Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleng said:
And whilst no battery would be a bit of a shame, it'd mean at least I could plaaaaaaaaay anywhere near a power socket :)

Doesn't the FAQ/wiki state that the chipset cannot be used without a battery? ie, you can use it plugged in with a flat/dead batter but not with no battery?

on another note, how will the de-ordered preorders be sold? I know the first post said there would be an announcement but as I missed the pre-order and would love to get in on this thing I'm wondering if there's anything I can/should do to improve my chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stick around here. You'll get one if you're keen.

Also, I like the change j.pickens made. As long as it doesn't create a gap for dirt and grit to get to the screen.

Then i definitely think the dev's should look at it, after all, we want this to be the best it can right? :)

Great work!

As for the casing, it looked like a lunch box to me......

For my preference, I like the sharp, professional ThinkPad style

normal_1z60t_main_closed.jpg

66a2f27437.jpg

PhillipJ said:
Doesn't the FAQ/wiki state that the chipset cannot be used without a battery? ie, you can use it plugged in with a flat/dead batter but not with no battery?
You are right!

IIRC the battery connector is only two pin according to some pictures of dev-boards. So it should be possible to imitate a battery with a regulated source or use an other battery with similar ratings, eg. a NiMH battery-pack. You could tape a battery-holder to the bottom and charge the batteries outside frequently.
Scratch that, it's three-pin.

Thanks for the update Craig, reordering by bank transfer today.

Good luck with the final push!

craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the postage cost.
If it can arrive by next week, I'd like to request one of these for myself.

I am an Ubuntu developer (Scott Ritchie), and next week is the Ubuntu Developer Summit. With Ubuntu now having an official ARM port, it would be very nice to have one of these devices to showcase to the other developers at the summit, especially the mobile team. I have no doubt I can get more developers interested in making it (and all packages for it) working well.

What's the possible hold-up with the batteries, not available, not decided, kernel not finalised so can't be charged, etc.?

Thanks for the update, feeling far more optimistic now :)

mali said:
IIRC the battery connector is only two pin according to some pictures of dev-boards. So it should be possible to imitate a battery with a regulated source or use an other battery with similar ratings, eg. a NiMH battery-pack. You could tape a battery-holder to the bottom and charge the batteries outside frequently.
Scratch that, it's three-pin.

First dev boards worked by connecting a regulated 3.3V supply to the battery terminals, so it's possible. Hopefully the final release of the board will allow power without a battery so you don't need to hook up to those terminals (just use the regular DC in connection).

Squidge said:
First dev boards worked by connecting a regulated 3.3V supply to the battery terminals, so it's possible. Hopefully the final release of the board will allow power without a battery so you don't need to hook up to those terminals (just use the regular DC in connection).
Great!
Thanks for the info :)

MiniSinisterMinister said:
I the final unit still going to be black?
AFAIK, it was always the general consensus, that it will be black.
I think it is extremely unlikely, that it won't be black.

PhillipJ said:
Basically, yes. But MichaelW did some magic here and fixed that for MK3 (which is the one used for production) :)

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Guys don't worry about the color it is just a CAD render to show contour.

The final color is not set in stone but will probably be bright pink.
Don't forget some little ponies or kittens for the finishing touch.

craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the postage cost.
I'm pretty sure this is not the right place for it, but lacking a better one: I'd love this option as well. I have a pretty early pre-order and payed for express shipping, so yes, I'd love to have it asap, and don't mind a beta os or missing the battery for a bit.

Please let us know how we can sign up for this ;)

EvilDragon said:
PhillipJ said:
Basically, yes. But MichaelW did some magic here and fixed that for MK3 (which is the one used for production) :)

He's a warlock! Burn him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back