Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KeyboardCowboy said:
There is no doubt remarkable things have been done with a platform as limiting as the GP2X. However the potential for exceptional software developers to create impressive projects on flawed hardware is not a rational justification for the intentional design of a machine that contains a wealth of shortcomings from the very beginning.
but it plays tetris so it doesnt really matter...

Last edited by a moderator:
KeyboardCowboy said:
There is no doubt remarkable things have been done with a platform as limiting as the GP2X. However the potential for exceptional software developers to create impressive projects on flawed hardware is not a rational justification for the intentional design of a machine that contains a wealth of shortcomings from the very beginning.
You've been banned several times. Take the hint and don't come back.

Dzz said:
sam fisher said:
They have already decided what they will use, hence the prototype models. It's been pointed out on the german site I believe, that it is using the MMSP2+ and its been posted here lots and the guys making it haven't denied it...
If that's true then the wacky documentation policies of MagicEyes make it difficult to assess at this point what can actually be done with the chip. We'll puzzle it out in the long run though!

Indeed :)

Have any of you thought that if this is not Epicenter, and someone else who could be good for our community as a whole, this whole "It's Epicenter" nonsense will just scare him off?

If this thing happens, we're gonna have lots of new faces around here. And just "It's EPicenter" or whoever aint too smart.

And Dave, if you don't want an analogue stick, then I guess we all have to go along with that as you are clearly the only one here who matters. But what do you want this machine for? A few more ROM sets and a better snes emu?

I want it to do much more. Not just emulate newer systems well (I mean PSX) but better homebrew AND commercial games. ANd they could be 3d or 2d but we will have the choice. I am neutral to analogue or digital. But I hate people DICTATING to the rest of us!

And Fusionpower, there were a couple of 3D games written for the PSX, if I recall!

Although sometimes I don't agree with how he sees things, I definitely think that DaveC should be included in the development of this system. He really knows what most of us need.

What do you guys say?

I just wish to clarify that I'm not against having 1 analogue stick... I'm against having more than one :).

( An analogue stick would be great for T.I.M., not to mention the possibilities of using the touchscreen in menus and maps ).... Ahhh... patience... I still have to finish the GP2X version anyway :lol:

Right, I'm getting back to work, I hope that whoever is behind the final design takes DaveC's designs as models to follow.

Included of course, we all are. But the bottom line will have to be what sells.

Epicenter, the GP2X, while flawed, still manages to be a great platform for both playing and making games. Like every platform, it has its limitations, although those aren't very harsh at all, and development on it is very fun. You admitted that some great GP2X software got released, so what seems to be your problem?

I can't think of any other gaming handhelds that allow you to write programs for them right out of the box, so the GP2X must be doing something right. It's one of a kind (bar GP32), and until a better alternative with the same ease of use comes along, there's nothing to compare it to. Nothing's perfect, anything can be improved on.

By the way, how's StarGazer coming along? Still going strong at 60FPS on your 2.8 oc'ed to 3.2Ghz computer? You know, unlike on the 200Mhz GP2X, with its shitty hardware? :)

I still like this one best. Best keyboard and it can be removed (see previous post with more pics). Since it can be removed OTHER things can be added. You could add dual shock stick module, game grips, MAME gaming module for rotation, it could plug into a cradle, you could have an extended battery pack. Super versitile and expandable.

View it now before my stupid Geocities account bandwith is used up :p

gp3x.jpg

X-Code said:
Definitely a design that should be seriously considered, it's certainly the one that I would choose :)
BTW. Cant see shoulder triggers, are there any?

Yes look here:

gp4q2.jpg

I'm not sure how comfortably you could use it though, because the weight distribution is obviously biased on the main unit, and typing on it while taking care so the unit won't fall can be stressful. I still think that a sliding screen with keyboard underneath would work best.

Alex. said:
I'm not sure how comfortably you could use it though, because the weight distribution is obviously biased on the main unit, and typing on it while taking care so the unit won't fall can be stressful. I still think that a sliding screen with keyboard underneath would work best.
Only needs a slide out stand or something similar, coming out of the keyboards rear side, or the cradle's rear side, etc :)

I suppose that 4 rear triggers would be just about impossible, but I like the design, and I certainly could live without them B).

Alex. said:
You would have to hold with one hand and poke with the other. Or cradle it in an open hand. Not perfect. You can't actually "type" with any of these really anyway as the keyboard is too small.

Plus with this since the keyboard is detachable you could always attach a full size one with cradle at home, an international Kb etc. It is the most configurable.

Like the design DaveC, but I don't like the idea of a detachable 'anything'. Constructionwise I think it needs to be non-detachable, that seems more robust. You can even lose your keyboard... nope don't like it.

Epicenter can have a point, so I'd like to see Squidge, Craigix or someone else knowledged enough comment on his remarks. Any answer is ok by me, I kinda trust these guys ;)

I wonder if it would be comfortable to use the gaming controls with the keyboard out, seems like it would be awkward to hold. I suppose "take the keyboard off if you want to play games" is an answer... The DS has the controls on the bottom part (for good reason), but doing that would mean that the keyboard couldn't be removed (which would be terrible).

KeyboardCowboy said:
sam fisher said:
Epicentre, it's just a MMSP2+ as the base. They have hyped it up to sound around the level of the i.mx31 but I think that the freescale SoC is just too expensive to use.
"Epicentre"?

I researched into the MMSP2+ quite some time ago. Unfortunately it is a very primitive chip, and its inclusion in such a device would be a critical error. MagicEyes' demonstration of their inability to adhere to ARM reference standard typically cripples their designs. As a prime example, lack of direct memory access between CPU/Blitter/RAM in the MMSP2, resulting in comparatively poor blitting performance, a proprietary and limited multiprocessor interface, lack of implementation of a secondary memory mapper unit, etc. The MMSP2+ is also built with a primitive 130nm process that results in inefficient operation and inordinately heavy power consumption.

In addition, this model shows many of the design compromises of the MMSP2. Example: The coprocessor is a ARM946E-S part, which is scaled-down CPU much like the ARM940T. Again, it lacks an MMU which will make multiprocessor apps cumbersome and difficult to develop. Neither CPU contains an FPU, further limiting the capabilities of a device utilizing this architecture. The problems will be compounded if the system utilizes a shared memory bank for both CPUs, and the 2D/3D accelerator blocks such as the GP2X, resulting in wasted CPU time shuffling data about the varying components. This issue could be circumvented with full DMA access from all components to Main RAM, however I strongly doubt MagicEyes has implemented this. The previous iteration of the hardware, MMSP2, did not even implement DMA access between the SD card interface and Main RAM, resulting in the CPU slowing to 1% of its usual performance when any media was accessed.

While the MMSP2+ is a superior part to the MMSP2, its use would cripple the potential of the device and ensure a short lifespan.

KeyBoard Epicenter: :) (sorry, couldn't resist)
The MMSP2+ has two separate 16-bit DDR RAM interfaces, each with their own control, data and address lines. Now, I only have the same datasheet available online that you do, but what I hope to be true is that each physical interface can be mapped/controlled separately by each CPU core. This could mean much faster graphics and sound processing by separating tasks within the cores (lets hope they have fixed all of their DMA issues).

I do agree with everything else you have said and people should realize, that while possibly over critical for the forum it is posted in, the facts are true. Still, with this new setup, this chip should offer so much better performance than the MMSP2. I never bothered with the GP2X because it was a very limited device, but this "new" chip should be much more promising.

My other concern is the bandwidth needed to update an 800x480x32b display. That is usually a bottleneck with these fully integrated SOC's. With 3D processing enabled, one of the RAM banks (64MB) could be completely tied up in the video subsystem (frame buffer, texture data, Z buffer?) and code could run very slowly if placed here (which would then make one of the cores perform very badly as far as computational throughput goes). Since I have no experience using the chip, I look forward to hearing from someone like Squidge who has written code for it. I can't wait until the developers feel free to talk about the design.

I don't understand why Epicenter is forced to create new forum accounts to post his intelligent messages while I am able to log on at any time and mention how the fact that the GP2X's headphone jack is on the top of the unit spoils all the good that supposedly came from the GP2X.

Please don't ban me for this message.

PS. DaveC I like your design, but those dot-hole speakers are so late 90's-early 00's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back