Release Cocoa-DOOM

>That's exactly where I get the files (and are the same you are posting). Then I follow this instructions.

Hihi. That's exactly the instructions I found too. Seems like we are walking the same internet-paths. ;)

>This happens because chocolate-doom can't find your doom2.wad. If I add the -iwad doom2.wad to the command line works fine too.

Ok. But why are you specifying in your game_list the iwad for all entries except for Mordeth? I already assumed that you configured a default-iwad somewhere, but 1) I didn't find any config-position for that and 2) you would have left the "-iwad" away on all/most entries (so I am in doubt).

>Since the -aa command involves patching of doom2.wad, maybe permissions interfere somehow. Try to set read and write permissions recursively for cocoa_doom folder.

I will try it again with the changed permissions. But I wonder: Will the doom2.wad be patched permanently on the SDcard (which then really would involve the write-permissions) or just for the time of the execution of chocolate-doom? If it's the first then I better use a separate copy of doom2.wad. But...well..I will see that myself.

I will test the pnd now and report.

Last edited by a moderator:
> Hihi. That's exactly the instructions I found too. Seems like we are walking the same internet-paths.  ;)

Indeed and I'm now copying your quote style too!

> Ok. But why are you specifying in your game_list the iwad for all entries except for Mordeth? I already assumed that you configured a default-iwad somewhere, but 1) I didn't find any config-position for that and 2) you would have left the "-iwad" away on all/most entries (so I am in doubt).

Well if you launch chocolate-doom without -iwad it just take doom2.wad as the iwad. I use the command -iwad on every game even when not strictly needed because I thought it will be better to keep the same structure on every launch in case someone read it. I should keep it in Mordeth too, just miss it.

> I will try it again with the changed permissions. But I wonder: Will the doom2.wad be patched permanently on the SDcard (which then really would involve the write-permissions) or just for the time of the execution of chocolate-doom? If it's the first then I better use a separate copy of doom2.wad. But...well..I will see that myself.

Doom2.wad will remain intact. I suppose sprites and flats will be patched in memory.

- backuped my modified game_list

- removed the appdata-folder

- replaced cocoa_doom.pnd with the new version you linked

- ran cocoa-doom, left it opened and verified that all files are owned my user-account. Check.

- copied back game_list into the appdata-folder and added the -iwad-parameter to the game_list-entry of Mordeth:

./chocolate-doom -iwad <path_to_wads>/doom2.wad -aa <path_to_wads>/morgrap0.wad -file <path_to_wads>/mordeth.wad -deh <path_to_deh>/mordeth.deh

- ran the game. All works fine so far. I am able to shoot.

- checked the md5sum of doom2.wad afterwards: Still the same as posted above. So it's unchanged.

I am a bit surprised that it worked so fast, since i thought I already tried the modified start-line with the chowned cocoa-directory. But as long as it's working....

Thanks for your help and the updated pnd.

Next think I want to try is to get the (adlib-/midi-)music running. First I didn't want to mention this by now, because I can try that myself.  On the other hand I don't want to make you release a new pnd before clarifying if music is possible at all, just needs some configuration or some further modification of the pnd. So feel free to sit back and wait for what I come up with, unless you know the answer already. ;)

Update: Seems like I didn't run the timidity-midi-installer since updating my sdcard to the new OS. After running it I got sound directly.

That goes for "native MIDI"-support. Unfortunately I am among the few people who prefer OPL/adlib-sounds. Not sure if I can switch to "opl MIDI"/adlib somehow. I ran "./chocolate-setup" in "/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom" and chose "adlib" but alas no sound is being played. This link gives some information about it. Maybe software-OPL-support was not compiled in?

Edit: Uhm, tried it again. Now it seems to work both. I will verify that.

Edit2: Yeah switching works now. So I got no more issues.

> Edit2: Yeah switching works now. So I got no more issues.

Everything is ok then. I didn't know of opl working, I use midi. I guess we have opl for free then :D . I'm uploading this one. Thanks for the testing.

Edit: Forget the following instructions. I completely oversaw the menu-point "Chocolate versions setup" in the zenity-menu. lol Sorry for denying your work, Gaussen. ;)

Note: If you want to change the settings with "./chocolate-setup" then you have to change the the HOME-variable to "/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/" before running it. Otherwise a new config will be saved to "/home/<username>/.chocolate-doom/" which will not be considered when running cocoa-doom.pnd.

So:

- run cocoa-doom.pnd so that the zenity-menu shows up where you can choose your wad-version.

- open a terminal

- run "export HOME=/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/"

- run "/mnt/utmp/chocolate-setup"

- you should be able to test changes without restarting the pnd (the zenity-menu).

Alternatively if you just want to switch between the mentioned two music-settings, then you can directly edit the file "/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/.chocolate-doom/default.cfg" and set the entry "snd_musicdevice" to "3"(OPL/Adlib) or "8"(Native Midi).

hm after testing all this I'm not sure anymore if I listened to native midi or OPL back in the old days of Doom. :D Well, who cares.

Edit: Forget the following instructions. I completely oversaw the menu-point "Chocolate versions setup" in the zenity-menu. lol Sorry for denying your work, Gaussen. ;)

Note: If you want to change the settings with "./chocolate-setup" then you have to change the the HOME-variable to "/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/" before running it. Otherwise a new config will be saved to "/home/<username>/.chocolate-doom/" which will not be considered when running cocoa-doom.pnd.

So:

- run cocoa-doom.pnd so that the zenity-menu shows up where you can choose your wad-version.

- open a terminal

- run "export HOME=/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/"

- run "/mnt/utmp/chocolate-setup"

- you should be able to test changes without restarting the pnd (the zenity-menu).

Alternatively if you just want to switch between the mentioned two music-settings, then you can directly edit the file "/mnt/utmp/cocoa_doom/.chocolate-doom/default.cfg" and set the entry "snd_musicdevice" to "3"(OPL/Adlib) or "8"(Native Midi).
No need for this here. HOME is already set, so chocolate-setup looks in ./chocolate-doom folder for default.cfg. Maybe there is something else going on.

On the opl fidelity,  fraggle commented in the TODO list  that opl needed some more work. Don't expect it to be completely accurate.

If you want to switch the joystick from the right nub to the left nub, then this will not work by using "Chocolate versions setup" as it depends on pressing a fire-button. Alas the nubs are separate devices without a fire-button. Workaround -> Manually edit "<appdata_path>/cocoa_doom/.chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom.cfg" and set "joystick_index" to "0".

No need to apologize. When I read it I thought there was some issues with the setup utility :wacko:  . The crankiness in my answer was do to frustration, I should have thought better before posting.

In the opl business, I was looking for some soundfonts that matches those of opl2 or opl3. In this link there are some soundfonts that may worth adding to Timidity.

You didn't sound cranky to me. ;)

And regarding the opl2-soundfonts: To be honest I'd favor an improved emulation. (well or course) :p

Unfortunately I am lacking experience in chocolate-doom and dosbox to compare them, but I wonder if dosbox-adlib-emulation is better and if the source-code of dosbox could be used in chocolate-doom to improve the situation (though it's not really bad). I am testing xwing in dosbox right now and it sounds close the original thing as far as I can tell from my memory and over the Pandoras speakers.

In case you are in contact with the developers of chocolate-doom you could propose it and blame me if it's nonsense. ;)

Also see: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Sound#AdLib

I love this! I do have a few suggestions though. Possibly make it so when you add pwads via the F1 "Warp" option in setup, it's fullscreen?

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to answer the communicator in Strife.

Thanks Silent-Hunter!

You mean fullscreen like when setting fullscreen from the launcher? I think it's possible but I wiil like to know more since there is some work involved. Tell me about your use case and why having fullscreen when launching from the setup utility is important.

Do you have a strife save where I can test the communicator issue? Or maybe I can just warp to the level, in which level is the communicator issue?

I just checked the communicator issue. Actually the communicator is for receiving instructions only, you can't answer it. My strife data file has digital audio on dialogs, so I was able to hear Blackbird's messages and instructions. You can also see this messages as text, but in the default key mapping there is no key to do this. To correct this you will need to bind a key to "show missions" in the setup utility under actions->more.

New version available in the repo.

Features:

* Original res, double res and triple res (Scale2x and Scale3x available for chocolate versions only).

* Notaz special SDL. You can configure how to map the framebuffer into the screen. 

* Dual nubs controls (configurable layout) [New in this version]

* Cheap zenity script launcher (configurable by editing the file game_list).

* Freedoom bundled (this wad is still a wip, there are some missing levels. If you are a wad designer you can help. Head over to https://freedoom.github.io/index.htmlif you want to contribute).

* Chocolate-doom, prboom and freedoom bumped to latest versions.

Enjoy!

(and please, report bugs).

Hi Gausen :)

Thanks again for updating your package !

Here are some quick comments on Prboom+:

- mouse cursor is visible in menu / demo. Could you please remove it ?

- I couldn't save / load any game, what am I doing wrong ?

- no default controls, had to map them first.

- game segfaults sometimes. Will post logs here if I can reproduce it.

+ everything else :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi magic_sam.

Ok, I'm away from my pandora right now. But I can tell you this:

1- I can disable that. I remember seeing some SDL calls to show cursor.

2- No clue on this one. Will check when I get back home.

3- There are default controls and worked for me so far. Check for hidden folders in /pandora/appdata/cocoa_doom/. There should be a ./prboom-plus/ folder containing the default config. Will check this aswell (as I may included a wrong file there).

4- Segfaults are strange. Haven't happened to me yet. But maybe this and 2 are related.

Most of this stuff is probably related to something incorrectly packaged. I'm more worried of those segfaults. In the mean time any clues on how to get the segfaults are most welcome. Also try to backup and delete your original /cocoa_doom/ folder, after that try running the pnd again. This should create the necessary folders and files. If there's still no ./prboom-plus folder within /cocoa_doom its because I messed the packaging.

EDIT: I'm in home now. Just tested this after deleting cocoa_doom folder and actually I can confirm anything but segfaults. I've included the wrong config file for prboom-plus so that explains 3. Have to dig about saving, it seems as if pressing enter closes the dialog. Expect a new version in the upcoming days. I apologize for the inconvenience.

EDIT2: I think I fixed all this issues (1, 2 and 3). Please test this attached build. If there aren't any issues left I will push this version to the repo. Can't attach a pnd here so to the repo this goes.

Back