Debian In An Extend

I've not had a chance to try this yet, but I guess it's what he said in the big Ubuntu post with Q and A's.

Hope that helps.

Stuckie said:
Stick the PND in your usual place for launching them.
Extract the zip to the root of your SD card/USB stick/mass storage device. Warning, it's about 3.5Gig!
Go to System->Start Ubuntu and follow the prompts.
Once GDM starts up, the default user is "ubuntu" with password "pandora"

Last edited by a moderator:
What's complaining and where are you adding the user?

If you're clicking the Add User button in the Administration menu, you've already logged in as the Ubuntu user, which is the default user :p
If you've somehow been dumped to a Terminal instead, that's a different error and I'll need name, rank and number! *cough* ( or more usefully, what you did to get there )

Stuckie said:
It might.. I'd need to have a quick look at it.. gimme a link to something that creates an Android rootfs and I'll see if I can come up with something :)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/android-2-2-froyo-source-code-available-today/

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.2.html

Does that get you there?

Stuckie said:
What's complaining and where are you adding the user?

If you're clicking the Add User button in the Administration menu, you've already logged in as the Ubuntu user, which is the default user :p
If you've somehow been dumped to a Terminal instead, that's a different error and I'll need name, rank and number! *cough* ( or more usefully, what you did to get there )

I had no idea what the default user was, so I loaded it up using the Debian extend option and did 'adduser blahblah'.

Stocker said:
Once GDM starts up, the default user is "ubuntu" with password "pandora"

Ah right. Sorry... I blame this stupid weather. It's making me so braindead!

SomeGuy99 said:
I had no idea what the default user was, so I loaded it up using the Debian extend option and did 'adduser blahblah'.

HAXX!! *cough* nice one though for figuring that out ;)
But yea that should've worked, but you missed out the groups to add to, which are at least admin and audio ( there are a bunch of others though )

SomeGuy99 said:
Ah right. Sorry... I blame this stupid weather. It's making me so braindead!

Weather is a bit mad.. doesn't help that I'm from up North, and it's a rather warmer climate in England ( there's this yellow ball of fire in the sky, and it doesn't rain every five minutes! what does it mean?! ) .. I'm also somewhat suspect-able to sudden pressure changes, which we just had as it was gloriously hot and sunny on Sunday, and has descended into somewhat miserable, dreach and dreary yesterday and today.

As I said though, I'm going to give Ubuntu another couple of days to see the error of it's ways, then I'm just going to give up on it and get Debian another shot instead.. specially I was getting reasonably far with that till I stupidly decided to attempt Ubuntu.

And Android.. I found what I needed on the Wiki, which led me to here: http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP which gives me a great starting point to get something up and running :)

I just ran Ubuntu on my Pandora. Amazing... Gnome and XFCE at the same time! And it didn't run all that badly either.

*Someguy picks up his Pandora, eyes it carefully at arms length*

"What ARE YOU?! My god, what evil in inside this thing?!"

We should just skin up Debian to look like Ubuntu and lie to people. Trust me, nobody will be hurt or upset. The Pandora will absorb our evils after all...

I think I very very nearly figured out the secret handshake...
I started up Ubuntu almost as normal, stopping at the last OK.
I started a Terminal.
I chrooted into the system: sudo chroot /tmp/osextend
I opened another Terminal tab ( File->New Tab )
I stopped Angstrom's dbus services: sudo /etc/init.d/dbus-1 stop
I started Ubuntu's services: sudo /etc/init.d/dbus start ( HAL will complain )
I started Angstrom's HAL deamon: sudo hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes ( to make sure! )
Once it had finished doing it's business, I clicked the Ubuntu Ok to continue.

First thing, I still had mouse and keyboard support! ( mostly, the dpad had stopped working.. )
Ubuntu also took a bit longer to load up, but I saw something new!
WiFi and Bluetooth icons on the system tray!
The WiFi had even detected my network! wouldn't let me login though.. though I suspect I left it logged in at Angstrom's end ( forgot to check )
However... still Ubuntu's sodding Admin services would not work, which infuriates me greatly as it seems to be sitting there sticking it's tongue out at me, and blowing raspberries.

That, my dear friends, is about all I can think of in getting Ubuntu to behave itself for the time being.
I'm going to have a quick look at Android, then I shall start getting Debian up to speed ( as I was enjoying that.. mainly because I got to use fluxbox again :) )

Stuckie said:
And Android.. I found what I needed on the Wiki, which led me to here: http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP which gives me a great starting point to get something up and running :)
Very cool.

Stuckie said:
That, my dear friends, is about all I can think of in getting Ubuntu to behave itself for the time being.
I'm going to have a quick look at Android, then I shall start getting Debian up to speed ( as I was enjoying that.. mainly because I got to use fluxbox again :) )

For Ubuntu - I'm assuming you've seen this and it wasn't any help...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/Beagle

Wish I had a Pandora to try this stuff out on. Who would have thought ordering 7 days in would result in an additional Two Months.

Keep up the fun stuff!

Yea, unfortunately that only wants to install on to an SD card ( actually two.. as that provides an installer image with a SquashFS filesystem, which expands to around 4gig ) and it uses 10.04 which has that hideous Upstart in it which doesn't play nice with chroots :(

Android looks like I'm going to have to compile from source as any pre-made rootfs I found caused segfaults as soon as I looked at them.

Think I'll work on getting Debian up and running for the weekend, then actually start working on a project!

Im transfering ubuntu arm to my sd right now ,ill update the ubuntu thread i made a while back,need to sort out drivers.

I really love this debian-approach !
Just to let you know :
- openoffice works (starts in about 10 secs !)
- gtk-gnutella works (let's start downloading)
- evolution works and connects to my exchange server
- even YOUTUBE works on firefox (using the zenwalker's flashlite files which are available for download). It might work on angstrom as well, but it seems to fight with swfdec. It doesn't work for all videos cause some require flash 10.

Having fun,
Chero

Yea, Debian is surprisingly nice and fast.. Ubuntu's a bit slow, but it's still pretty remarkable it even worked in this setup ( specially with all their services! )

Currently, my Pandora is beavering away with the whole compressed system that SomeGuy envisioned:
A Base extend for Debian
A GUI extend ( currently doing Enlightenment.. never actually fiddled with Enlightenment before so could be fun! )
A Home Overlay ( and possibly a Root Overlay should you want to install more stuff )

Then seeing if I can smash the Base and GUI together to create a fat Extend :)

These Extends will be SquashFS'd down a bit ( the Base has already gone from 250mb to about 115mb .. which is pretty nice )

One caveat I've noticed is that if you do a root overlay, you have to do it outside the Extend chroot, else it doesn't seem to like it. But it works, as I'm using that just now to create the GUI Extend.

Once I've a basic system up ( and documented it, of course ) I'll start work on the ExtendUtils GUI, which hopefully shouldn't be too bad.. but I'm giving myself about a week to work on it, as LudumDare is coming up, and I need to get some practice in ;)

[edit]
Ah now this is much better :)
I have touchscreen working in Debian, E17 ( and it's super quick! )

It's a bit fiddly to get multiple extends running.. but it does actually work.
I have however forgotten some bits out of debian_base, so I'm going to have to add them ( I forgot sudo! oops! and less and some other rather useful things )

Expect some Debian stuff by the end of the day.. I'll hopefully have:
Debian_Base.extend
Debian_E17.extend-addon

And ExtendUtils updated to support loading multiple Extends and Addons.

Ah, except that this brings with it some interesting problems as we've pretty much mangled Apt a bit if you link up multiple add-ons! hmm.. that'll need some thinking about.

Think I might need to come up with some form of version support, else this could get messy, that and possibly a new extension for everything.

How about:
.extend - "Fat" Extend (Read-Write?)
.osextend - Base OS Extend (Read-Only)
.extend-addon - Addon for OS Extend (Read-Only)
.extend-overlay - Generic Overlay (Read-Write)

or, if we do go with the "kitten" idea:
.garfield - "Fat" Extend (Read-Write)
.cat - Base OS Extend (Read-Only)
.kitten - Addon for OS Extend (Read-Only)
.odie - Generic Overlay (Read-Write)

Though I'm open to suggestions ;)
[/edit]

Wow, the first post scared me off earlier but then I heard that it is just a matter of downloading and running some files. You should really put that at the top. :)

It works very well. However I tried to install python-qt4 with aptitude and it failed with some weird symlink issue I could not resolve. Now aptitude does not launch anymore, it just sits there and eats cpu. Does installing python-qt4 work for anyone (backup your extend file before trying!)?

Well, it's still a bit hacky.. once I've got at least one distribution behaving itself completely and a nice GUI to just start it up and everything, I'll think about perhaps letting the greater masses at it. If the first post scares a lot of people till they get to the bottom for the moment, so be it! Means I don't get inundated with masses of help requests ;)

As for python-qt4.. may want to make sure you had enough room.. QT4 can be pretty big if I mind right.. what I'm currently working on is basicaly compressed "base" extends, and then an overlay of whatever size you like that you write into.. that means you wont have lost most of a 4gig extend in just system files before you get to mess with it.

I'm taking my time with it as I'm a bit burnt out just now.. work's a bit crazy and Ubuntu pissed me off a fair bit with it's upstart thing not working well in a chroot at all, so I haven't been devoting as much time to this as I used to.. but it'll be done soon, it's just the scripts I'm working on now.

Really looking forward to try this. Take your time. It's very much appreciated.

The compressed bases sounds fantastic.

Thanks again.

I managed to install python-qt4 in the 4GB one. Thanks!

Since the first post shows a Synaptic window I assumed I could run GUI applications installed in the extend easily. But that seems not possible or am I just stupid? :)
I am using the debian-sid-synaptic.4GbExtend.zip and get this error trying to run for example tuxeyes:

No protocol specified
run.py: cannot connect to X server :0.0

Back