Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
We came up with the scary name: CUBE Unifies Binary Entertainment Player for GP2X
You can just call it CUBE2X if you want though ;)

Here you go, this is the first alpha version.

Because it is the first alpha, be warned it IS stuttery.
Also be warned that music at 48000Hz will play too slow and music at 32000Hz will play too quickly!
I hope to address this in the future by doing some crude resampling.

DEVS: Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong with sound code which would cause the stuttering.

Info is in the readme. You pass the file to play with "-fFILENAME"
based on hcs's in_cube winamp plugin.

download CUBE2X0.1b

I forgot to mention: The source is in the archive! :)

Um... archive... there usually is for these things huh? ;) There are places. But personally I just rip the music myself from my own Game Cube games.

If you have a broadband adaptor you can rip your own games, then you extract the files from the disc image.
Of course there are other way to get Game Cube disc images... but we'll not talk about the torrent of options available to you.

As for the PSF suggestion I do think it would be cool, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to tackle it yet. I won't rule it out, but one step at a time and all :)
Personally I want a USF player on foobar2000 on the PC first ;)

I've made some progress:
A couple of tiny optimisations that don't seem to make any difference :p
Added the ability to tweak the number of samples in the buffer.
Added a quick hack that play the song at the correct rate. (Higher than 44100 sounds ok with it, lower sounds heavily distorted)

I can post an updated build if anyone is interested. I'm going to look into nearest neighbour resampling now.

Looking good with the new version Poke.
Can't believe how much you've improved it in the last couple of days.
Just the stuttering bug to sort out & your golden ;)

All results as expected..
01 at 32000 sounds f*cked with the samplehack, sng_vox01 at 48000 doesn't sound as bad.. just gritty.

Thanks for the comments Trip. Yes the sample hack works nicely in playing the song at the right speed and pitch. It's just a shame you get so much distortion on lower smapled stuff.

The good news is I have managed to write a crude resampler... the bad news is: It doesn't work :p
I'll try and sort this out in the meantime.
I've also figured out what is the main cause of stuttering is (I think)! Playback is currently unbuffered, so it only goes to get new samples when it runs out of samples to play!
Again I've written a buffering class, but this also doesn't work currently. The closest I have got is playing silence with the buffer(it was decoding the samples and trying to store them when there was space in the buffer.) I think this buffering can solve the stuttering, judging from the fact the text updates were no longer doing a freeze when the stutter would have normally occurred. Hope I can have a beta out soonish. But for now I have to do some uni work ;)

I'm a sucker for videogame music. My first love was "The Secret of Mana" by Squaresoft (then) on the SNES.

Keep up the good progress!

PokeParadox posted on Oct 15 2006 at 04:07 AM said:
but we'll not talk about the torrent of options available to you.
Was that a pun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well me answering that would be telling, wouldn't it!

Anyway I've been working closely with HCS, the author of the winamp in_cube plugin, and for whatever reason we can't seem to get it to play without stuttering... And my buffering is crap because it's too slow. I'm going to release my latest sources tomorrow and two build: one without my buffering, and on with.

I REALLY would appreciate the sage advice of wiser devs about how to get this playing nicely (It should be possible - HCS has ported the ADX component of in_cube to RockBox on iPod3g)

Back