Debian In An Extend

paddy said:
This is fucking fucked up - grrr i asked for a better way as in a normal everyday way of transfering files to the pandora and got no joy ,now with all the inserting removing of my sd card in the pandora guess what's happened ? :( ohh and btw thanks for that 3.5gb extend Stuckie :)

My pandora will not read my sd card in slot 2 :( i was going to free some space on my other 32gb card so i could put the 4gb extend on it but no need now :)

You broke your SD card slot?

Stuckie, can I modify this image after you figure out the fixes? I don't think my poor internet connection can cope with too many 1gb downloads. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can.. as the fixes will just be to a script called /root/chrootStart.sh inside the .extend file, or to the PND that launches it.. so you can just replace that with whatever I end up with.

As for the SD card, try taking it out and pushing it back in.. I've noticed sometimes my slots don't quite realise there's a card in there some times.

When i insert the card the light blinks very slightly on sd2 and nothing happens on sd1 it comes up right away ,i mean im not heavy handed or anything it just doesn't seem to pick the card up.

sd 2 light is faint and sd1 is bright ,i tried taking the battery out with a reboot.

paddy said:
When i insert the card the light blinks very slightly on sd2 and nothing happens on sd1 it comes up right away ,i mean im not heavy handed or anything it just doesn't seem to pick the card up.

Did you try switching it off and on again? :)

Is there anything i could type into the terminal to find out if its a software problem ? as to see if it's having trouble mounting.

[ 710.403686] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 710.410491] mmci-omap mmci-omap.1: MMC IRQ 0x208000 : ERRI DCRC
[ 710.410552] mmcblk0: error -84 transferring data
[ 710.415191] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 710.422027] mmci-omap mmci-omap.1: MMC IRQ 0x208000 : ERRI DCRC
[ 710.422119] mmcblk0: error -84 transferring data
[ 710.426788] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 742.692840] __ratelimit: 134 callbacks suppressed
[ 742.697570] keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 184
[ 742.846069] keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 184

any ideas man ? sorry to mess up this thread with my problems im gonna need to ask in the help section.

That sounds either like the card didnt insert properly ( happens with the slot loading things ) or an unhappy SD card.. check it in a card reader on your desktop and see if it's still picked up fine.

But yes, this thread is almost ten pages, so perhaps this isn't the place for this, I'm afraid.

paddy said:
[ 710.403686] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 710.410491] mmci-omap mmci-omap.1: MMC IRQ 0x208000 : ERRI DCRC
[ 710.410552] mmcblk0: error -84 transferring data
[ 710.415191] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 710.422027] mmci-omap mmci-omap.1: MMC IRQ 0x208000 : ERRI DCRC
[ 710.422119] mmcblk0: error -84 transferring data
[ 710.426788] end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7774200
[ 742.692840] __ratelimit: 134 callbacks suppressed
[ 742.697570] keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 184
[ 742.846069] keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 184

any ideas man ? sorry to mess up this thread with my problems im gonna need to ask in the help section.

You think you have problems? I just had to clear out 4gb of space on my laptop for the file to even unzip :lol:

I have a little hard-disk, yes.

The 3.5Gig version is up now: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/UbuntuExtend/ubuntu-arm-jaunty-desktop-3.5G.zip .. 570mb zip compared to the 1gig of the other.. interesting, eh?

[edit]
Actually, it's here now: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/UbuntuExtend/ubuntu-arm-jaunty-desktop-3.5G.7z
[/edit]

Stuckie said:
The 3.5Gig version is up now: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/UbuntuExtend/ubuntu-arm-jaunty-desktop-3.5G.zip .. 570mb zip compared to the 1gig of the other.. interesting, eh?

Does it matter that I'm using the bigger one? Will it have performance issues etc?

no, it's exactly the same thing.. I literally cp -R from one to the other, so the only reason it's smaller is the blocks are all bunched together as I haven't been using it to set stuff up inside it.

You have got 15minutes before I bugger off to bed, to come up with any issues/problems/remarks, else you'll be waiting till the morning at least!

Finally copied it over (took hours).

Um... how do I log in as a user? Also, touchscreen appears to have stopped working.

ctrl-alt-f7 also does nothing B)

for me touch screen stopped,crl alt del f7 does nothing but also i am stuck on the ubuntu background with nothing else also no right click and there were a few errors when it was booting,still amazing to see and hear that jingle :D

im gonna try to boot once more then sleep for work,great work btw you one clever man.

Try regrabbing the UbuntuExtend.pnd.. depending how quick you were in downloading it, I fixed a hiccup that wouldn't pass dbus through from Angstrom.. if that doesn't work, you'll have to wait till I get back from work tomorrow before I can sit down and figure it out.

Again for login, it's user: ubuntu and pass: pandora
If CTRL+ALT+F7 isn't working ( though in the youtube vid I posted you can see it does.. though perhaps the Pandora's keyboard is strange and not doing it right? in it's case it would be CTRL+ALT+FN+F7 ... ) you could grab console-tools for chvt and do the same as you would from Angstrom: sudo chvt 7

And yes, touchscreen isn't working.. I forgot that I've been using a usb keyboard and mouse as it's faster to check stuff, that I didn't check the touchscreen, sorry!

Even so, bravo to the fine gentleman.

I'm off to bed now.

smiley027.gif
smiley_yo.gif

Heh.. the 3.5gig Extend is quite knackered.. permission issues galore, I'll have to re-upload that when I get to work.
Did well last night didn't I? bleh...

4Gig one seems fine though, as it was the one I was actually using to set things up with.

[edit]
Bah, this really does need a re-upload :(
However, while that's beavering away, you can do the following to at least get in and start messing about a bit .. but you WILL have to re-download the 3.5gig file - which I've now removed for the time being to stop other people grabbing it. )

Mount Ubuntu as normal but on the zenity box telling you everything's complete, don't hit OK.
Open a Terminal.
sudo chroot /tmp/osextend
chown -R root:root /
chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu /home/ubuntu
exit

Now you can hit Ok.
Sorry about that, it was late and didn't have time to test it before uploading, considering it's a HUGE file!
I essentially missed out the sudo when copying the files between the mounts, so all the files are touched as my user.

You'll find this out when you attempt to use sudo and it complains that it's not suid root.. oops..
[/edit]

I don't blame you if you choose not to bother with the 3.5gb one m8 you have been at it for ages no need to do it on my account,if you find time later that would be great and thanks again for your work.

I can't seem to add users. It's locking me out and complaining... and without that I can't log into Ubuntu. <_<

I did mention that you'd have to add users "manually" because of Ubuntu's system services not being started. It's just a case of "adduser <username>" then doing "usermod -G admin,audio <username>" at least.
The way around it is to do "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus start" BUT! be aware of what you're doing here as you've just knocked out HAL so if you logout, you've lost input unless you've switched back to Angstrom and done "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart" before hand.

Of course, you could just use the ubuntu user I set up ;)

I'm trying to figure out if I can just start the services manually, or if there's any way at all of having HAL co-operate in a chroot ( it _almost_ starts after some fiddling with the init script to not do it's /proc check to see where it is. )

I think perhaps it's about time I stuck a page up on the Wiki, mainly because this topic has ballooned to ten pages, and the information is spread ALL over it, so missing things out like just how hacky this is, is a bit too easy.
[edit]
DONE!
http://pandorawiki.org/OS_Extend
[/edit]

I'm also starting to veer on the side that Ubuntu is a lost cause, as there's too many things dependent upon their services, and the later releases are wholly dependent on upstart, which just doesn't work no matter how much I prod it. And annoyingly, starting GDM manually doesn't work in this case either.
It isn't really till you start doing something mental as this till you realise just HOW different Ubuntu actually is from Debian ;)

[edit]
I have also deprecated the 4Gig extend and only going to be dealing with the 3.5Gig one.. it's exactly the same, just a bit smaller, so those already with the 4Gig one, don't panic ;)
Just one giant file instead of two on my server's a bit better!

The 3.5Gig one is here, in a 7zip ( as it compressed 300mb smaller ) http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/UbuntuExtend/ubuntu-arm-jaunty-desktop-3.5G.7z

Also, I think I'm going to work on Ubuntu another couple of days, then going to leave it and go back to Debian - I was having MUCH more success with Debian than I was with Ubuntu.

I do have a cunning plan, however.. but will need to see if I'm not too burnt out when I get back from work...
[/edit]

Back