Debian In An Extend

Works like a charm. Thank you! Now I got Wikipedia-on-the-go with aarddict. Awesome!

If I accidentally closed the shell it automatically opened, how do I get a new one?

Stuckie said:
Apologies for taking my time with the next iteration.. essentially crunch time at work just now.

Take your time, with what we have already we can play as much as we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I've installed the 2 files from the quickstart guide on page 1.

Have a terminal window up called OS Extend

typed in synaptic and got the following

No protocol specified

(synaptic:1908):Gtk-warning **: cannot open display :0.0

Apologies if I am being VERY stupid

Any help appreciated

CJ

DrCJBoduma said:
Hi,

I've installed the 2 files from the quickstart guide on page 1.

Have a terminal window up called OS Extend

typed in synaptic and got the following

No protocol specified

(synaptic:1908):Gtk-warning **: cannot open display :0.0

Apologies if I am being VERY stupid

Any help appreciated

CJ

Stuckie said:
Ah, there's a few ways around this... lifting the X securities on host ( probably what you want ) and doing an Xnest.

In a terminal in Angstrom, do:
xhost local:localhost

That should get it running.. thought I had that in the script.. must've taken it out by accident!

Hi stuckie,
as you just suggestd on the IRC, I am now posting here.
I have a problem. Downloaded the 2GB Debian extend and use the ExtendUtils.pnd's System / Extend Root to load that extend.
However, all I get is a terminal with curdir /var/volatile/tmp/rootExtend. That's it.
if I try to do an "ls" or "mount" there, it tells me "error while loading shaared libraries: libselinux.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoy.

I guess something is broken. But what?

Thanks for any hint.

Daniel

Yea, the naming of things are going to change a bit, so it's more obvious as to what you're doing.

What you're trying to do, daniel3000, is mount an OS Extend, so just do as Alerino suggests.
An OS Extend is essentially a chroot jail, and there's currently Debian, Arch and Ubuntu prototypes kicking about.
A Root Extend on the other hand, is just an "overlay" that forwards all writes to Angstrom's root to the Extend file system.

I've almost finished working on a new script set, I just need to test it some more and write up documentation ( as well as rename the existing extends to make it more apparent what they are. )
I'm still abusing the Zenity stuff for the moment, but the new set of scripts will essentially create a custom mount script for you, which you can either run through the ExtendUtils system, or just pull up a terminal and run yourself.
This means that I can get a proper GUI done somewhat easier, as it can essentially do the same thing - build up a script file to run and save it.

It'll also support the following:
* Base Extends - compressed, read-only OS Extends that just contains a base system. For example, a clean Stage 3 of Gentoo, or fresh debootstrap of Debian.
* Addon Extends - compressed, read-only Extends for a specific Base that adds major functionality if needed. Sortof stealing the Puppy Linux idea here, where an Addon could be a Window Manager for example.
* Combined Extend - uncompressed, read-write Extend that combines a Base with one or more Addons and a Root Overlay. This is essentially what the current OS Extends are, and is useful for just immediately mucking about. Can also be compressed, read-only and require a Root Overlay if preferred.
* Root Overlays - uncompressed, read-write Extends that go over the entire root file system. May or may not come with additional functionality. The current Dev Extend fits in this category. These can go over either the Angstrom / or the Base/Addon Extends' Root.
* Home Overlays - uncompressed, read-write Extends that just go over your /home hierarchy.
* Swap Extends - uncompressed, read-write Extends for swap (ab)use.
* Mounting multiple Extends in read-only and read-write configurations.
* Building a custom mount script specific to your needs.
* Highly experimental and hacked up support for combining multiple Extends into one file.
* Some actual documentation and help as to what on earth is going on!

Currently, the Addon Extends ( and possibly the Root Overlays, actually ) have a "bug" in that if there are multiple copies of a package manager, the last one mounted takes precedence. This is somewhat annoying as it means if you have a Base Extend and more than one Addon Extend, you might not see the packages for the first Addon as being "installed." I should be able to fix this by a setup phase which essentially just concatenates all the Base and Addon extends' package file into one large one, and store it in your Overlay.

Although the scripts will be supporting quite a lot of combinations, there are reasons for it:
* Combined Extends are useful due to the limited amount of loop points we have, and can be compressed if needed ( though this automatically makes them read-only and require an Overlay if you want to save anything. )
* Base and Addon Extends are good for large sets of packages and maintaining some sort of order.. these are possibly for the more advanced abuse of the system, and directly nicked from Puppy Linux as SomeGuy suggested earlier in this mammoth thread.
* Overlays are great for protecting your NAND and they're split into root and home for good reason - you may only want to have a Home overlay and not mind installing stuff to Root or re-flashing often, but want to save your own files. Conversely, like with my own Dev environment setup, I have a Root overlay containing the dev tools, and a Home overlay containing my code and projects, which allows me to jump back to "vanilla" Angstrom and see if my code still works, or if I need to pack additional libraries!
* Swap can be useful in places where you're really taxing the Pandora.. although it takes a hellova lot to do it, sometimes having a bit of swap as a fall back makes you feel safer. Obviously don't go overboard with greater than 256MB as there's no point; but SD cards are still cheaper and easier to replace than the NAND so swapping to SD - though it'll be slow - may help bigger programs run.
* And essentially, it's the changing of one line to support something else.. so might as well push the functionality up to you guys :)

It's getting there... I'll put myself out there and say I should be done in the coming week with it; perhaps even this weekend!
Just lots of testing to do - especially in the OS Extend stuff as it tries to automatically setup a Terminal or an X Session for you.. and of course attempting to figure out the ever-present un-mounting ability that has eluded us... there'll be a way!

ok *blush* I had used the "Extend Root" menu entry before.
Now, using the correct menu entry, I get a terminal where ls and mount work without an error message ;-)

But how to proceed? I don't know Debian. E.g. how to start (or apt-get if it isn't there) OpenOffice for example?

If I try to start synaptic, I get "cannot open display: :0.0"

Thanks a lot!
Daniel

That's the xhost regression issue that I haven't updated yet, do this in an Angstrom terminal:

xhost local:localhost

apt-get is available as is synaptic.
Open Office will run, but beware the large download that'll ensue!

--edit--
Ahh.. now I see why there's a lot of people suddenly descending upon this.. it got posted up on the blog and stuff!
For those new to this topic, as nasty large as it is, I do advise you to read through it somewhat, or to look over the wiki page here: http://pandorawiki.org/OS_Extend which is a somewhat condensed version with some help and FAQs.

thanks so far.
Now trying to install packages via synaptic.
But I always get "could not resolve "ftp.us.debian.org". Have they changed something for the repositories?
Thanks!
Daniel

Are you connected normally in Angstrom?
It could be that the resolv.conf didn't get copied over correctly... in Angstrom try this:

sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /tmp/debextend/etc/resolv.conf

( I think.. it might be either debextend or osextend ... my local changes to ExtendUtils are quite extensive at the moment... )

thanks Stuckie, now it's downloading packages :)
it downloads and installs into the extend, not into the rootfs, right?

Daniel

Stuckie said:
Ahh.. now I see why there's a lot of people suddenly descending upon this.. it got posted up on the blog and stuff!

I've also been pimping this thread on the forums.

That new Pandora still hasn't arrived. :(

Hi Stuckie,

is it possible to automate the extend mounting and starting of an application inside Debian in a way, e.g. using shell scripts, that I can generate a .desktop file and thus generate a menu entry for XFCE, in order to simplify launching of a program under Debian?

(Well, actually I am quite sure this is possible, but first wanted to ask you before researching too much. Maybe you are currently working on similar things.)

My idea would be to have a script, which checks wether Debian is already running. If it's not, mount the extend / start Debian environment, and then start the desired application inside Debian. If it is, do not mount the extend / start Debian once more but hand the command fro the desired applications over directly to the running Debian environment.

And another question:
Is it possible to access the normal Angstrom filesystem from within Debian?
if I go to /home/daniel under Debian, my "home" is empty, although under Angstrom there are contents.
However, the SD cards and USB storage devices seem to be accessible normally, right?
And how can I access my original home?

Thanks!
Daniel

Yes, it's somewhat possible.. I'm just throwing the latest Extend Utils script through some more tests before releasing it to the wild - it effectively creates mount scripts now, which you can then edit later to do whatever you need.

I say somewhat possible, as it depends a bit on what program it is, as some of them are not going to be hugely happy with being run directly from the chroot command ( which is where you'd need to do it.. instead of the usual "sudo chroot /tmp/mount /bin/bash" it would be "sudo chroot /tmp/mount /bin/bash -e /path/to/program" .. and not all of them are happy about doing that! )
Best way would be to have a bunch of scripts in the chroot environment that you call, so it can set things up inside the environment if need be... this is how the Ubuntu Extend works.. there's a chrootStart.sh in it's /root folder that gets triggered when mounting the environment.

As for accessing your home, the new script will mount Angstrom's root to /Angstrom within your chroot environment, so you'll be able to access it that way.. granted you'll have two "home" folders effectively, but remember that Angstrom's /home will be unprotected on the NAND, so I didn't want a random OS to start mangling it by accident!

The new script will be up soon.. it's over 500 lines long and seriously abuses BASH and Zenity scripting ;)

--edit--
I've done some extensive updating to the Wiki to coincide with all the changes.
The Extend Utils suite is pretty effectively documented now: http://pandorawiki.org/Extend_Utils
Tested so far:
Current Debian Extends - work without issue as "classic uncompressed OS Extend" files.
Compressed Extend with Read-Write Overlay ( on separate SD cards as well.. just for fun )
Swap
Home Overlay
Root Overlay
Dev Extends

Untested in current build:
Ubuntu Extends

I'll be updating this post as I check off each one, then do a "release" post.

Given up now.. posting it up for other people to test, as others are sure to find more bugs than I can, due to the clever ways people think up to break things!

Back