Psx4gp2x V0.1.2 Test 2 - Playstation 1 Emulator For Gp2x

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
ZodTTD is back! :)

Here is the direct download link to psx4gp2x v0.1.2 Test 2:
http://www.zodttd.com/psx4gp2x/psx4gp2x_0_1_2_t2.zip

It's been a long time since a psx4gp2x version has been made, so the change list is very long.
I can tell you that the newly redesigned frameskip has been helping things a lot. Also the dynarec has been remade. Performance has increased quite a lot.

I just got done playing a game on my GP2X @ 266MHz. Buster Bros Collection, with sound on and interlace off, ran at 60FPS steady in-game, and the menus went way too fast, sometimes 120FPS. Frameskip works well on it's various settings and due to the way it must be designed, it doesnt skip certain frames, so things are kept smooth even on really high frameskips. Wipeout XL is amazing to see! :)

While there is still more to be desired, this is pretty exciting news. So my todo list contains:
- Further improve the dynarec.
- Tweak some default settings so compatibility is higher while maintaining performance. Thing includes the psx cycle setting.
- Enable BIOS emulation option in the menu.
- Enable the use of external menu systems. :)
- Check if save states are working. Both save states and memory card saves are implemented.

Direct link to discussion thread for chat and support:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=39811

Thanks for the support throughout the years everyone, and hope to see you at the www.zodttd.com site as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote myself from the thread linked to in the original topic:
"
Final Fantasy 7 with the following settings:
PSX CYCLE: 1.1
PSX CLOCK: 20
FRAMESKIP 18/19 (note that it doesnt actually skip this many frames)

SOUND ON or OFF, INTERLACE ON or OFF. Depends if you want extra performance.

It runs super fast and super smooth! Battles are over 60 FPS, and in-game is at over 80 FPS.

Note that it takes awhile to boot FF7 if you dont change the PSX CYCLE right away.

I'm past the elevator in the first level and it's going at 100 FPS steady. This is accurate too. Moves silky smooth and fast @ 266MHz!
"

Things are improving. :)

Someone tested Diablo and said while it's faster than before, its still slow. Give it a go for a second opinion if possible though.

Sounds like there has been some improvements on this since I last tried it out in August. :)
Final Fantasy VII sounds amazing if that's correct, very impressive work zod.

Last time I tried it out was around 12-13 fps in battle and 40 fps at most (at the place in the reactor where all three characters must push a button on a table at the same time or something, not much going on at the screen there) and 17-20fps in the slums.

ZodTTD, you got all the news with iPhone version ;) I've not touched my GP2X for months now, but I'll try to charge my console today just to test this new release :)

Heh. Yeah, lots of attention on the iPhone release. But it's helped push psx4all forward. So much so I had to dust off my GP2X! :)

Well numbers are higher in the iPhone crowd, and they actually tend to donate very high amounts. The combination can't be beat. :-/

How nice for you :) Glad your getting some money for your work!
Just out of curiosity, how many downloads have you got on the iphone version and how big is your forum?

zodttd said:
Well numbers are higher in the iPhone crowd, and they actually tend to donate very high amounts. The combination can't be beat. :-/
Forgive me if I sound curt, but I'm curious, could you make a (modest) living from it, if only for a few months?

And thanks for continuing to support the GP2X! Even though I don't have much interest in the PSX, I'm a big fan of your work on OpenTTD :)

Last edited by a moderator:
REPORT START
-----------------------
Just ripped my own copy of FF7. (again :p)
It's PAL, so it's optimal settings might be different from the one zodttd tried.

By using the settings posted by Zod, the screen would go black, but still alive. Bumping up the clock from 20% to around 30% gave some picture, however it was flickering and in-battle it flickered _very_ much and the HP was going crazy. (up & down by itself) Pushing the clock up even further towards 40% got rid of all problems what so ever though.

In-game looking at real fps it was around 10 fps. In-battle ~6-7 fps. The other fps-counter were around 80 though. If changing the cycle from 1.1 to 2.0 in-battle the fps would go up to 10 fps. (real) Pushing it even further to 3.0 gave me a real fps of 15. :)o) After the battle ended the GP2X froze though. :p

250 MHz and Ram Timings ON as always, with sound off and no interlace. (even 1 interlace makes it impossible to see anything at all)
-----------------------
REPORT END

How much FPS do you get out of Wipeout? I've never used a PSX emu on the GP2X, but if Wipeout runs decently I'm definitely make some room on my SD for that!

How well is the two dimensional rendering working? I've only got one game I need for the GP2X right now, and it's Alundra for PSX. I tried it a few months ago with this emu and it didn't work, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Just curious if the more complex 2D stuff (not just menus) work better now. If I ever get Alundra working I'm donating $50 :)

Back