Release DosBox EX - Ultimate

ah, i heard about it. And that was done legally but it was wrong ethically AFAIC because they're having only IP's and they're unsure even what names/surnames under these IP's were. It was "lawyer's scam". They though that if the downloaders will send info with apologising to damage done, then they could sue them , because they said they download something.. it was a provocation.. and freakin' 'lawyers scam'
In the end it was a complete scam as the company was basically a letterbox company, the software that aquired the IP addresses wasn't real (including the company that "created" it) and the last time I checked on it, the company not even had distribution rights for that certain video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lawyer fees are a German speciality called 'Abmahnung'. This legal instrument is intended to settle disputes outside court, but since lawyers aren't cheap it can easily become annoyingly large (like 1.000 €), especially if the actual damage done is very low, because the fee isn't dependent on that but on the amount of work the lawyer working on behalf of the right holder had to do (AFAIK, IANAL). This has been a business model for some lawyers in the past (e.g. mass mailing Abmahnungen to people that used the word Explorer on their web pages on behalf of owner of the trademark Explorer).

I agree that it's ED's decision.

That's why I emphasize the risk-mitigation approach rather than pulling everything out and fear lifting any little finger because you are concerned about potential rights of potential active rights holders.

By the way, most of the repo stuff is probably breaching x amounts of patents as well, so if you are really concerned you should close the repo, and the internet as a whole.
That is in fact, what the official GCW website tries. They are even afraid of hosting applications with mp3-codecs in it.
(The emphasis is from me, I hope you don't mind.)

Something topic related:

Would it be possible to automatically generate a conf-file for every game so that I am able to save different display settings for different games?

Ok maybe you can implement it in a future update!

But perhaps for now you can make that manipulating the conf-file in the "Advanced" donator options will be saved for all games? I usually play games in Dosbox scaled to the whole Pandora screen and would like to have this as a pre-configured standard. It's a bit annyoing being forced to manipulate the conf-file for every session.

And two other things:

When you download a game with the DB EX Downloader the dxz-container stays in the DB EX folder after the game itself has been installed in the rom directory. The dxz file should be automatically deleted since it isn't needed any more.

It would be nice if you could sort the games in DB EX Downloader alphabetically according to the categories "Game Name", "Game Genre" etc..

Ok maybe you can implement it in a future update!

I usually play games in Dosbox scaled to the whole Pandora screen and would like to have this as a pre-configured standard. 

And two other things:

It would be nice if you could sort the games in DB EX Downloader alphabetically according to the categories "Game Name", "Game Genre" etc..

Just run STANDARD version with THOUCSCREEN or NUBS to have it FULLSCREEN..

This is included while your downloader is unlocked [after contributing your DXZ file to dosbox repo..].  :D

When you download a game with the DB EX Downloader the dxz-container stays in the DB EX folder after the game itself has been installed in the rom directory. The dxz file should be automatically deleted since it isn't needed any more.

>

true, it will be done :D

I second the conf-file save option request, it really is a hassle to change configs every time. Aspect ratio rules!

Also a question: I never used the touchscreen before, only tried it a few days and it doesn`t really work for me. The real DOS cursor is always some way off from the point I`m actually pressing with stylus. Happens both in Experimental and Standard. Hopefully I`m missing something super-simple?

Also a question: I never used the touchscreen before, only tried it a few days and it doesn`t really work for me. The real DOS cursor is always some way off from the point I`m actually pressing with stylus. Happens both in Experimental and Standard. Hopefully I`m missing something super-simple?
If You're using fullscreen mode try to tap LTrigger+ENTER to fill entire screen, to touchscreen offset should be corrected [but it still it depends from game to game.. eg. SIERRA GAMES work perfectly with touchscreen :D ]

Ok let me make it clear with some pictures:

dosboxscreen1_zps39f4efb3.jpg

1) This is what I get when I choose "Nubs/USB Mouse" in "Experimental" or "Standard" mode. This is not what I want.

dosboxscreen2_zpse852c99f.jpg

2) This is what I get when I choose "Touchscreen" in "Experimental" or "Standard" mode. Do you notice how the image is squeezed with the black borders above and under the image? This is also not what I want.

dosboxscreen3_zpsa06c597d.jpg

3) THIS is what I want. The entire image scaled up to the whole screen. You get this by editing the conf-file with the following values:

[sdl]

fullresolution=800x480

output=overlay

[render]

scaler= none <-- this is what I prefer because I like pixels  ;)

aspect=false

It would be nice if you could sort the games in DB EX Downloader alphabetically according to the categories "Game Name", "Game Genre" etc..   >    This is included while your downloader is unlocked [after contributing your DXZ file to dosbox repo..]. 
I have the donator version but it doesn't work for me. :/

scaling to proper 800x480 will slow everything drastictly [in terms of speed]. I have checked this mode previously and believe me, even games from 286-era can stutter sometinmes in this. Highly NOT Recomended, that's why i didnt included this option in DXBX EX

About sorting.. i'll make a video for ya in weekend..

[stay tuned] 

scaling to proper 800x480 will slow everything drastictly [in terms of speed]. I have checked this mode previously and believe me, even games from 286-era can stutter sometinmes in this. Highly NOT Recomended, that's why i didnt included this option in DXBX EX
Does DosBox use SDL ? if yes, can't you use notaz's scaler to give almost "free" full screen scaling ? (I'm unaware how you do the scaling, so sorry if this is a stupid question)

Hope this is not a stupid question (and commander-beef is not taking any offence in it): why not use pickles doesbox box build ? I played through "World of Xeen" on it, without any borders and using the touchscreen (cursor was slightly off though, but nothing that could not be easily compensated).

Hope this is not a stupid question (and commander-beef is not taking any offence in it): why not use pickles doesbox box build ? I played through "World of Xeen" on it, without any borders and using the touchscreen (cursor was slightly off though, but nothing that could not be easily compensated).
Pickle's build is ancient, i believe. And the cursor issue could not be solved easily (it was requested many times and honestly only Commander-beef's experimental DosBox port works well with mouse and stylus).

Pickle's build is ancient, i believe. And the cursor issue could not be solved easily (it was requested many times and honestly only Commander-beef's experimental DosBox port works well with mouse and stylus).
The isue with Mouse is because omapdss drivers uses libts to read mouse position. While it work very well with touchscreen, it doesn't works well with mouses. DosBox has the issue when using omapdss drivers, but all other software using it has the issue too (like ZDoom ;) )

Some work to support Standard mouse is needed in Notaz's SDL version.

As far as I know, cb's build of dosbox itself is acient too. I know about the cursor issues, but they depend on how the single game implements it - in case of "World of Xeen" (or the single Might and Magic 4 and 5, don't know which is displayed in the screenshot) it works fine though.

As far as I know, cb's build of dosbox itself is acient too. I know about the cursor issues, but they depend on how the single game implements it - in case of "World of Xeen" (or the single Might and Magic 4 and 5, don't know which is displayed in the screenshot) it works fine though.
Nope, cb build is not old, at least not the experimental version.

Nope, cb build is not old, at least not the experimental version.
Its ptitSeb's SVN build, and its years younger than pickle's one. 

Back