Drmd V5 Beta 6 Released

TelcoLou posted on Aug 9 2006 at 05:40 PM said:
... >snff< It doesn't recognize my save states :(
This is from the previous DrMD thread: (my bold)
Reesy posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:54 AM said:
That makes no difference. There is an intermittent problem when creating the sound thread. This problem only occurs when the MMU hack has been applied. Not sure whats causing it yet but I'll continue to investigate.

Anyway some other news I found the bug in the save state code which was causing the sound problems, so this will be resolved in the next release. You should now be able to use your old save states and the sound will work but only if the save state has only been created once. By this I mean that you started a game, then made a save state. If you make another save state after this, the save state will include all the corrupted information caused by the save state bug. The first save state will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The first save state will be fine."

I have 2 ... it doesn't see either one :(

When you say it does see either do you mean that the save state menu does not display an option to load the save state? If this is the case then I need to know the follow

The exact rom file name
The exact save states file names
The directory where DrMD.gpe is installed
The directory where the save states are located.
and how you are launching DrMD, ie from menu or by script etc.

@DaveC: Not sure what the problem with Altered beast is, has anyone ever seen it work in DrMD. It could be a sprite rendering problem maybe but I'm not sure.

@AdamC: Xenon II looks okay to me but Fantastic Dizzy appears to be suffering from the same problem as altered beast.

This news has already made my day, thank you reesy for all your work.

does anybody know if Bubba n Stix works now, I seem to remember it suffered with the same problem as Asterix, I wont get chance to try it until tonoght :(

Reesy posted on Aug 10 2006 at 07:12 AM said:
Xenon II looks okay to me but Fantastic Dizzy appears to be suffering from the same problem as altered beast.
Since the Xenon II ship doesn't have as much animation as dizzy or altered beast, the problem is less noticable, but it does manifest itself in the xenon ii menu also in that when you go through the menu options it doesn't go through them slowly one by one, it just whips through them very quickly. It acts like you are repeatedly pushing the button very quickly rather than just holding the button down. The movement of the sprites in dizzy and altered beast seem to act in this same way.

Weird, i can't play MegaMan The Wily Wars with this :S

@Reesy, the save state screen does not display an option to load the states ... here's how I have things set up:

The exact rom file name = Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].zip (located in mnt/sd/roms/megadrive)
The exact save states file names = Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].SV0 and Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].SV1
The directory where DrMD.gpe is installed = mnt/sd/DrMD (it's named DrMDv5b6.gpe)
The directory where the save states are located = mnt/sd/DrMD/md (I also tried mnt/sd/DrMD)
I launch it from a script ... same results if I run it directly. Also same results in the new gmenu2x, or the default menu.

Thanks for everything :)

Try renaming the save states

from Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].SV0 to Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].sv0

The file extension should be lower case. I have no idea how your save states have been created with upper case file extensions, unless they were created with an old version of DrMD because I can't remember if the extensions were always lower case on the GP2X.

Is 44.1KHz sound mode not supposed to work? I can't load any ROMs when I change the sound to 44.1. 22KHz still works though.

Great new release, saves states fixed, bliss B)

The new cyclone core has introduced some things though (if some previous posts are anything to go by).
I have found a new problem introduced with this version into Lemmings (both Euro and Jap/US roms tested).

I have taken some screenshots to show what is happening.

DSC01109r.jpg

I draw your attention to the green stats line, just above the row of lemming attribute icons.
Looks fine now, but....

DSC01110r.jpg

...if we scroll the screen to the right a little, the stats line has split in two!
The top half of the line has moved to the left.

DSC01111r.jpg

Moving further to the right, and the top half of the stats line has started to scroll off the left of the screen, until....

DSC01112r.jpg

...at the extreme right of the level, the top half of the stats line is nowhere to be seen.

It looks as if the new cyclone core has extended the playfield vertically slightly, and now includes the top half of the stats line, which only appears properly when the playfield is scrolled completely over to the left of the level. This is of course just a guess and I could be completely wrong, but this is what appears to be happening based on what I am seeing.

This problem is in no way impeding gameplay, the game plays 100% fine and save states, sound, everything works fine and the game is still playable. It's just one of those niggling little things which I thought I'd show and can be fixed eventually (no hurry - and I do mean that).

Anyway, keep up the good work with this stunning emulator Reesy.

Lovely jubbly!
You rock Reesy, once I get the money I swear I'll donate some to you.
Good to see you're still working on GP2X as well as Gizmondo.

Reesy posted on Aug 11 2006 at 02:08 AM said:
Try renaming the save states

from Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].SV0 to Kid_Chameleon_(W)_[!].sv0

The file extension should be lower case. I have no idea how your save states have been created with upper case file extensions, unless they were created with an old version of DrMD because I can't remember if the extensions were always lower case on the GP2X.

Ok, this is very weird.

No go ... I renamed them as you suggested, they menu saw the states, but when I tried to load either, it dropped back to the '2X menu. It also corrupted the save states, making them un-deleteable. I had to use the '2X explorer utility to delete them.

Also to add to the wierdness, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion (for game gear) worked last night (which amazed me, since It never ran on the '2X) ... now I can't get it to work ... not even on my wife's '2X. Very strange indeed :(

Do you know what version of DrMD you used to create the save states? I think the last version to create save states with upper case file extensions which v4.??. If these save states are from version 4 then they are not compatible with the latest version. You will have to continue using the old version with these save states.

I'm not sure how DrMD could corrupt the save states, it only reads the file when loading. It will only write to the file if you've tried to save a savestate.

With regards the Mickey wierdness, maybe their is a bug in my code where the GG is not being initialised correctly. Do you remember which game you loaded before loading Mickey?

Anyway it appears you're not having much luck with DrMD, sorry bout that.

Durga: I've slowed down the auto-repeat because it was wayy to fast in beta 5...maybe I've slowed it down too much. Remember if you are scrolling through a rom list you can use RIGHT and LEFT to page through instead.

@White Demon: Yes it looks like an interupt problem. I'll check to see if I have to do anything different with the new cyclone core. I know I had to clear the IRQ flag from the emulator code but maybe I have to do something else as well. I've also noticed problems in Outrun where the road doesn't render correctly, so this may be caused by the same problem.

@Ranma13: No sorry 44100Hz sound does not work. I was testing to see if I could fix it and I have forgotten to remove it from the menu. I'll continue to try and work out why this does not work.

Reesy posted on Aug 11 2006 at 07:40 PM said:
Durga: I've slowed down the auto-repeat because it was wayy to fast in beta 5...maybe I've slowed it down too much. Remember if you are scrolling through a rom list you can use RIGHT and LEFT to page through instead.

Nah, it's better now, I was just making sure it was working properly.

Reesy posted on Aug 10 2006 at 06:12 AM said:
@DaveC: Not sure what the problem with Altered beast is, has anyone ever seen it work in DrMD. It could be a sprite rendering problem maybe but I'm not sure.

It works fine on V5 beta 2.

Just load up Altered beast and walk. on V5 beta 2 your character does the proper animation. On the newer versions the sprite spazzes out when you walk. I think it happened after the MMU hack was applied.

DaveC posted on Aug 12 2006 at 08:56 AM said:
Reesy posted on Aug 10 2006 at 06:12 AM said:

It works fine on V5 beta 2.

Just load up Altered beast and walk. on V5 beta 2 your character does the proper animation. On the newer versions the sprite spazzes out when you walk. I think it happened after the MMU hack was applied.

Thanks Dave that usefull, I'll disable to MMU hack and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT 1
Ahh know that won't make a difference as I have the same problem on the Gizmondo port. I must have changed something else but I can't remember what...........

EDIT 2
Ahh could it be 6 button support screwing things up.

Back