Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mfk said:
Why is people asking for single core CPU? There are many advantages of using dual core. Yes it's harder to code for it but performance is better when it's used properly.

On screen keyboard? We won't need that actually.
well the gp2x doesnt have a proper dual core CPU. if it had two equally usefull cores it would see much more use.

we won't need an onscreen keyboard? that means...

a ) it has a hardware keyboard (slide out?)
b ) it uses something like a character recognition (think palmOS)
c ) mfk thinks you don't need it because playing text-adventures is for sissies :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A well manufactured slide out keyboard could be nice too.
Character recognition? Why not but it is less a possibility I think.
Text adventures for sissies? :unsure: :D

Dzz said:
mfk said:
Why is people asking for single core CPU? There are many advantages of using dual core. Yes it's harder to code for it but performance is better when it's used properly.
And we're still waiting two years later for it to be used properly on the gp2x. A few apps use it for a few things, but only a small fraction.

If this is a hint that the new system has a "dual core", that narrows the possibilities quite a bit :)

Well, the problem with the gp2x 2nd CPU is the missing RAM for it...

Last edited:
So, you don't like sissies mfk? :lol:

I think that a clip-on keyboard could be an interesting accessory, or otherwise character recognition.

How much memory is this new toy going to have? :)

LOL :)

a slide out keyboard would be great for quite a few things.
mainly home computer emulation, using the linux shell, and maybe a chat or two in an upcoming multiplayer game for the platform.

uh....call me excited.

Eolair said:
Ok here's my xmas wish list. Santa is going to have to work hard this year ;)

Skip unnecessary stuff like wifi, tv-tuner, touch screen, camera, mobile phone, etc and try to keep the cost down. We want a gaming machine not an iphone clone.
What we need is:

1. Better stick/dpad. Must have precise control over both diagonals and horizontals/verticals
2. Faster processor, single 400mhz+ CPU (the faster the better. 500mhz+ if you can get away with it!)
3. 3D accelerator
4. Longer battery life. Preferably still a replacable battery pack. USB battery charging
5. Sturdier built system with scratch resistant surface.
6. High quality screen. Viewable in sunlight
7. A cooler name like GPX3M :p ;)
8. No more than £200 - People have to be able to afford it!
1. A good equivalent to a d-pad was hinted at by craigix
2. 500mhz was hinted at by Craigix.
3. Kick ass 3D hardware acceleration.
4. Longer battery life (via li-ion) has been hinted at (up to 10 hours) by Craigix.
5. Better build quality has been hinted at by Craigix.
6. Nothing mentioned, Yet.
7. No mention of the name, Yet.
8. No price mention yet, But Craigix hinted that it should only cost a little more that the GP2x.

Trooper

If this new device could run dosbox, Bochs or Basilisk II at a respectable speed then I would definitly pick one up.

mfk said:
3. No mention of a 3d accelerator, Yet.

Haven't we mentioned that? Okay...

New device will have a kick ass 3D hardware acceleration.
Owww Sweet :D , Corrected. C,mon Craigix, Please take my money, Please..

I`ve just thought of an appropriate name for this new handheld. I think it should be called the "Fleshlight", As i have one serious hardon (hypothetically speaking :rolleyes: ) looking at these spec`s. :)

Trooper

Oh... So it's not a prank... :mellow:

Sounds pretty cool and I'm somewhat excited. Still sad though since I barely bought my Gp2x December 2006 :( .

Shifty said:
Sounds pretty cool and I'm somewhat excited. Still sad though since I barely bought my Gp2x December 2006 :( .
So? You can still use it :)
There's a lot of nice stuff to play with the gp2x :)

Last edited:
holy smokes... what do you mean by saying we won't need a slide out keyboard mfk? Is this thing going to have touchscreen? I am saving my money now, I am soooo getting one of these babies... this is getting better and better. At first I was so pissed off because I thought someone made a lot of fuss about a joke or something.

mfk said:

On screen keyboard? We won't need that actually.
What is the advantage of having a dual core cpu on a gaming handheld? So far on the gp2x the extra core has had little usefulness. I'm not a dev but it's my impression that most devs would have prefered a 300mhz+ single core cpu to the dual processor of the gp2x.

Most games and emulators are coded to be run on a single core cpu and I'm guessing it's much easier to port them if the target system is also using a single cpu. To port to a dual core cpu system and take advantage of the extra processor you need to seperate and rework a lot of the code.

And no matter how well you seperate and restructure your code you will never get a 50%+50%= 100% performance ratio. A 400mhz single core cpu will always be faster than a 200mhz dual core cpu.

Shifty said:
Oh... So it's not a prank... :mellow:

I`ve only had mine for just over a week (from Craigix`s 280mhz GP2x Ebay auction).

Trooper

Rivroner said:
Rivroner said:
Only 2 questions :D

Will have the new device 4 extra buttons for better N64 gameplay (for instance)?

SNES special chips games like FX(Starfox, StuntRace) is running fast?

Thank you for the answers :)
Answers? :p

NO hurry :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back