Release DosBox EX v3 - Final Release

Sorry, can´t believe the lack of feedback. I´ve spent all day fixing a knackered old P3 laptop for my dad to use, so I still haven´t had time to test anything on the pandora. I for one am most thankful for your efforts on this, and will be trying it out shortly (with DOS games I always need to be in the frame of mind to run setup and config things right). Please don´t get put off by the lack of feedback, this is second only to UAE in importance to me, and I really can´t thank you enough for it. I'll try Buzz Aldrins and Star Trek games very soon (and look forward to finally playing Sherlock Holmes).

Everyone else seems too distracted by mame and xmas....

EDIT: Just tried a couple of games. The performance boost over the old DOSBox is stunning - really 3 times faster at least for what I tried (though couldn't turn the sound up as my parents were watching TV... it should still have been working). I have spotted a rather obvious bug - the fullscreen (F) and the touchscreen (T) versions are labeled the wrong way round. The (F) version is slow too. Clearly I havent had time to mess with things. I'm hoping I can still create seperate configs for different games. Will hopefully play around with it a bit more over the next couploe of days, the performance increase is extremely impressive - I just wish I had my PGA 96 cd handy but I'm at my parents over xmas new year. I can confirm Buzz Aldrins Race into Space is desynced with touchscreen but the speed boost is so good that using nubs as mouse is so much easier and smoother it's really easy to play. I'll report back with more when I can, and I urge all you folkss to get those previously "sluggish" titles out and try them again. Nubs are nicer to use on the smoother performance dosbox!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just upgraded to v3, here are some thoughts.

v3 doesn't work well with folders/files with spaces anymore, so I had to mass rename my folders and replace the spaces. This wasn't a problem in previous versions. No big deal.

I think it could use a better front end somehow? At least, could we change the default directly the program opens when you run the pnd?

Where can we go and change/tweak options? A gui would be nice for this.

All in all, I am immensely enjoying the zero-config dosbox. I hope this isn't a forever "final" release, as many more things could be done to make it even better.

Thanks for your work!

Back