Explaining The Pandora

I like Gruso's version better as well. You can- maybe even should -address these things, but doing so this provocatively won't help your cause. It just makes you look like a raving extremist, which is not a good image for someone trying to advertise a new product. In my opinion, drop the antagonizing terms like "communist slave nation" even if that's the case. You don't win people over by calling the other side names, even if accurate. I also think you shouldn't bring flash up. Maybe something that has already been ported? Point out your actual successes, not potential ones.

All in all, concentrate on the real positive aspects of the project and the pandora, not the negative aspects of other products or countries. You can address these issues by telling what you have done right.

Okay, now back to the midsummer party (Juhannus) drinking.

I would really just concentrate on the good point of the Pandora. You're trying to sell a product here not make a political statement !
It's true some company use provocative advertisement but I really don't think it's a good enough... it's just too risky.

Saying that the Pandora is assembled in the UK by a small team can be put forward as an advantage of course. That's a plus in term of service, if there is a problem with the unit it goes directly back to the people who fixes the unit.

I would personally mainly focus on:

-Openness
-Community
-Gaming control
-Uniqueness of the device
-How powerful / a great platform it is

I am actually surprised the Pandora team haven't decided on that element to put forward. Or maybe it's just not clear enough. I definitely believe you should decide what you want to emphasis on then stick to it.

Yeah unless the pandora was 100 per cent china free theres no point in mentioning it.
assembled in england is an okay tagline.Highlighting the china issue on a seperate note might be a good thing.
But yeah it would seem hypocritical when parts of the pandora are made in china.
openpandora would get a major flaming i think.

I thought of a line to include somewhere - although I wouldn't be surprised if others have thought of the same thing.

"Many mobile devices support apps. The Pandora supports applications."

(Of course referring to Firefox, and potentially OpenOffice, Gimp, Audacity, etc.)

wrath of khan said:
Yeah unless the pandora was 100 per cent china free theres no point in mentioning it.
assembled in england is an okay tagline.Highlighting the china issue on a seperate note might be a good thing.
But yeah it would seem hypocritical when parts of the pandora are made in china.
openpandora would get a major flaming i think.

/agree
drop the 'china' angle, major flaming/hypocrisy ahead down that road; after all were you not forced into assembly in uk because the texas plant was asking too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling China communist sounds silly to me, yeah the government might still label themselves as that but when considered an economic model it couldn't be further from the truth.. China has changed from a communist nation to one of the most capitalist nations in the world...

Guess all those years of assuming capitalism meant democracy made people confused.

The conditions for workers and some civilians in china is clearly appaling.The chinese government have been implicated in some very morally questionable and downright crazy activities in recent times.Have a look at this,it is sobering.

I also like Gruso's version better.

And yeah, China is not communist now.

Communism ≠ autocracy
Capitalism ≠ democracy

China is a capitalist, autocratic country. (to make things more confusing, they do have a kind of democracy, but it has many layers. i.e. in the US, people vote for the electors, who then choose the president - that's already a layer separating the people from the ultimate choice. China has many more of these layers)

And if you want to talk about suicides, ignore the recent press and look at the facts: China is not the suicide capital of the world. Japan and France are higher. New Zealand and Sweden are just behind. The UK's male suicide rate is much higher than China's.

Also,
Western nations hate the communist menace
You may be showing your age... Western nations hate the militant Islamic menace these days. The Cold War is so 30 years ago.

z5Enf.gif

just concentrate on the positive aspects - there are plenty of them.
as the social factor seems important today, outline the active community behind the project.
pandora: inspired and funded by the community, made for the community and supported by the community.

greetings

Sugar_Kane said:
Could I have a 800x640 one of these. :)

I guess if you are trying to sell something then you need to get the reader to feel all warm and fuzzy. Don't think the work suicide does that for me.
Mayhap a bit too hard hitting.

Code:
I am SmartPhone | sed -e "s/Phone//"

The issue I have with Craig mentioning China in any way, shape or form is this:

Had the Chinese factory delivered the cases on time, to the quality expected, we would still be using them to produce the cases. And, indeed for assembly. The decision to move production to the UK was based on poor service and had nothing to do with human rights, however now that the decision has been made, it appears that Craig is trying to jump on the human rights bandwagon. And to me, that just smells.

craigix said:
While other British companies are moving assembly to China I want to make a point of keeping it in the UK.

I can probably adjust the text to suit that, but I think it needs to be left in.

I agree with the 'cut the china part', not because it some type of censorship about the truth, its just I think that its better to concentrate on the positives of what *you* are doing rarther than the negatives of what other people may be doing.

I like the orginal 'not assembled in the sweatshop'. I think its enough, and clearly states the positive in what pandora is doing, not a political crusade against specifics.

I think the big points about the pandora are
  • By the Community, for the community.
  • Open - do what *you* want with your device, not 'jailed' like apple, nintendo, sony devices.
  • Highly active community continuously improving and writing new software. (caused by point 2).
  • Virtually all resources go directly to support of device and community. Not paying for executives, huge marketing campaigns, or merchant bankers (assuming you have no plans to go PLC).

yeah i don't get it. assembling the machines in england was nothing to do with anything you mentioned. they were supposed to be assembled in AMERICA, and the reason they weren't was because the factory jacked the price up.

x68000 said:
^ assembly was intended to be done in Texas, not China IIRC

OK, Either way my point still stands. The reason Craig is moving production of cases to the UK is due to the poor service. Human rights is, at most, a nice afterthought.

I can see the issue with the conditions in China. While what Craig is saying might be true its not tactful and may come back to bite him on the arse in time. As had been said above the big boys don't care about fair and you don't want wake up their legal departments.

Wouldn't it be better to say that Open Pandora are moving to a 'fair trade' model for their business. Its less offensive and it keeps the door open IF conditions ever improve in China. You can say now you know exactly what things are like in China and you are changing your ways. This way you get away from the problems of having used Chinese factories and you could probably been seen to be leading the way.

Edited for crap spelling

I just took a refreshing nap in the sun and feel like posting some honest words.
The whole China discussion was, is and will always be utter bullshit.

It does not belong here, period. Everyone is making up a mind after consuming some second hand info. "China quality is crap", "they are slow", "they don't understand", "they kill themselves", etc.

100% hypocritical blah blah from some geeks on a gaming handheld forum.

Oh, and I like British humour so I keep smiling.
If I wouldn't like British humour, I would be seriously depressed thinking that the "head" of the team posts so much "improvable" stuff.

Maybe I'll regret my honesty later..*thinks*, *waits*.. nope.

Back into the sun!

Back