Psx4gp2x Build 080207 Released - Frameskip & New Dynarec

I might make some videos of the games on a pc emu and stick them side by side to see how close to fullspeed some of thses games are.

I found 3 new games working now:

Dino Crisis 2
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2

All 3 are quite playable with up to 15fps. Very good release, zodttd and unai-i ! I thing the compatibility of psx4gp2x is now very high. I only found one game in my archive which won't run and that's Parasite Eve 2.

Regards,
Stephan

craigix said:
Wow - resident evil speeds!
Say that again.

Resident evil 1 is my favorite game ever, and this emulation being so close to perfect resident evil fullspeed
makes the GP2X my favorite game machine ever. I dont doubt anymore that it will be fullspeed one day.

This is great. Real great!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... it's coming along great! Can anyone check performance with legend of mana as it was used to benchmark the previous version? I am not at home right now sadly.

xnopasaranx said:
wow... it's coming along great! Can anyone check performance with legend of mana as it was used to benchmark the previous version? I am not at home right now sadly.
I'll make a new test soon with LOM & WIPEOUT with the new version.
I tested Wipeout with the previous one, It now displays the track selection (before it didn't) and the game runs faster too with FS.

@ Zodttd : In fact as said I like the pixelated interlace mode because it provides more visibility, interlace as lines reduce a lot of screen light, and with pixelated interlace 3 Wipeout has something enjoyable and playable. line based interlace 3 is really unreadable... I really don't know why people prefer a line based interlace, maybe they play on TV... But if they play on TV, why not buy a 30 bucks PSONE... I really hope to see some sort of an option to enable/disable pixelated graphics with interlace.For me it's just a matter of light+visibility+fps increase, but I'm sure some old school gamers could enjoy 2D or 3D pixelated PSONE games too :p
Sure if someday every games runs fullspeed at interlace 0, that option could be obsolete...

Question: What is the purpose of adjusting the PSX clock? All it seems to do is make the game choppier.

in this build i find that increaseing the cycle can improve the speed but the clock dosnt do as much as it used to. Try a cycle of about 4 or 5 but this wont be the best for everygame just most of the game i have tryed worked best with that.

always concrete bench
game = Legend of Mana NTSC US
@250Mhz
RAM ON
SOUND OFF

psx4gp2x version : 080407

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 1.0

INTERLACE 0

FS 1/3

fps : 10

real : 6-7

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 1.5

INTERLACE 0

FS 1/3

fps : 12-13

real : 8-9

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 2.0

INTERLACE 0

FS 1/3

fps : 15

real : 10-11

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 2.0

INTERLACE 0

FS 1/2

fps : 16-17

real : 8-9

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 2.0

INTERLACE 1

FS 1/2

fps : 19

real : 9-10

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 2.5

INTERLACE 1

FS 1/2

fps : 22-23

real : 11-12

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 3.0

INTERLACE 1

FS 1/2

fps : 23-24

real : 11-12

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 3.5

INTERLACE 1

FS 1/2

fps : 27-28

real : 14-15

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 4.0

INTERLACE 1

FS 1/2

fps : 30-31

real : 15-16

PSX CLOCK 100

PSX CYCLE 4.0

INTERLACE 0

FS 1/2

fps : 24-25

real : 11-13

Just tried Silent Hill @250 & Sound Off
Seems the game is faster with low Cycle
Cycle 1.0 fps:6.8-7.75 @ fs 1/2
The graphics show some strange grey transparent rectangle sprites around characters and around some other environnement textures, and interlace don't work at all, givin always a black screen.

Front Mission 3 NTSC/J @250Mhz SOUND OFF
Seems to work, but freezes randomly (loading screen or main menu) with the 3 last psx4all versions, didn't tested with previous psx4all, so I think actually that game is not working on the emu.

UMXPRime said:
Front Mission 3 NTSC/J @250Mhz SOUND OFF
Seems to work, but freezes randomly (loading screen or main menu) with the 3 last psx4all versions, didn't tested with previous psx4all, so I think actually that game is not working on the emu.
Haha, I've been testing this game on the past few releases too :D. I experience same thing, always crashes on the loading screen or shortly after it or shortly before it...

And the psx clock does seem to have an effect on some games. I found it helpful when trying to get Machine Hunter to run as smoth as possible (cycle of 3.59 and clock of 45 seemed to offer very nice performance if I remember right.)

Metal Gear Solid 240-250 SOUND OFF
In the 072407 the main menu didn't show up, it works in 080207 and 080407, but the game doesn't pass the menu.
The test continues...

Blood Omen - Legacy Of Kain @ 250 SOUND OFF
In 072407, 080208 and 080408 the game starts but game control seems broken, the main character doesn't respond to joy or button commands.
If I remember, that bug exists too with ePSXe but not with pSX emulator.
Maybe the trick can be found with these emu authors.
Next game...

Heres a wee webpage io just made and im goin to add to it and probably try to make it better. Its got vidoes of games runnin on psx4gp2x and also the same ganmes runnin on a pc emulator. you can have both videso runnin at same time to see how great psx4gp2x really is :D.

EDIT: oops here it is ---->HERE

V-Rally 2 @250 SOUND OFF
Game starts. The first loading screen after choosing the race type is running continuously, so the track selection isn't displayed and the race doesn't start.
Nice tests CABBAGES !!!

I tested Virtual Rally 2 with interlace 0, OC 250 Mhz, Sound OFF. It runs 6-7 fps. It was a little bit faster on 071307 version.

I also tested some crack intros. They used to run very good on version 071307 much more faster than current version. I still have doubt about frameskipping option. It doesn't make the things faster with frameskipping. I suspect it just draws the frame and waits while skipping frames and then draws the new frame. I mean there are pauses between drawn frames.

Did anyone else noticed that?

frameskipping does work well with most games. Oh and not all the videos on that site are form the latest build some are quite old so i will make new videos with teh latest build i think :).

Back