Drpocketsnes 6.5.0 Caanoo

Okay, silly me, I thought I had the transparencies enabled, now Super Mario World looks just fine.

This emu works great, here's hoping some dead-zone support can be added though, like Gpsp has.

Preference wise I like the PocketSNES version better, though I do agree that some games work better on the SNES9x4C...considering there are quite a few games that just plain don't run whatsoever on the PocketSNES. Look, I don't care who gets it done better first, as long as one of them gets it done and things work I'm sure everyone will be happy, but it's just good to hear people are working on the emulations for the SNES still. I haven't heard much here lately about the NES or SNES, mainly just a lot of people talking about the PCSX4All.

Could you link the source? I want to see what all these optimizations made in the past were. I looked for source for any of headoverheel's PocketSNES versions but couldn't find it. Obviously you guys are getting it from somewhere in order to port it but I have no idea where.

(there are also the 7.x.x versions from Bitrider that I can't find source for, but I see this isn't a port of that)

jb0yx said:
SiENcE said:
Dead zone support is a good Idea.
any word on the next version of snes4c hopefully with OC'ing support

ok.
I'm working on it.
I still have implementend Dead Zone support for Caanoo. No Transparency option and lots of bugfixes. Still need to add Oc support. Release hopefully before Christmas :).

Best thing would be to get the pocketsnes arm soundcore and add it. But i need to take a look at pocketsnes source.

So where to get this caanoo port source?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to turn off audio performance hack in pocketsnes, it messes up the audio in FF6.

goldenegg said:
Popcorn Dave said:
Works fine for me on 1.5, have you tried downloading it again?

Re-downloaded and even tried another SD card.

Yoshi Dragon said:
Freezes immediately after startup. Fast version does not even show the GUI. :wacko:

I'm on firmware 1.0.6 (have installed 1.5.0 once, but went back to 1.0.6 after bad benchmark results).

I'm at least happy to hear I'm not the only person with this problem. Hopefully the cause can be tracked down.
I'm running out of ideas...

Tried different SD cards, downloaded from the archive and Dingoo Brasil. All other emus run fine.

It's always the same, the GUI starts, the background is moving a little bit, then freeze (with a hissing sound).

Version : 1.0.6 / Serial No. : 2010.08.06 - GP2XV400 - 00001432 (device information in the settings)

I think I triggered one hell of an audio glitch.
I pressed home by accident whilst loading a ROM, and the game audio was real loud and scratchy.
On top of that it lingered out of DrPocketSnes, I couldn't hear Picodrive emulation.

Oh by the way, this emulator fails the SNES Test Program's electronics test, whilst Snes9x4c succeeded.

The sound in Live a Live is off in DrPocketSNES - perhaps that's a performance problem. Basically, I think that SNES9X4C has a better compatability list, though the inability to overclock and inability to change games without closing the emulator are the main problems with it.

Playing around with both so far, I like the DrPocketSNES better just because of the user interface and speed in games that do work. I really don't care for the picklelauncher look of the SNES9X4C, and going back and forth from games is a pain. Yes, I will admit that the SNES9X4C has a much higher compatibility with games, but for the cost of performance. I guess in my eyes it seems like it will be easier for the DrPocketSNES to get a bit more combatible then for the SNES9X4C to change it's interface a lot and increase performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems to me that this emulator is closer to the goal then Sience's version. Though I don't know much about porting and such so I could be WAY off.

I think the point of emulation is to be 100% accurate when running a system. The optimizations come after compatibilty is as good as it can possibly get. Patience is a virtue. Look at mame on the pc. Mame is faster for some games on older versions but slower on newer versions because the authors found things that were missing in certain drivers and had to add them to make the emulation 100% accurate. I will do a video comaparison Sience and get it to you sometime this week and get it to you so you can improve whatever you feel you need to do.

rsuryase said:
Don't forget to turn off audio performance hack in pocketsnes, it messes up the audio in FF6.

Please to explain?

qbertaddict said:
I think the point of emulation is to be 100% accurate when running a system. The optimizations come after compatibilty is as good as it can possibly get. Patience is a virtue. Look at mame on the pc. Mame is faster for some games on older versions but slower on newer versions because the authors found things that were missing in certain drivers and had to add them to make the emulation 100% accurate. I will do a video comaparison Sience and get it to you sometime this week and get it to you so you can improve whatever you feel you need to do.

No emulator is 100% accurate and no one will realize it until they notice something wrong with a game. A lot of people will never realize it. The accuracy shroud surrounding MAME is mostly hype. Everyone has different standards for what they will and won't do and what their goals are for an emulator. When writing an emulator for a fixed target you often have to design the entire thing with a performance budget in mind, not get it "perfect" first then "optimize" it; try that and you might find it impossible.

skinnyghost said:
rsuryase said:

Please to explain?

PocketSNES menu --> SNES option --> Advanced hacks --> Audio performance hack OFF

SolarLune said:
The sound in Live a Live is off in DrPocketSNES - perhaps that's a performance problem. Basically, I think that SNES9X4C has a better compatability list, though the inability to overclock and inability to change games without closing the emulator are the main problems with it.

Have you tried this? PocketSNES menu --> SNES option --> Advanced hacks --> Audio performance hack OFF

SolarLune said:
you can overclock snes9x4c just do a search on the forums

qbertaddict said:
SolarLune said:
you can overclock snes9x4c just do a search on the forums
Yes but it is still too slow. Go with PocketSNES at this time. Only use SNES9X4C if PocketSNES can't play a game.

Exophase said:
The accuracy shroud surrounding MAME is mostly hype.

Bold statement. Mame tries to be as accurate as possible, e.g. it has a discrete sound system included to enhance accurracy in analogue sound emulation, so that for this machines no smples are required any more, it tries to emulate the copy protection instead of bypassing it with a hack.
Mame always uses low level emulation approaches. I really don't see, why you say this is a hype. Mame is the most accurate emulator of all acrade emulators, why exactly do you think, this is "mostly hype"?

Back