Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
predatorramboxxx said:
hhahahah gampark holdings does not have any money for this right now ahahhahahahaha.

So what? Craig has sold devices from several companies before, and as icurafu has already pointed out Craig hasn't once mentioned the name of the company that is planning this device. What we're all interested in are homebrew capable devices, so who cares who makes them. It might be a new GPH device, or it could be some other company, but it's safe to say that Craig wouldn't support something unless he believed it had the potential to deliver what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal said:
predatorramboxxx said:
hhahahah gampark holdings does not have any money for this right now ahahhahahahaha.

So what? Craig has sold devices from several companies before, and as icurafu has already pointed out Craig hasn't once mentioned the name of the company that is planning this device. What we're all interested in are homebrew capable devices, so who cares who makes them. It might be a new GPH device, or it could be some other company, but it's safe to say that Craig wouldn't support something unless he believed it had the potential to deliver what we want.

good point... i was thinking he was sticking with gph.. i was thinking that becuase he has some relationship with them...

This stings, imagine it from a dev point of view, you're working and trying to complete your much loved creation and some *$@****#% company decides that it's time to render the machine that you're coding for obsolete :lol: ( but this after all happens always ).

I hope that nothing like this beast hits us for at least another two years... The mention of it is going to affect GP2X sales and it's going to hit GPH straight in the face if it doesn't become a reality... A bad move.

oh man... i was shocked when i read this. Bullshit... what the hell is going on with all the flipping anxiety about some rumoured gp3x? I do not give a crap and if this ain't going to stop... I think we are headed for a banning of the most obnoxious. hopefully.

Annoying as F***... if there is a new device, wait until information is disclosed. Otherwise shut the hell up and stop making everyone crazy. This is madness i tell you... maaaadness!!!

kevcal said:
All these rumours could affect current/future gp2x sales.. :(
Not a wise move?
Or maybe that is exactly what was intended? :)

xnopasaranx said:
This is madness i tell you... maaaadness!!!
300ud4.png

mmmm prok,

i dont really see it as the gp2x being made obsolete, people can still make stuff for it.

what id really like is a gp2x that had revised hardware (but still supported all the current emus/programs),

it would be nice if it :

used less power (longer battery life),
had a dpad,
if the ports were moved around a bit (headphone jack, power adapter socket)
had a better on/off switch

I don't see what the problem is. It's called competition - do people no longer code homebrew for the NDS because the PSP is out?

It seems to me that people want one console that does homebrew without any hacking, and one only, and they start getting upset if alternatives arrive.

If a new console came out that offered similar or the same features as the 2x, then people have a choice which to buy, and developers may have more power available to them for the more demanding applications.

There's no need to sell or throw your gp2x in the bin until such case that theres a console that offers the best of everything, and even if a new console were to come out tomorrow, it's not going to get the range of apps that the 2x has for some time.

Now, back to my N64 emu for the console you'll be buying next year ;) :D

Actually the GP2X sales are near dead, it's just, as prince might say, a sign of the times. If we want the scene to continue and not die off slowly we have to keep going forward with (arm) hardware as well as software.

We have listened to all the complaints over the last 2 years about the GP2X (there is a nice thread about it happening right now in fact).

We want to be back at the top of the hardware league again don't we?

craigix said:
Actually the GP2X sales are near dead, it's just, as prince might say, a sign of the times. If we want the scene to continue and not die off slowly we have to keep going forward with (arm) hardware as well as software.

We have listened to all the complaints over the last 2 years about the GP2X (there is a nice thread about it happening right now in fact).

We want to be back at the top of the hardware league again don't we?
so this aint a joke then or a hoax?
i dont know why u cant just tell about it?

I don't even really care about backwards compatibility with the gp2x... the gp2x wasn't compatible with the gp32 and it didn't stop the gp2x from being a "success" (where "success" is defined by the manufacturer not going out of business, heh).

If it's true that gp2x sales are dead (I'm not sure exactly why that would be except that free press is harder to come by now since it's old news), then a new version sounds like a great idea!

zodttd said:
It would really be nice if psx4all was on it too.
No, first we need a Full Speed GBA Emulator. ;) Easy things first, hard things after that. ^^

Well, I could imagine, instead of an Gp3X we could have an GP2X MK3. Just a redesign of our current Handheld, like the DS lite or the new version of the PSP. Improved design, better detailed rework, nothing complicated.
Like mentioned before, the new GP2X MK 3 needs a better stick/pad/whatever, USB and DC plugs at different location, better Battery life and my personal wish: a anti-reflection-display. :)
It should be possible without much money involved. And much cheaper than a complete new GP3X.

Well, if they would drop the price of the GP2X (which is still very close to the price it was released with, while all other handhelds became a lot cheaper), then maybe sales wouldn't be as dead as CraigiX says.

I for one don't mind a new Gp3X, after all I don't mind faster PCs coming out either, as long as compatibility is preserved. Most homebrew games will probably still run on both, and emulation wise it can be probably said that the GP2x is more or less maxed out anyways.
But I doubt that they will be able to get an as big preorder deal out of this community as they did with the Gp2X (I will surly wait this time), and thus they could get some serious financing problems for the first production run (but I might be totally wrong about that).

The whole point of the thread was to expose the interest in a new version of the GP2X (which it did) and to get CraigIX to confirm its existence (which he did). Sorry for the sensationalist title, I know it was bad of me.

I think that if CraigIX was all that concerned about the rumors of the new GP2X affecting his sales, he wouldn't have dropped hints to begin with. I'm personally just about ready to sell my existing GP2X on eBay and buy this new model... but I'd rather get more information about it before I do.

Man, a D-pad and improved button response would totally do it for me.

Dzz said:
Well the obvious upgrade is to switch to the "MMSP2+".

http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp

That would be a pretty kick-ass upgrade and might not cost them too much in terms of re-engineering the hardware and software.

As noob at this stuff, what can this processor better than the current? And how compatible is the whole thing? I mean, could I plug my current GP2X SD Card into a new device with this Processor and every programm is running like at the old GP2X?

fusion_power said:
Dzz said:
Well the obvious upgrade is to switch to the "MMSP2+".

http://www.mesdigital.com/english/Products...duct_mmsp2p.asp

That would be a pretty kick-ass upgrade and might not cost them too much in terms of re-engineering the hardware and software.

As noob at this stuff, what can this processor better than the current? And how compatible is the whole thing? I mean, could I plug my current GP2X SD Card into a new device with this Processor and every programm is running like at the old GP2X?

As for compatibility, we'd have to study the manuals to tell for sure. My guess is that most or all programs would have to be rebuilt, but porting would be quite easy.

As to new capabilities, there are a lot. Double the processor speed, much higher memory bandwidth, built in floating point and decent-performance 3D accelerator, and so on.

It's just idle speculation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back