Feedback for repo.openpandora.org

No, I meant it would be nice, if the beautiful UI is already built in Milkyhelper, so I don't need to install the entire Panorama thing to use it in this programm. :)
Panorama comes with milkyhelper already built in but you didnt want to use panorama yuo could always download milky helper by itself and use that but it doesnt have a gui its a terminal app.

I've noticed I get emails for my own comments on repo, which is not useful. Probably worth adding a check for that.
+1 to this.

Have you tried using Pandorama? its also a pandora Package but is more advanced and sexy looking that PNDstore, give it a try.

one you have run the app for the first time, close it, go to the panorama appdata directory and edit the settings so that the default UI is MilkyTest, save it, then re load panorama, its amazing.
To complicated for me. :D Does this Milks thing comes without this nice UI? I don't want to build this stuff from hand. Panorama looks nice but the lack of Programms that really use it indicates that it is more or less a in-Dev thingy and not really easy to use.

However, PND Store was not updated since a long time, I hope it is not forgotten. I actualy use the Repo to download my stuff. Only disadvantage is, that Midori crashes when it overwrites files after downloading. :( So a decent PND Updater like PND Store is actualy the better choice. Maybe Panorama UI can also work with PND Store and other programms some day.
MilkyTest UI in Panorama is a GUI frontend for libmilky. Milkyhelper is a CLI frontend for libmilky.

You don't need milkyhelper to use Panorama with MilkyTest UI.

Last edited by a moderator:
The repos nice but I think the top bar that lists emulators games and such is a bit cluttered and not easy to see what you want at a glance.Maybe some drop down menus or something would work.Also a little more primary colours and definition like pandora apps would be nice.Anyways its still a very good place for downloading apps and such. :)

New suggestion: If a search returns only 1 result, forward right to the detail page of that app.

Advantage: If you use the repo directly as a web browser search engine (Chrome keywords, Mozilla Custom Search, search bars, etc) you can very quickly get to the result from a new browser tab. "CTRL-N repo uniqueapp ENTER" -> and there you are at uniqueapp's detail page!

Code:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&search=unique-app  -> http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=unique-app

Bug report: The link parser of the repo seems to fail with recognizing URLs containing a ~ tilde character.

I.e. on the site:

Code:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sgt-puzzles-1796

the URL:

Code:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/

is cut off before the tilde.

this is the way PHP validates URLs apparently (without regexp)?

Code:
//this is the built in php function i use

filter_var($url_string,FILTER_VALIDATE_URL);//returns boolian

New suggestion: Show the values in listings such as "Most downloaded", "Best rated" to undermine the informative value of the listing.

If you see the number of downloads in the listings "Most downloaded", you get a better proportional feeling of the values rather just the ranking first, second, etc.

If "Best rated" would also show you the number of votes in bracket, the rating value gets more information value.

Praise: The date is already properly exposed in listings sorted by date.

New suggestion: Add the possibility for devs and users to assign "similar/related apps".

Benefit: This increases the overview & choice for users to find their optimal app.

Right now I just use the comment function wand write something like: "Similar app: XYZ".

If this would be formally supported (=machine readable) by the repo, then new app browsing & discovery ways would be possible!

There are still some programs in the wrong cathegory or at least not in the best fitting cathegory...

Midori 0.3.6 for Example is not found under "Web Browsers" but under "Network", which is not wrong but if you only search in Web Browseres you will not find Midori. ^^"

There are still some programs in the wrong cathegory or at least not in the best fitting cathegory...
Midori 0.3.6 for Example is not found under "Web Browsers" but under "Network", which is not wrong but if you only search in Web Browseres you will not find Midori. ^^"
this is because either the subcategory "WebBrowser" was not provided in the PXML hense it only shows under network, or a subcategory was provided but did not match any of the fredesktop subcategories and was removed when transferring the XML data to the datebase.

I have no problems with this but new users could be confused. More "fail save" could be better. :) I also hope that the porters of all of the programms match the stuff one day to the updated standards. Would be also recommended when transfering all the Apps from the File Archive to the Repo. ^^

straight from the bearded horses mouth: midori 3.6 was uploaded to repo at a time when slaeshjag didnt have his pandora, and he relied on his testers to point stuff like this out. expect a new midori 4.0 to be uploaded to repo within days with built in ad block and in the right category, a proper taskbar icon, and all that good stuff.

@milkshake: Anything new from your side concerning my feedback?

To some of it you noted "interesting", to some nothing.

Keen to read, what you plan to realize or not, and a short reasoning maybe. Thanks!

Nothing yet as currenlty work on the repo is inactive do to my street fighter training lol. After replay I'll pick up on futher repo development again.

New notification options:

• Receive an email when someone comments to an application to which you also commented.
  • Receive an email when your nickname is mentioned in a comment ("@NickName", "NickName:", "NickName")

The repo already offers this option:

• Receive an email when a comment is left for your application.

Even more useful would be if you could subscribe to and unsubscribe from certain applications discussion threads.

This functionality would help users like me, to keep track on the feedback, which they leave to various apps.

well I think the discussion threads should be kept on a forum, although the comments can be good for devs for feedback as well as comments, proper discussions should be on a forum. :p

Hey shake thanks for maintaining the repo for us all.

I didnt realise this thread existed and was talking about this the other day with another member.

I suggested the repo could use a beta section to encourage devs to upload betas there to make beta releases easier to find rather than being redirected to other sites and having to trail about i never seem to be able to download the betas that are uploaded to facebook pages.

I have been angrily told there is an apparent alpha beta section in the repo but i cant find it for the life of me? i know lots of betas are in the repo just not in a specific section. Is this something you think could be of use or do you think its not really going to make that much difference in drawing betas to one place?

It is no section. The status is displayed next to the packagename, if it is set. See goonies pnd as an example.

To prevent updating to betapnds, maybe B-ZaR and temple could add an appropiate option to their frontends.

I have been angrily told there is an apparent alpha beta section in the repo but i cant find it for the life of me? i know lots of betas are in the repo just not in a specific section. Is this something you think could be of use or do you think its not really going to make that much difference in drawing betas to one place?
Well I could add additional filters so that ONLY beta's show or ONLY alpha's or ONLY release builds.

would that help?

Back