Does The Openpandora Team Need To Communicate More?

Does the team need to communicate more?

• Yes, I would like more regular information

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think they do a good job already

• Can't decide

• Don't care either way

• Total voters

"Does the Openpandora Team Need to Communicate More?"

No. We in the community simply need to complain less :p

Yes we will take paypal, well gbax will.

That's it.

As chip said, ordering is a pretty simple process of just entering your credit card number and address.

craigix said:

That's it.

As chip said, ordering is a pretty simple process of just entering your credit card number and address.
Glad to hear you'll take Paypal, thanks for the clarification :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Grimes said:
craigix said:

That's it.

Glad to hear you'll take Paypal, thanks for the clarification :)

Will any particular payment method bring the core Pandora devs greater profit? My last sale via paypal set me back ~$6-7 on a $200 item. I'd hate to see the dev's suffer because I chose paypal over credit card.

Unfortunately, the "Tick Tick Tick" thread by chad78 was closed while I was typing up a response, but I feel my post is also sort of relevant in this thread so, if nobody minds, I'll post it here:

Geez, some of you guys need to lighten up in your attitude towards chad. Just because a decent chunk of the community doesn't like him doesn't mean that it should be okay to post nothing but insults at him. Really, you can say that he may have done the same in the past, but does that mean that you have to as well? Talk about immaturity...

chad78 said:
It's already Sept 30 in a good chunk of the world. About an hour left here. No videos of a completed Pandora. No videos of the GUI. No pictures of the keyboard. No picture of the final case. Yeah for a video of Ubuntu - but no Firefox? I thought that was promised *MONTHS* ago.

Once again - the Pandora team comes through on their promises... Oh, wait.
What do you mean by "completed Pandora"? We kind of already knew for a while that we wouldn't see the final case until production actually started (hence a decent amount of time after pre-orders), so it should be no surprise that there are no pictures of the final case. A video of a functioning, fully assembled Pandora (not in the final case, of course) would have been really nice and a good video for the pre-order, but I was under the impression that this was impossible because the LCD cable was too big/long for the case (so they wouldn't be able to have a working, assembled model until they re-order the LCD cable, which is quite expensive).

Videos of the GUI would also be nice, but we already know that it'll be like Gmenu2X. Personally, seeing the GUI before pre-order isn't a big deal to me and is one of the least of my worries.

You have legitimate complaints about the lack of pictures of the keyboard. I wish they would have put up some nice, high quality pictures of ALL of the controls before pre-orders, particularly an HD video of the D-Pad in action (though I guess they can't show the D-Pad in action because they can't get their hands on a functioning, fully-assembled Pandora...). Still, I believe they should be able to take pictures of all the controls? We all know how important the controls/inputs on the Pandora are to us...

It is disappointing that they still haven't shown us a video of Firefox running either, but I can see them saying to just look at videos of the Beagleboard instead.

I believe one reason people are complaining about the lack of information before pre-orders is due to the nature of this pre-order. It actually seems like the actual purchase itself. Either "pre-order" it tomorrow/this week, or wait until some time in 2009. So, if convincing videos/media that people have been complaining about the lack of show up in the next couple weeks or so...well, then these people are sort of out of luck until 2009. So, I can see people feeling pressured into a do or die type of situation where the Pandora is actually for sale for a limited time only tomorrow. Accordingly, it's not so out of the ordinary for people to be disappointing by a lack of information (as opposed to "normal" pre-order situations).

Just to quote notaz regarding Firefox not appearing in the ubuntu video.

notaz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOPNurKei0I

Higher quality video:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/videos/ubuntu_pandora.avi

Ubuntu 7.04 by Handhelds Mojo. A bit slow, but mostly works. Used xfce as desktop environment. Wanted to show Firefox, but it doesn't start for some reason (eats 100% CPU for ~2min and then does nothing). Will try upgrading to 8.04.

As you can see, He has indeed tried running Firefox, But for some unknown reason, It failed to load.

Trooper

Azure said:
Unfortunately, the "Tick Tick Tick" thread by chad78 was closed while I was typing up a response, but I feel my post is also sort of relevant in this thread so, if nobody minds, I'll post it here:

Geez, some of you guys need to lighten up in your attitude towards chad. Just because a decent chunk of the community doesn't like him doesn't mean that it should be okay to post nothing but insults at him. Really, you can say that he may have done the same in the past, but does that mean that you have to as well? Talk about immaturity...

chad78 said:
It's already Sept 30 in a good chunk of the world. About an hour left here. No videos of a completed Pandora. No videos of the GUI. No pictures of the keyboard. No picture of the final case. Yeah for a video of Ubuntu - but no Firefox? I thought that was promised *MONTHS* ago.

Once again - the Pandora team comes through on their promises... Oh, wait.
What do you mean by "completed Pandora"? We kind of already knew for a while that we wouldn't see the final case until production actually started (hence a decent amount of time after pre-orders), so it should be no surprise that there are no pictures of the final case. A video of a functioning, fully assembled Pandora (not in the final case, of course) would have been really nice and a good video for the pre-order, but I was under the impression that this was impossible because the LCD cable was too big/long for the case (so they wouldn't be able to have a working, assembled model until they re-order the LCD cable, which is quite expensive).

Videos of the GUI would also be nice, but we already know that it'll be like Gmenu2X. Personally, seeing the GUI before pre-order isn't a big deal to me and is one of the least of my worries.

You have legitimate complaints about the lack of pictures of the keyboard. I wish they would have put up some nice, high quality pictures of ALL of the controls before pre-orders, particularly an HD video of the D-Pad in action (though I guess they can't show the D-Pad in action because they can't get their hands on a functioning, fully-assembled Pandora...). Still, I believe they should be able to take pictures of all the controls? We all know how important the controls/inputs on the Pandora are to us...

It is disappointing that they still haven't shown us a video of Firefox running either, but I can see them saying to just look at videos of the Beagleboard instead.

I believe one reason people are complaining about the lack of information before pre-orders is due to the nature of this pre-order. It actually seems like the actual purchase itself. Either "pre-order" it tomorrow/this week, or wait until some time in 2009. So, if convincing videos/media that people have been complaining about the lack of show up in the next couple weeks or so...well, then these people are sort of out of luck until 2009. So, I can see people feeling pressured into a do or die type of situation where the Pandora is actually for sale for a limited time only tomorrow. Accordingly, it's not so out of the ordinary for people to be disappointing by a lack of information (as opposed to "normal" pre-order situations).

Hi Azure, about Chad-it's just that his attitude of constant complaining, self grandiosity on you tube without a hint of self irony (the guy truly loves himself, which I suppose is handy for him particularly) and general unpleasantness towards the developers has just worn us down. This is a homebrew project in essence-not Sony or Apple. If it has taken a little longer to get this thing to this stage, almost all of us understand. But 'children' who have no idea of the various hang ups and problems that can come out of nowhere and yet think it's cool to just carp all the time of course can post this here, and we are free to point out what utter nice people they are, that if they act like this in the 'real life' (yes, it does exist, nerds!) then they will be always surrounded by friends, and really will one day loose their virginities to a woman AND NOT have to pay for it!

I should be a life coach. For geeks. I...I understand them, thanks to you guys!

what happened to that thread, anyway, i went to sleep before it got closed. did chad ever reply?

Back