Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackd said:
X-Code said:
Playing games on something like a Zaurus SL-C isn't comfortable :)
True but the clamshell design protects it... if this ends up being my one and only super gadget i don't know how i would feel about having the screen fully exposed, hopefully there will be good protection on the screen like on the iphone because my last cell phones screen broke simply because a coin got lodged in between the number pad and screen while it was closed.

This is something easy to deal with, a screen cover even if ugly... Like the Nokia Internet Tablets ( N770 for example )

Edit : I've been lucky, I've had all these machines :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackd said:
X-Code said:
Playing games on something like a Zaurus SL-C isn't comfortable :)
True but the clamshell design protects it... if this ends up being my one and only super gadget i don't know how i would feel about having the screen fully exposed, hopefully there will be good protection on the screen like on the iphone because my last cell phones screen broke simply because a coin got lodged in between the number pad and screen while it was closed.

It protects it yes, but if playing games on it isn't comfortable than you wouldn't want to carry it anyway :p

SNAFU

Then again a slim hard case could be made to protect the screen. Think like those calculators (TI?) that had that hard plastic sleeve that slid off the front , reversed, and slid on the back when in use.

I think a clamshell would only work if the Screen plus control could be opened out the full 360 so that the keyboard is at the back and controls either side of the screen. That would require a flattish dpad though - so bleah. And the screen would go floppy over time.

The best no compromise solution is the slide out - fingers crossed that's what they're going for. I wish they would say to stop all this "oh Nooos a frankenstein Pda/Console device!".

Who exactly is it producing this anyway?

Dzz said:
cappuchok said:
A good point. If a oneclick install system is to be used, there has to be a fairly set-in-stone standard for how and why files are placed.
Certainly. "Thou shalt create one directory and one directory only on the root of the SD card, whose name matches your app. Thou shalt put one and only one executable file with the extension ".craigix" in this directory (though you may put other files there). Thus will the menu know what to show the dumbass user. Thou shalt not put any files anywhere else, but ye may create subdirectories as needed inside your domain." Or whatever.

Perhaps not quite set in stone. :lol: :rolleyes: I guess I should have seen that one coming, though.

Jokes aside, I do think a oneclick install system will be nice, and those who don't want to use it won't have to. Can we lay this one to rest now?

I'm liking what I've read about so far, I have a laptop, gp2x and WinMobile phone as well BUT would love to have the ability not have to pull those devices out if I don't have to. I don't see how anyone can complain about possibliy of having a PMP, GameEmu, PDA, GPS with great controls and better screen? Not to mention the larger application library that is out there for PDA's which become actually viable with new controls. (hmm wonder if there is a built in camera) Hell even more dos/win gaming...

Those in the know: What kind of case options/accessories can we expect? colors, metal casing, etc

cappuchok said:
Perhaps not quite set in stone. :lol: :rolleyes: I guess I should have seen that one coming, though.
I was serious. Lay down the law right at the start. Make it so nonconforming installations don't even show up in the menu.

Some guys over on the other boards leaked the tentative design

XGP1.jpg

Looking sharp :)

Zeladin said:
I think a clamshell would only work if the Screen plus control could be opened out the full 360 so that the keyboard is at the back and controls either side of the screen. That would require a flattish dpad though - so bleah. And the screen would go floppy over time.

The best no compromise solution is the slide out - fingers crossed that's what they're going for. I wish they would say to stop all this "oh Nooos a frankenstein Pda/Console device!".

Who exactly is it producing this anyway?

I think that the easiest and best solution for many reasons ( one of them being that not everyone needs or wants the keyboard at all times ) is a clip-on keyboard :)

I'm scared :lol:, If it's going to be a clamshell design, it is doomed as a gamers machine before even being born.

craigix, mfk, don't make a bad mistake like that one ;).

Edit: If it's like the pictures above... It's going to be quite big... Why does it say XGP under it? :lol:

Dzz said:
cappuchok said:
I was serious. Lay down the law right at the start. Make it so nonconforming installations don't even show up in the menu.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I fully agree. If we're going for user-friendliness, solid standards must be set in place. There could be a secondary launcher in the firmware, like the Explorer on the GP2X, that can launch arbitrarily placed programs.

gamercorps said:
(hmm wonder if there is a built in camera)

Do we really need that?...
I think WiFi, touchscreen and keyboard is pretty much the limit of PDA stuff I'd want in a GP2X successor (apart from the pure gaming-focused upgrades like 3D accellerator and stuff). Camera and Bluetooth, that would just be too costly additions for a fairly small and questionable functionality gain. But then, that's my opinion. Yours may differ. I'll be buying the device either way.

Alex. said:
Dzz said:
cappuchok said:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I fully agree. If we're going for user-friendliness, solid standards must be set in place. There could be a secondary launcher in the firmware, like the Explorer on the GP2X, that can launch arbitrarily placed programs.

Thirded, or something. For a foolproof package system to work, it must be totally in control over its file organisation, which means no-one else (including the devs) can have a say in it.

Dzz said:
cappuchok said:

As for the principle, I agree.
I was referring more to your "archaic" wording (I interpreted it as a reference to my remark about rules being "set in stone" (tablets...?)). :lol:

This new console will have an on-screen keyboard, a flip out keyboard and a slide out keyboard on the back. They all access the device seperately so it's possible to play MUDs with this device.

There will be a camera fitted on the front of the unit, and it will have the ability to take a picture of you and save it as the wallpaper.

There will be a GPS device, along with a barometer and an altometer.

There is talk of taser functionality, but no confirmation yet...

criagix said:
This new console will have an on-screen keyboard, a flip out keyboard and a slide out keyboard on the back. They all access the device seperately so it's possible to play MUDs with this device.

There will be a camera fitted on the front of the unit, and it will have the ability to take a picture of you and save it as the wallpaper.

Shurrup criagix :lol:

The install system is pretty simple, it is just one DIR is made for the program and all its stuff goes in there (with its sub dirs).

Uninstall just deletes the DIR.

This way the menu only has to do a quick root scan on boot to see what's installed.

You don't have to use this system though, the archive has both an 'install now' and a zip download option.

DaveC said:
Maybe it is because we would like to set up our system how we want to and not how some dev wants us to. The problem with those installers is that every dev has their own idea of where files should be. Combine all of these different ideas from different devs and you have a big unmaneageable confusing mess on your SD card. You don't know what file is in what directory or why.

I personally hate them. They seem to love spraying files and bits of code in all kinds of places and directories. Removing a program after you don't want it and getting out all of the spurious files becomes almost impossible. You end up wasting card space with garbage files that you don't know the purpose of.

If you install yourself and put things in places that make sense to you then it is cleaner and you can manage them much better.
Errm, have you ever used Linux?
I can't imagine you installed the whole system and new files by copying everything manually to your harddisk. It's a bit harder with dynamic libraries (which in fact do safe a lot of space, as they make all the files smaller).

Each archive has an installer script included that can install and delete EVERY FILE from an install in/from a proper directory. No wasted space.
It's not the devs that need to create these packages - packages will be created after the devs releases.

So, if you want it fast: Download and copy it onto your card.
If you want it easy without fiddling around, wait until the package is there and automatically install.

No problem here, eh?

Last edited:
criagix said:

I could always release a taser mod afterwards if there is an ext port with power out :p

I do hope that if a cradle accessory is released (please let it be better than the GP2X cradle...), it will be possible to power (and charge) the device through the cradle.

The Zaurus also looks Sharp, by the way. :lol:

craigix said:
The install system is pretty simple, it is just one DIR is made for the program and all its stuff goes in there (with its sub dirs).

Uninstall just deletes the DIR.

This way the menu only has to do a quick root scan on boot to see what's installed.

You don't have to use this system though, the archive has both an 'install now' and a zip download option.

Sounds ok then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back