prolonged excitement, so I'll let it slide.

Tantepose makes some valid points about how lofty a height we've put the Pandora due to posted bits of scattered info, specs, renders, promises, and short dev videos without seeing said device completed and working in realtime.

All very true if you've been around gp2x.comville, but it's important to really remember why things have gone this way with everything. This Pandora project is basically like a first of its kind skyscraper built one floor at a time with limited budgeting, manpower, and passion, all with revisions taken place to the building every step, because of expected and unplanned variables.

Remember :pandora1: has never been done before so don't expect familiar territory in how it's marketed. B)

I don`t care ... Lotus are making it, it will blow yer socks off.....er

I don`t care .... Craigix is making it, it will blow yer socks off :D

has anybody ever stopped to think?, Craigix ,ED etc could have just made themselves a few "one off`s" and let the rest of us buy the Wizz, that would have been a hugely lower financial risk and much less hazardous for them if it had bombed on the pre-orders, Kudos to the dev team for sharing the vision with us (even if I do have to wait for batch 2)

<_<

I think my flying car analogy still stands. It may seem crazy to plop down a bundle of cash for a car, sight unseen. But if somebody was making a flying car, suddenly the awesome outweighs the crazy.

Let’s see:

3,800*$330=$1,254,000

$1,254,000/3=$418,000

$418,000=nice vacation

On one hand I could understand that they might [and should] be busy getting it all together.

On the other hand some actual information or pictures would be good instead of the seemingly endless speculation.

For example there are some real nice pictures over here, but nothing in the blog that mentions this:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=44906

dev1.jpg

That picture, to me, says things are progressing and they have at least one populated board and this one appears to have the WiFi chip on it. Still I am only adding to the speculation . . .

Well, I for one don't mind the analogy by the OP. If you take the situation down to its logics it does seem crazy. But as they say:

"Insanity is a sign of the times! You have to learn to embrace the madness; Let it fire you!"

I for one have never EVER preordered anything in my life, I have never been an early adopter; and have usually found that, as with the GP2X I was better off waiting for the bugs to be ironed out with my MKII.

But this is different, at least it is for me. I've watched as the whole thing came into focus. Offered feedback on different details through the forums and felt all the bumps in the road as they happened. I was more surprised than anyone when I found myself desperately trying for hours on the 30th to get my preorder in. I feel more ownership in this product than any that I've bought off the big guys as its something completely new in concept, genesis, development and eventual completion. What I bought in on was being a part of it as the story unfolds.

Will everything go as scheduled? I hope so, but will not be disappointed if it doesn't. Will there be setbacks?
I expect so, but that doesn't deter me in the least. Will the first units be completely perfect in every respect? I expect there will be some issues but they will be fixed as time goes on. What I do know is that it will be one interesting ride though.

All I can say is that after spending time at GP32x daily for over two years now, Is that Ive seen the improbable and the much voiced cries of impossible overturned too many times here to not think the Pandora has a great shot of being something REALLY special. In for a penny, in for a pound. I would have paid much more to see how it all turns out.

the problem with the analogy is that its a handheld, not a car. maybe an analogy would work if comparing it to something at least partially similar.

maybe if the buyers of the car were all forbes 100 billionairs and have had several cars in the past, and the new car could fly, and they were in frequent contact with the mechanic and designers of the car.

PoisonedV said:
the problem with the analogy is that its a handheld, not a car. maybe an analogy would work if comparing it to something at least partially similar.

maybe if the buyers of the car were all forbes 100 billionairs and have had several cars in the past, and the new car could fly, and they were in frequent contact with the mechanic and designers of the car.
That really made me laugh, kinda reminds me of the guys making this http://www.moller.com/
Too bad that there is no way a government will let a bunch of people fly around in these. Unless we can only fly down pre proved paths, but then imagine the air traffic jams. ;)

Back