If The Pandora Was A Car...

tantepose

Still Fresh
"Hey, this car looks neat! How fast can it go?"

"Yeah, well, it can go like REALLY fast!"

"Ok, like, how fast?"

"Well, that depends on the road and weather and stuff, you know. Difficult question."

"Ok, so, what can it do?"

"It can do everything! As long as you make it do it yourself. And as long as its not to difficult, you know."

"Ok... but what can it do by default?"

"Nothing, or something, well, we dont actually know."

"Can i try it out?"

"Sorry, its not finished yet. This is a plastic model made by my daughter, how it will actually look like, we dont know. But we are quite sure it will have four wheels, and some doors. Your free to buy it if you like! We only make 3000, so hurry up!"

"Perhaps i will, but youll give me more info in a little while, right?"

"Yeah, sure! You just have to step into that little room right there, where people spend their days speculating on what this car will actually be like. Its really neat."

"What do you mean?"

"We're to busy to give you any info, im afraid. So we just leave people to think whatever they want. Its great."

"But, like, it says here it'll be done in a couple of months, you have to know something?!"

"Sure we do! Sometimes, we step into the room and whisper something, like "seriously, this car is FAST you guys" and stuff like "the screws we use to fasten the tires are of this type"."

"So, i have to pay for this now, not get any info in weeks, not knowing what im actually buying and just hope for the best?"

"Thats about it, yes."

"Ok, i'll take it."

Except we do know a lot of things about this car. It can go up to 200 km/h (120 miles), has a 50 litre (13.2 gallon) tank, but at the average expected travel speed of 100 km/h (60 miles) it uses only 5/100 lpk (47 mpg). In theory.
As for what it can do, they haven't settled on a style of dashboard yet, so they're not sure what exact features it will have, but it will have a standard slot for the radio, so you can always swap that around if you want.

Is this an attempt to flame? If so, all I see is truth, so I don't really care.

In my case:
"I walked away buying two. Hmm. I have no idea how well it will work but I think I want a third and a fourth now!" :)

I liked the comparison :) Sometimes i feel the same way about the Pandora. However there is no real alternative to it nor will there be anytime soon.

The same cannot be said about a car.

It's all somehow true what you're telling here, but the pandora will be more like

KITT (Knight Industries Two Thousand)
or
the Batmobile

Have faith,
Chero.

blah blah blah lame car analogy blah blah blah didn't order one did you :D

Eh, not really that uncomfortable. It's no different than pretty much any new technology product. Heck, people were lining up to buy the PS3 with only tech specs to show for it; people are getting excited about Larrabee and such, and there's only tech specs and promises.

Pretty much EVERY tech product runs like the above, the only difference being people magically believe big corporations more. /shrug. I believe the Pandora crew because they actually communicate, show progress, and are honest when they hit snags like the bent circuit boards.

Is the Pandora a gamble? Sure. But so were many of my purchases. It doesn't feel any more of a gamble than my GP2X did, to be honest. Doesn't change a thing.

sirs.

this aint a flame, or a applefanboywhatever talking.

i ordered one allright, being a big fan of the gp2x and all.

just think its kinda interesting that people, me included, will buy something not knowing what itll be like.

and yeah, im kinda dissapointed that more info havent come yet.

but i guess im not alone there. and i guess you folks are quite fed up with folks like me nagging about it. bu seriously. its due to ship, i find the whole thing abit strange. thats all.

so no hard feelings.

all love.

<3

I thought it was a good post and a fair criticism. No need for people to get defensive--this wasn't mindless trolling.

Hahaha, this made me laugh. Yeah you got the point across quite well mate. I was thinking the same a lot of times after I ordered mine... I have never bought anything that I haven't really seen finished. I am fairly sure though I won't be disappointed as we have seen quite a few of the devkits running impressive stuff... what got me the most was probably the speed psx4all ran at when not even optimized and fullspeed amiga emulation. So it's more like: We have seen the engine run without the wheels but it's safe to assume the engine will not be any less powerful in a finished car.

Back