Dosbox 0.72-1 For Gp2x

Did you tweak the sound buffering code (underrun detection)?

Is it possible to get smooth sound on older games using cpu=max?

How many cycles can you get with prince of persia, 11khz sound and sb1 emulation before the sound breaks up?

Did you have to change anything in the source to prevent segfaults when generating .gcda profile data? Mine segfaults whenever I run with -fprofile-generate

thanks

In general ive found the games that use sound blaster dont always sound the best. I think the our dosbox version doesnt have enough speed to do the vga gfx's and the sound. There may be some exceptions.
I think that if we did get a dynarec into there would be greater possability that it would work better.

pupnik said:
Did you tweak the sound buffering code (underrun detection)?
No, but i did change the default setting, i.e sample rate and buffer size

pupnik said:
Is it possible to get smooth sound on older games using cpu=max?
You can try it, i havnt had much success with max on the gp2x. Try the new ON-SCREEN-DISPLAY im actually surprised no one has said anything about it. I inlcuded some mappings in the duke1 example. To turn it on its stick click + select.

pupnik said:
How many cycles can you get with prince of persia, 11khz sound and sb1 emulation before the sound breaks up?
I actually run this with pcspeaker sound enaled. Seems pretty fast and playable.

pupnik said:
Did you have to change anything in the source to prevent segfaults when generating .gcda profile data? Mine segfaults whenever I run with -fprofile-generate
thanks

Nope havnt seen that at all, I think I did have it crash once. I try not to do the profiling too much as it takes time to do and you have to start from the beginning if any of the source changes. You are running the the profiled version in exactly the same folder?
I do mine in /mnt/sd/tmp/src.

I have a typo in my duke1 example, this is good for left/right games that dont use the up/down
key_up "key 97"
key_left "key 99"
key_down "key 101"
key_right "key 103"
key_left "key 98"
key_left "key 100"
key_right "key 102"
key_right "key 104"

Heres my persia mapper setup for stick movement is all directions
key_up "key 97"
key_left "key 99"
key_down "key 101"
key_right "key 103"
key_left "key 98"
key_up "key 98"
key_left "key 100"
key_down "key 100"
key_right "key 102"
key_down "key 102"
key_right "key 104"
key_up "key 104"
key_lshift "key 109"
key_rshift "key 112"
key_lctrl "key 114"
key_q "key 113"
key_esc "key 105"
Here the OSD keys, really all you need is hand_g2debug to turn it on, but it doesnt make sense to use without it.
hand_cycleup "key 113 mod1"
hand_cycledown "key 114 mod1"
hand_decfskip "key 107 mod1"
hand_incfskip "key 108 mod1"
hand_g2debug "key 106 mod1"
mod_1 "key 115"

Senor Quack said:
OK, this is great I just tried out XCOM1 UFO Defense and it loads! I downloaded the 1.4 patch and applied it. I disabled all sound to try to get a good first experience. I had problems with pointer accuracy until I turned the fullscreen option on (I imagine this would be fixed to allow unscaled usage of the touchscreen sometime in the future).
I will mention it again anyone with touchscreen must enable scaling, use under [sdl] section a parameter called gp2x_fullscreen=true. It will scale up to 320x240. The current SDL lib assumes the current video mode was streched. If the SDL lib is updated another version could be released.

Senor Quack said:
Unfortunately, once I enter the geoscape screen, I can move the cursor about by tapping here and there with the stylus, but no clicks are registered. I clicked fine before entering the Geoscape (you have to click a few buttons to enter the game). For the button mappings, I just copied the Duke1 example file (as I really have no clue how to configure it, it doesn't have any references to GP2X buttons, still confused there)

Anyway. thanks for the release, hope someone can help me out a bit.

try the option above i think it will help. You dont really need buttons expect for base names/saved games.
Gruso said:
I threw this pic together as a quick reference
NOTE: Pic has been updated, keys 111 & 112 (X and Y) were swapped... oops. My info came straight from the wiki, which is incorrect.
I believe that the shoulders buttons are swaped between the F100/F200, so the wiki is right for teh F100

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Senor Quack said:
OK, this is great I just tried out XCOM1 UFO Defense and it loads! I downloaded the 1.4 patch and applied it. I disabled all sound to try to get a good first experience. I had problems with pointer accuracy until I turned the fullscreen option on (I imagine this would be fixed to allow unscaled usage of the touchscreen sometime in the future).
I will mention it again anyone with touchscreen must enable scaling, use under [sdl] section a parameter called gp2x_fullscreen=true. It will scale up to 320x240. The current SDL lib assumes the current video mode was streched. If the SDL lib is updated another version could be released.

Senor Quack said:
Unfortunately, once I enter the geoscape screen, I can move the cursor about by tapping here and there with the stylus, but no clicks are registered. I clicked fine before entering the Geoscape (you have to click a few buttons to enter the game). For the button mappings, I just copied the Duke1 example file (as I really have no clue how to configure it, it doesn't have any references to GP2X buttons, still confused there)

try the option above i think it will help. You dont really need buttons expect for base names/saved games.
No, I did change the config file to use that option after I read the readme file after encountering the problem. It allows me to click by tapping just fine once I enter the main menu, but after entering the geoscape, tapping no longer registers clicks. In a little while, I'll look into perhaps adding a link between GP2X buttons and DOS mouse buttons. I really prefer being able to click by pressing a button anyways, as the touchscreen is never very accurate. Hopefully it will be possible :)

Pickle said:
Senor Quack said:

The Geoscape does not work, because it need mouse clicking-and-dragging, which is not supported yet.

Alex. said:
Awesome, thank you! I used Streak's app (thank you Streak) until now, but this will make things speedier :)
You're welcome. If ill find my old sourcecodes from DosBox Blast! i'll make a small update...

BTW. any propositions what could i add to new dosbox blast! build ? anyone ? :D

I did some tests with same games on another thread, here.

Here are some more tests (all without overclocking and sb1 sound):

- Hostage - works, video perfect, audio almost perfect
- Karateka - works full speed with sound (pcspeaker), just need to remember which keys are used to kick!
- Lemmings 2 - works, audio lagging, touchscreen not working correctly
- Prince of Persia - works, video and audio a little slow
- Sokoban - works perfectly
- Winter Games - works perfectly
- World Games - works perfectly

Must try civilization now!

StreaK said:
Alex. said:
Awesome, thank you! I used Streak's app (thank you Streak) until now, but this will make things speedier :)
You're welcome. If ill find my old sourcecodes from DosBox Blast! i'll make a small update...

Can you release the source at some point? I hate for the work youve done to get lost.

You could add in the ability to configure the new mapper options for zoom and osd.
Unlock the stick and dpad buttons for other keys, maybe add in the diag's
Add in an option for the gp2x_fullscreen for the dosbox.conf.

This are some the things off the top of my head.

Hitnrun said:
Pickle said:
Senor Quack said:

The Geoscape does not work, because it need mouse clicking-and-dragging, which is not supported yet.

ah yes, i forgot about that "feature".

Just tried it out; Zeliard works at almost full speed with sound disabled.

quadomatic said:
What games would you recommend to someone not too familiar with dos games?
I'm not sure if these work well, but the Commander Keen and the Bio Menace games are pretty good (Bio Menace was released by Apogee as freeware 2 years ago). Pretty much any game published by Apogee Software was great. I also liked Monster Bash and Hocus Pocus. I'm not sure how well those games run...

good release thnx Pickle :)

StreaK said:
It's a good app, In my opinion it'll be good an unbind button option, and also the option to change the pad buttons, for me, that's enough.

Is tere any settings to play prince of persia 2 at reasonable speed?. I manage to run it but it's awfully slow?

quadomatic said:
What games would you recommend to someone not too familiar with dos games?
Not sure how these would run, but:

Adventures (if you like ScummVM, you'll like these):
Quest for Glory I, II, possibly III (all amazing, and not supported properly by interpreters for the most part - or not the VGA ones at least)
Ecoquest 1, 2 (both amazing games, especially 2 - possibly one of my favourites of all time)
Gabriel Knight I, II (ok, possibly not II, but I should work)
Shadow of the Comet (maybe - I never got into it, but it's supposed to be amazing)
Prisoner of Ice (not sure if it'll run - ran very well on my 16MHz 386, though, so it's conceivable)

Platform/action/etc:
Commander Keen 1-6 (NB that 1-3 are already playable using CloneKeen)
Crystal Caves, Secret Agent Sam (puzzle platformers)
The Monuments of Mars (will definitely run, good puzzle platformer that can be pretty hard at times)
Alleycat (just because)
Sopwith 2 (NB that there's a GP32 port for this, and may be a GP2x one, but I can't remember)
Hocus Pocus (awesome platform game with amazing music)
Machiavelli: The Prince (turn based trading and political strategy - very intricate, and lack of smooth animations mean it probably doesn't matter whether it's full speed or not)

Unlikely to run, but maybe worth a try:
Terminal Velocity (Amazing voxel-based shooter - still stands as one of the best games of it's type I've ever played, mostly because of the tunnels, as well as *just how fast* you went under afterburner)
Frontier Elite 2 (although tbh, the GP2x version is probably better)
Frontier: First Encounters (I *think* it just about ran on my 386, but I'd guess it'll be SLOW)

That do for the time being?

I've got the following games installed:

Archon
Time Bandit
Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain
Bubble Bobble
Civilization
Defender of the Crown
Elite
Gauntlet 1
Gauntlet 2
Lemmings
Loderunner
Mechwarrior
Prince of Persia
Pirates
Raiden
Robotron
Silpheed
Sokoban
Star Wars
Summer Games II
Uridium
Vette
Winter Games
World Games
Xenon 2

Now I know a lot of these are available on other platforms but I originally played a lot of these games on my friend's PC.
A lot of these games are simple CGA/EGA games - I think this is the key to successfully run games on DOSBOX - don't aim too high! You'll have a lot more fun with games that can have controls adequately mapped and that aren't too demanding in the first place.

slaanesh said:
I've got the following games installed:
If you have these working well, please upload configs and mapper files to the archive. I would really like to see how Mechwarrior runs - how did you manage to map so many keys? Or have you left some things out?

quasist said:
Is the USB keyboard works with cradle?
Nope,

I am afraid I am still working on that for Pickle and Hitnrun, if I get it working properly I think DOSBox and ScummVM will be the 1st apps to see it :D.

Pickle and Hitnrun,

You already know this but awesome work :D.

Wow, DosBox on GP2X really works! :) Nice. I have tried it with Keen4, even my old Savegames work after 15 Years or so and the good old PC-Speaker-Sound is also very familar :D.
The whole config and Mapping thing is very frustrating, a good Frontend for GP2X would be great, where you can map the Buttons and set the cfg. straight out of the program without using a PC or external Editor.
It took some time to get Keen4 to work, the Example files from the Wiki are incomplete, there are no diagonals in the Button-Mapping for example and it was a little bit of work to set diagonals for the Game.

I haven't tried the ingame-Menu but the scaling example from the readme works. I can't switch back to unscaled mode but however, all in all the DosBox on the GP2X is a nice gimmic. :)

Back