Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
Jackd said:
On gp2x.de evildragon seems to say it definitely doesn't have analog control but people seem to still be speculating about it having analog control... can anyone confirm this for me because it might just be the crappy babelfish translation.
They said no analog. You don't need it you have a touchscreen. Analog sticks suck for most of what we use it for anyway which has digital controls. Remember NO N64 ;) What the hell is it with the obsession stupid dual analogs :rolleyes: What for? It isn't a PS2, Jesus.

i like my zodiacs analog... touchscreen would be akward for an analog on the go... i just want one analog for racing games... And if this really "kicks the psp in the balls" then i would assume we could get n64 emulation at DECENT speed with game by game optimizations, the psp emulator seems to run mario kart 64 at fullspeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackd said:
i like my zodiacs analog... touchscreen would be akward for an analog on the go... i just want one analog for racing games... And if this really "kicks the psp in the balls" then i would assume we could get n64 emulation at DECENT speed with game by game optimizations, the psp emulator seems to run mario kart 64 at fullspeed.
I had a zodiac and the analog stick was SHIT!! I couldn't play any emulated digital control game for more than 2 minutes without wanting to smash the thing with a sledgehammer. So intead of busting it to bits I sold it. Analog sticks are absolute rubbish for controling digital games, too sloppy, they suck. An analog is worse than the Gp2X stick that everyone bitches about. We aren't going to go from bad to worse. He already said no N64 please stop nagging for it. They aren't going to make 99% of the games play like shit just so you can have 1/2 speed N64 with an analog.

Stupid question: Is N64 really that much more difficult to emulate than PS? (Don't shoot me, I don't program!)

Semi off-topic: Seeing as we're talking about analog and N64, I figured out how to set up Perfect Dark for dual analog.

It's glorious.

So far, I'm liking both of DaveC's renders (though they don't have 4 shoulder buttons) and the Pioneer design best. In the UMPC-style designs though, it seems inevitable that the keyboard surface is recessed rather deeply (uncomfortablt so, perhaps), so that's a point to the detachable-keyboard DS-style design (which allows the keyboard to be used as a protective cover for the screen, while the UMPC designs use the screen as a protective cover for the keyboard... :p ).

I do have a few other concerns though - as someone else pointed out some pages back, what about international keyboard layouts? How would that be handled? (Actually, that's one possible use for an onscreen keyboard) Taking into account that if this device has WiFi I will want to use some sort of IM and email programs on it, it'd be awkward to not have a keyboard layout that allows for non-English characters.

On a slightly funny side note, I discovered only yesterday that the GP2X does seem to have some sort of wireless capability (if you can call it that) as it wirelessly knocks out my DVB-T signal even though the GP2X, the settop box and the roof antenna aren't placed very close to eachother. :lol: So now I can't use my GP2X when my family wants to watch the telly...

I'm hoping this new console won't have this annoying "misfeature".

As for the D-pad question posed by Craigix, I can't see a four-button design working well for diagonals. I personally love the D-pad on the Thrustmaster Firestorm.

DaveC said:
Another concept. This one is more DS-esque. Lends itself well to being made from brushed anodized aluminum. This one has a clamshell with a keyboard that can be flipped and locked to the rear while not in use. The keyboard can also be un-docked completely if you just want to use it as a games console and can make do with an on-screen touch keyboard.
This I like a lot. Both the clamshell thing (meaning screen protection) and the possibility to remove the keyboard part. Sometimes I just want to play Sonic, y'know :)

Lots of very nice-looking ideas around here. My only complaint (and that is not to DaveC, as will be apparent) - Stop nagging about dual analog sticks and stuff. It'll look like a hedgehog once you're done with it. Double shoulder buttons might be nice, if it can be fitted comfortably, but dual sticks will catch on to all the rest of the crap in my pockets and break rigt off :)

DaveC said:
Jackd said:
I had a zodiac and the analog stick was SHIT!! I couldn't play any emulated digital control game for more than 2 minutes without wanting to smash the thing with a sledgehammer. So intead of busting it to bits I sold it. Analog sticks are absolute rubbish for controling digital games, too sloppy, they suck. An analog is worse than the Gp2X stick that everyone bitches about. We aren't going to go from bad to worse. He already said no N64 please stop nagging for it. They aren't going to make 99% of the games play like shit just so you can have 1/2 speed N64 with an analog.

im not nagging, it's up to coders to decide if they want to make it (of course nobody should ever try to push the limits of something when they could be working on making sure that the sound plays flawlessly on every single obscure game from the early 80's). I agree that playing older emulated games like pacman on the zodiac sucks... obviously we would also need a digital pad to go with the analog stick but the same way that you cant stand playing arcade games with an analog stick i find it annoying to try to play racing and fps games with a dpad. Im not saying that the lack of an analog stick would be a deal breaker but there is an argument to be made for having a stick. "1/2 speed" n64 isnt the only reason for analog, it would be great for psx emulation.

PS: I wouldn't get angry about people giving there 2 cents during the development stage if i were you because we all know who's gonna be complaining about every unused pixel and misplaced button when this thing launches.

I really do like that DS/Detatchable keyboard design, although I'd like it is there were a catch to click, rather than just yanking - else we'll have an analogy potentially to the 2x joystick cap falling off all the time.

Also, might be worth trying to render in some ports, because if the KB is taking up the whole bottom half of the device, it's kinda hard to imagine where they could sit...

Re: D-pad design, I'm not sure I like any of the ones that are actually 4 separate buttons, really, but then I'm not really a d-pad person. I could cope, quite happily, though, with the one shown in DaveC's second render - i.e. 1 pad, but circular - if the patent doesn't cover that.

Otherwise any benefit of using a Dpad over a *good* joystick (what's the part number for the NGPC stick?) is just lost.

Oh, another idea for the keyboard:
How about on the first design, if you imagine the keyboard folding out at the same time as the screen goes up, leaving it on a level with the front of the console? That would eliminate the "sunk in the device" kind of thing, even if it did add more moving parts.

Think the way a lot of sofa-beds fold into the settee...

EDIT: typo

kingbuzzo said:
cowai said:
I saw it at first, then I refreshed and it was gone...

EDIT: Kingbuzzo, I think we are twins irl! :ph34r:

It kinda confused me at first when I was reading this forum thinking I had posted on every page only to find out that it was you and not me at all :p

ZOMG,

Maybe we really are twins, I've always had the feeling somethings missing :ph34r:
I actually think our mother gave one of us away :unsure:

I love your detachable keyboard design DaveC, well done! Several types of keypads could be manufactured for non-english languages. Simply change a software setting to match the pads and away you go!

I can forsee one problem with this design, and that is because the keyboard's detachable you'll be putting the battery and other heavy components in the main module. Consequently, when resting on a surface the device may have a tendency to fall over since the "top" will be heavier than the "bottom". What do you think?

Dzz said:
Sorry to Craig (with whom i have a good personal relationship)
Oh, could you ask him to send me my BoB he owes me since last december please? :)

craigix said:
OK, see all the dpad designs, which of the 4 buttons style do you think might work the best? We would really like to see some dpad designs.
Whatever that is not empty on diagonals, unlike the GBA's + d-pad, that was bad to press diagonals. I like my Logitech Rumblepad 2's d-pad, although a bit big.

By the way, aren't you guys gonna use a real designer? :(

This is what I have collected so far. Since I have it in my excel sheet, I might as well share it here. Just what we already know.

CODE
DS PSP Craigiator GP2X
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 ARM9@360Mhz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? ARM9@300Mhz ARM9@200
MIPS 100+ (?) ?? 700+ 400+
Memory 4 MB 32MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core VRender3D None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 1 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 400 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, stick.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony crap ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub Must use touch screen None
Touchscreen Yes No Yes No
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)

quartercast said:
I love your detachable keyboard design DaveC, well done! Several types of keypads could be manufactured for non-english languages. Simply change a software setting to match the pads and away you go!

I can forsee one problem with this design, and that is because the keyboard's detachable you'll be putting the battery and other heavy components in the main module. Consequently, when resting on a surface the device may have a tendency to fall over since the "top" will be heavier than the "bottom". What do you think?
Well spotted... Solutions anyone? :) ... Simple flip-out stand?

icurafu said:
This is what I have collected so far. Since I have it in my excel sheet, I might as well share it here. Just what we already know.

CODE
DS PSP Craigiator GP2X
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 ARM9@360Mhz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? ARM9@300Mhz ARM9@200
MIPS 100+ (?) ?? 700+ 400+
Memory 4 MB 32MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core VRender3D None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 1 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 400 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, stick.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony crap ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub Must use touch screen None
Touchscreen Yes No Yes No
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)
What? Come on, we can't settle for anything less powerfull than a PSP! It's pointless!

Also, craig, I wanna know, FPU or no FPU, and if not, why not?

I don't think the PSP will be more powerful. It might have some adventages in certain 3D areas, but I would not beleive it can do 33 million triangles per second. That's on the wiki.

It was proved using T&L which is the same technique microsoft used to to prove the xbox can do 125 million polygons a second.

So beleive that PSP can do 33 million like you would believe that xbox can do 125 million. ;)

Plus the ARM9s will be so much more overclockable. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back