Drmd V5 Beta 6 Released

In the newest Beta, I have played Altered Beast, and finished the entire game. There isnt a spazzes of sprites??(Also, maybe if the blue circles were changed to green xs, or loaded for outside, the sprites would be workings.)

Yes thats right, the green Xs would fix everything. Unfortunately I just don't have time to add support for the green Xs again. Its a very complex and time consuming process, oh well I'll just have to find another solution to the wierd sprite problem.

XerXerz posted on Aug 12 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
In the newest Beta, I have played Altered Beast, and finished the entire game. There isnt a spazzes of sprites??(Also, maybe if the blue circles were changed to green xs, or loaded for outside, the sprites would be workings.)

Wow, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. :p

Reesy, are there still plans to fix the FM audio issue? It's a pretty major one. How about the M68000 clock control? ;) Also, being able to push the ARM920T clock to 300 MHz would be nice; I have a couple games that don't run at full speed even at 250 MHz, and since the program adjusts clock on its own, I can't use the CPU/LCD tweaker to push past 250 myself.

Thanks for all your hard work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just confirmed that 6 button support is what is causing the sprite problems in Altered Beast, Fantastic Dizzy etc.

@Epicenter: Not sure what you mean by FM audio issue. M68000 clock control is wayyy down on my list of things to do but at some point I may add it. I can certainly add a few more CPU speeds though.

EDIT: I've just checked and you can currently set the cpu speed to 400Mhz if you wanted. What version of DrMD are you using?

Reesy posted on Aug 12 2006 at 03:24 AM said:
You can't.

Not so great, he said there is a problem with the 6 button support said that its not fixable and have very serious errors and problems.
For now, it is a better to use the older versions.

Ah, I created these save states in beta 4. That explains it :)

And the GameGear verison of Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion works ... if lodad as a Sega Master System game ( :lol: )

Thanks again for all your work :)

TelcoLou posted on Aug 12 2006 at 05:38 PM said:
Ah, I created these save states in beta 4. That explains it :)

And the GameGear verison of Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion works ... if lodad as a Sega Master System game ( :lol: )

Thanks again for all your work :)

Ahh thats usefull, maybe there is an alignment problem in the GG rendering code. I'll see if I can see anything.

Great work! It turns out that several games I like have some issues with graphics or stability:

Toejam and Earl: In Item menu, can see list of items but cannot see list pointer (white gloved pointing hand)

Master of Monsters: Playfield looks great; however, unit info frame on the right-hand side never pops up over the playfield as it should. Hence, cannot see unit stats.

Langrisser 2 (English fan translation): Unit distance less than normal. This is not a gameplay bug - when a unit is selected, a flashing layer surrounds the unit showing possible move distance. This flashing layer is not appearing. Apparently, the developers (unwisely) check that the destination square is within the flashing layer to avoid recalculating the destinations.

Star Control: Doesn't start, but doesn't crash DrMDx either.

Disregarding the last item, there seems to be an issue with graphics layering - when something should appear atop something already drawn. Pardon my tortured terminology, since "graphics layering" is probably the wrong phrasing :rolleyes:

One more thing. No isometric game is playable. Populous, Powermonger, and Rings of Power all start normally then become unplayable very quickly, though they do not crash DrMDx.

Well, "no isometric game" was too general. The Immortal plays perfectly, for instance. I meant the psuedo-3D heightfield isometric games.

XerXers2 posted on Aug 12 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
If 6 button support is problem, how can I disable it?

You need the green Xs to disable it.

See the green Xs fix most everything. They would also allow all games to run without glitches too. The problem is that the green Xs were lost in a thunderstorm so the green X source code is lost forever.

Reesy posted on Aug 12 2006 at 04:55 AM said:
Just confirmed that 6 button support is what is causing the sprite problems in Altered Beast, Fantastic Dizzy etc.

@Epicenter: Not sure what you mean by FM audio issue. M68000 clock control is wayyy down on my list of things to do but at some point I may add it. I can certainly add a few more CPU speeds though.

EDIT: I've just checked and you can currently set the cpu speed to 400Mhz if you wanted. What version of DrMD are you using?

You had mentioned a speedup trick you did in the GP32 days which lowered FM Audio quality (refreshed the output from the emulated hardware less frequently, I believe?) causing erratic sound problems; e.g. Ecco's sonar sounds destroyed and his charge sound effect is just as bad, there are odd unpredictable/repeatable tone errors in a lot of games' music, things like that, and said you could make an option to disable it. There couldn't be that big a speed penalty with how fast it's running now. Audio is the only thing that needs improvement-- graphics and compatibility are pretty good for almost all games I've tried. :)

Not sure what version I had but it still has green X's so it can't be that new. I'll grab this one and see what difference 300 Mhz makes in those few choppy areas. :D

Oh you may not have noticed and I have forgotten to mention it. On the "sound on" menu option, if you keep pressing right you will notice that you now get the following options

Sound: OFF
Sound: ON
Sound: ON - Accuracy 1
Sound: ON - Accuracy 2
Sound: ON - Accuracy 3

Try some of the above modes and see if they make a difference Ecco's sound effects.

Ah, that improves some things .. charging should be a "whoosh!" noise and instead it's still "BRRAANNGG" like a snapping guitar string. This seems to be a common fault in a lot of old emulators; in fact the Prototype version of Ecco 2 has a charge sound effect that sounds like that on the real hardware. But it sounds normal in the final version.. it is a big improvement in Accy 3 though, although I do need to go to 270 MHz to run more stressful games like Gunstar Heroes smoothly with it. Keep up the great work. :)

Back