Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyperpc said:
This console needs to have backwards compatible because I still want to play games I have brought for the gp2x like wind and water puzzle battles
Then don't toss your gp2x in the garbage can!

I find these latest ideas quite peculiar myself. An open game machine is cool, another linux umpc is boring (to me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzz said:
I find these latest ideas quite peculiar myself. An open game machine is cool, another linux umpc is boring (to me).
If it will be <$250, then it will have one hell of an edge over everything else on the market.

Besides, it seems like it will be games oriented, so as long as it's got proper controls, how can a slide-out keyboard hurt?

DaveC said:
Dunny said:
We know you don't like widescreen. We also know that you don't like integer scaling centred in a widescreen (because the black bars offend you for some reason). Can you give it a rest now?

Oh, and here's a smiley to prove I'm not flaming you: :p

D.
That is just it, you can't do integer scaling and centered. It will have to be fractionally scaled (320 doesn't go into 480 evenly you know) plus the image will be like 1.5" across. Not too great.

Many others pointed out your deliberate mistake. However, as for unused screen space... With a touch screen, that space can be used for controls (load/save/options etc). I like the idea.

I also like the idea of a keyboard.

D.

Alex. said:
Dzz said:
If it will be <$250, then it will have one hell of an edge over everything else on the market.

Besides, it seems like it will be games oriented, so as long as it's got proper controls, how can a slide-out keyboard hurt?

By increasing the bulk, but you're right... it's not a killer. If we get our 800x480 touchscreen, proper controls, "kick-ass" 3d accelrator, wifi, 128mb ram, keyboard, and long battery life for under $250, that's cool.

Did no one else notice that with 128 MB RAM, we can browse websites with an almost full build of Firefox?

This also might include FLASH.

ukakihS said:
Did no one else notice that with 128 MB RAM, we can browse websites with an almost full build of Firefox?

Well I've been doing that for almost a year now, and I hope a custom firmware will be more memory-efficient than Win XP ;)

ukakihS said:

Not flash on ARM :(

Will the GP2X still be made? Will it continue to be supported into the release of the new machine?

I like the idea of a dual-core system. Although the prformance may not be quite as good, we'll get more bang for our buck. 200 CPUs together is less expensive than one 400 CPU.

Jaguarandine said:
Will the GP2X still be made? Will it continue to be supported into the release of the new machine?
Apparently this is not a GPH product, so won't directly affect whether GPH continues to make the gp2x; this will be a sort of competitor. Once it has a name maybe this forum will have a separate area for its discussion. GPH may need or want to find some new distributors ... I can't imagine they are thrilled at this development :)

Eolair said:
What is the advantage of having a dual core cpu on a gaming handheld? So far on the gp2x the extra core has had little usefulness. I'm not a dev but it's my impression that most devs would have prefered a 300mhz+ single core cpu to the dual processor of the gp2x.

Most games and emulators are coded to be run on a single core cpu and I'm guessing it's much easier to port them if the target system is also using a single cpu. To port to a dual core cpu system and take advantage of the extra processor you need to seperate and rework a lot of the code.

And no matter how well you seperate and restructure your code you will never get a 50%+50%= 100% performance ratio. A 400mhz single core cpu will always be faster than a 200mhz dual core cpu.
Just naked ported games does not yield the perfomance a hungry application needs anyways. A good "port" throws away parts of the original program and replaces them by optimized variants of the original code. Example: a clean port (e.g. nearly recompile only) of Osmose (SMS emu) studders a bit while AlexKidd2X runs very fluid.

The quirrels emulators have generally with multithreading is that all emulated subunits (like cpu, gfx, snd) often require some input form some else subsystem. The syncronizsation between them is the tricky thing. And if you want to render a frame and proceed to the next: you have to wait for all other units to complete. Multi-threaded programming isnt exactly new but its still a real challenge for todays programmers.

Generally: multi-cores means just more processing power at the expense that they require a more clever designed program. See it as a programmers contest to get a problem solved by utilizing as many cores / hardware units as possible.

As for the GP2X: the main irritation came that the 2nd core had no MMU and thereforce isnt detected by the linux kernel as a 2nd core. (Linux requires a MMU to run on). Not having a MMU means you have to use a different programming style, which caused many questions i guess. However i'm somewhat sure that this direct access is faster with memory operations. So the 2nd CPU should be used for "dsp-style" calculation tasks. And it indeed was sometimes used for music playback. Which offloaded the main cpu.

The programmer of Payback used it more extensively as i believe he stated somewhere. And while doing he stated that he already hit the memory bandwith limit, e.g. the cpu's had to wait cycles to get data from the ram (effectively idling - a state what a programmer always should avoid). My hint: please use memory with faster access time + maybe TCM (along with caches) to countereffect this on a future handheld.

And: Multi-CPU systems can be far more energy efficient than just having one single very high clocked unit.

I really would enjoy having a dual core system once again in the future. This offers the benefit of having a 2nd unit you could offload some tedious tasks to.

Jaguarandine said:

I like the idea of a dual-core system. Although the prformance may not be quite as good, we'll get more bang for our buck. 200 CPUs together is less expensive than one 400 CPU.
Of course GPH will still churning them out, they probably won't even notice nobody is selling them any more.

Dzz said:
Jaguarandine said:
Apparently this is not a GPH product, so won't directly affect whether GPH continues to make the gp2x; this will be a sort of competitor. Once it has a name maybe this forum will have a separate area for its discussion. GPH may need or want to find some new distributors ... I can't imagine they are thrilled at this development :)

Well GPH has 4 options if a competitor would be released: ignore, adapt, embrace or give up. Hard to tell what would happen.

[edit] Added 4th option after reading orkie's post. :lol:

StarG said:
Well GPH has 4 options if a competitor would be released: ignore, adapt, embrace or give up. Hard to tell what would happen.

[edit] Added 4th option after reading orkie's post. :lol:
I think the options really are Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail.

Lurkio said:
Shikaku said:
http://osflash.org/gnash

Is feasible. Firefox plugin as a bonus!

From the site: supports some flash V7 features

Say goodbye to your newgrounds games folks. :)

The later/beta versions also support Youtube. By the time the new handheld comes out it should be non beta and might have more features.

ukakihS said:
The later/beta versions also support Youtube. By the time the new handheld comes out it should be non beta and might have more features.
Thanks for providing the link.
I guess that Craigix could present this to his development team and they could make it officially supported for this device.

Dzz said:
trooper said:
Craig mentions the dual core and the fact that each processor is clocked at 500mhz here, Just thought you might like to add it to your summary saehn.

Trooper

That post was a hoax. Look at the user name.

Oh shit, My bad, And i`m a mod :( . I may have to step down. :unsure:

I was looking mainly at the avatar (which Craigix`s one is obvious), And not the username.

Thanks guys, Will teach me to look more closely next time. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back