Dynarec Completed For Psx4all Project.

Sadly the future of this emulator is Gizmondo :( Sadly for GP2X users.
The power is the difference.

I don't think that Mr.zodttd would waste his time on the GP2X front if he didn't have some hope for it, so don't worry... It does indeed work better on the Giz, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to squeeze that little extra juice out of our dual CPU cores.

Have faith brothers and sisters, we've seen one miracle ( the first psx emulator on GP2X ), maybe we'll see another.

are the graphics routines for the giz using it's 3d functions? or are all ports entirely software?

X-Code posted on Aug 25 2006 at 12:55 PM said:
I don't think that Mr.zodttd would waste his time on the GP2X front if he didn't have some hope for it, so don't worry... It does indeed work better on the Giz, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to squeeze that little extra juice out of our dual CPU cores.

Have faith brothers and sisters, we've seen one miracle ( the first psx emulator on GP2X ), maybe we'll see another.

Yeah I've the Faith, Zodttd is our Master !

paxl13 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's hope the gp2x port doesn't get too frustrating for zodttd..!

I guess (just been looking at specs - difficult to compare) that the giz is more powerful, if only by virtue of being clocked at almost twice (ish) the speed..

I don't understand why Gamepark have designed the GP2X and (by the looks of it) stifled use of the second processor... any ideas?

Is it just bad design/mistakes? If not, shouldn't gamepark be releasing info on how best to utilise it???

quote from zodttd:

Yes, good news infact.

With the latest build, I was able to play Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, the VSyncrate (number of frames that were requested) ranged from 35-40 average, and number of unique frames that were being blitted were between 15-20. So by the looks of things, we have a 30 FPS PSX emulator on the Gizmondo at this point.

The bad news is, that 30 FPS is about on par with a 266MHz GP2X.
The blits are going really fast (eg. access to video memory) using my GAPI (gx.dll) + official PocketPC SDL 1.2.9 setup, so what's slowing down the Gizmondo?!

I'm still squeezing out more performance out of the dynarec. With a few bug fixes and such, a release to gizmospain will be out within this week if possible (if the rest of psx4all team agrees its ok).

Thanks for keeping this project in mind!

source: gizmondo forums.

it seems that the gp2x version is still on par with the gizmondo version speed-wise and zodttd says something about 30fps on the gp2x ;) so for the impatient ones awaiting the dynarec version, you can expect something like 30 fps on the 2 mentioned games! great work zodttd, sunds very promising. i'm awaiting the full test results from x-code now. and zodttd stick to the gp2x please, it's far more sexy than the ugly giz :p

(squidge and zod seem so active over there...brrr...my favourite emu coders...damn xD)

These were the results of my test on that specific game using the fourth build of the dynarec enabled emulator :

OC : 250 - INTERLACE : 0 - PROGRESSIVE : OFF - UC_PSX : No Changes

Tactics Ogre NTSC ( BIN ) [ With New Beta ] :

VSYNC : Intro 25.x, Menus 14.x, Characters Select 39.x/43.x , First Cutscene 25.x/36.x , In-game 24.x/31.x
FPS : Intro 25.x, Menu 14.x, Character Select 9.x/11.x , First Cutscene 9.x/15.x ( Where the characters are talking to eachother before the first battle ), In-game 9.x/13.x

It's a little slow still, but it works... It is going to get much faster with the next releases... The code around the dynarec needs to be optimized again I suppose... Mr.zodttd will get it done in due time as usual, the main thing now would be to sort the compatibility issues and loading problems.

BTW. Some rumours say that the second core may well be used soon-ish for certain operations...

Patience and beers for my brothers and sisters B)

thats so great. i'm going to a party tonight and i'll drink some beers on zod and x-code ;)

damn this emu can become so great, we can still:

1. optimize the dynarec, include hacks etc etc
2. optimize the gpu code (yay unai!)
3. use the second core (for sound or gpu)

rock on!

The gp2x version will be fast and nice...

I'm not going to get a gizmondo neither any other console in the near future so I guess all my efford will go to take the most fon gp2x ;)

The gpu has still at least another asm revision to come before moving to the second core.

I have just come back from hollidays and I'm quite bussy at work, any way I have been lookin at the dynarec with zottd and tinnus to point with them some mayor place to optimize and the "roots" of the dynarec are there...

Hopefuly next week I'll start working on thw gpu again if there is no need to help on the dynarec.

Unai.

'Tis good to see you around Mr.una-i, you've certainly been doing some great work on the GPU front B)... Now all that I can hope for is to see the game loading & compatibility issues sorted out.

It's time for a freezing cold beer-celebration :lol:

first: x-code - no more beer for you. you've been drinking far too much lately :p

second: unai great to have you back and good to hear that you are to poor to afford a gizmo (jking of course).

:lol: I need my fuel!!!

I was considering getting a Gizmondo for testing some of my own ideas, but they aren't as easy to find as people seem to think :blink:... I wouldn't dream of swapping my GP2X for one though, we all know that power without control is useless, and the Giz is in that state more or less sadly... psx4all will do it and it's users a load of good :).

with una-i back, GP2X will soon rule the world! :ph34r:
Hope you had nice holidays B) hard-workers deserve it!

I'm just wondering... is the interlaced rendering method of rendering ever other line, then scaling to the full screen still on the cards?

I heard that mentioned what seems like an age and I think it might work better than what is in the latest public beta.

Back