Feedback on Repo.OpenPandora.org

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Hey guys, a couple of feedbacks on that page:

http://repo.openpandora.org/

Here it is :

- can you move the category table under everything else? Honestlly most people never click on them and the main reason to come on the repo is to check for the latest news or the best stuff available. If you don't want to put it under, then I'd recommend some javascipt to hide/expand it when needed instead of displaying this huge block every time for everyone. 

- Can I suggest some CSS style to improve the look of that page? To make it look a little bit better / modern ? yes ? no ? 

- Can we make this page responsive so that it scales well on phone screens too, when you reach less than 400 px width for example ? 

I can volunteer for all the above, if you agree things could be improved. 

Shake, could stars-rating be non-anonymous for app maintainer in repo [i dont mind it if be globally non-anonymous]? please please.

Promoting commercial apps more [bigger banners and info], would be better as well.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the new repo be open source, or just the backbone library? It would be nice if everything would be open source, so that others can add features too.

Shake, could stars-rating be non-anonymous for app maintainer in repo [i dont mind it if be globally non-anonymous]? please please.

Promoting commercial apps more [bigger banners and info], would be better as well.. 
Non-anonymous ratings are not a good idea, it's easier to be honest if it's anonymous. I know it sucks if someone leaves a bad rating and you don't know who it is or why they give that rating, but giving up anonymous ratings is not worth it, to me.

I don't think commercial apps should be promoted more than non-commercial ones. At least not on the repo itself. I certainly don't want advertisements on the repo website.

Reactions: Ziz
Will the new repo be open source, or just the backbone library? It would be nice if everything would be open source, so that others can add features too.
Its certainly likely to be the case yes but don't expect anything soon, I'll be chipping away at it slowly but surely.

My overall plan is to use a MVC framework like cakePHP and I would also like forum integration in regards to shared login/accounts.

Non-anonymous ratings are not a good idea, it's easier to be honest if it's anonymous. I know it sucks if someone leaves a bad rating and you don't know who it is or why they give that rating, but giving up anonymous ratings is not worth it, to me.

I don't think commercial apps should be promoted more than non-commercial ones. At least not on the repo itself. I certainly don't want advertisements on the repo website.
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ultimate-pim-app and check rating

No single info why, just fuck'd 1-star rate with smile..

Thats why i think non-anonymous rating is a must

Thats why i proposed a non-anonymous rating on repo. If you re honest , why you would want to use anonymous rating? 

Thats why i proposed a non-anonymous rating on repo. If you re honest , why you would want to use anonymous rating? 
Maybe someone's honest assessment of a PND is that it is not that good, but doesn't dare to say that publicly and/or in the author's face.

To avoid rating trolls, the repo maintainers could periodically check for accounts that leave ratings that consistently deviate a lot from the average rating. Perhaps the interface could also be improved to automatically suggest to leave a comment with an argumentation for the rating when you leave a bad rating.

Maybe we need anonymous comments.

I will repeat what I have said in another thread about rating star:

I don't like the Star System as it is now and would prefer a "positive only" rating system (just thumb up  and you count them).

Again, most of the apps on the repo are free and open software made on free time. Having negative rating (like stars<4) is just a great tool do demotivate contributors.

I don't like the Star System as it is now and would prefer a "positive only" rating system (just thumb up  and you count them).

Again, most of the apps on the repo are free and open software made on free time. Having negative rating (like stars<4) is just a great tool do demotivate contributors.
yeah. Im with ptitSeb. 

Post split from the PndAid thead moved here. 
Any future repo suggestions please post here.

I agree, although I would go for a binary system (thumbs up and down) so that if something is really broken, or malware, or really not worth anyone's time to install, it can be indicated with a thumbs down.

So if you like something, you give it a thumbs up. If you don't really like it, you don't give it a thumbs up. If it's broken or otherwise really problematic, you give it a thumbs down. This should not happen often. But e.g. it can happen that an unmaintained PND at some point stops working on the current firmware, and then it would be helpful to vote it down.

Also it would be useful to keep track of downloads per version number instead of total downloads. It could be displayed as a histogram, or in listings where space is limited, just the number of downloads of the most recent version.

I agree, although I would go for a binary system (thumbs up and down) so that if something is really broken, or malware, or really not worth anyone's time to install, it can be indicated with a thumbs down.

So if you like something, you give it a thumbs up. If you don't really like it, you don't give it a thumbs up. If it's broken or otherwise really problematic, you give it a thumbs down. This should not happen often. But e.g. it can happen that an unmaintained PND at some point stops working on the current firmware, and then it would be helpful to vote it down.

Also it would be useful to keep track of downloads per version number instead of total downloads. It could be displayed as a histogram, or in listings where space is limited, just the number of downloads of the most recent version.
This might work if adding thumbs down will be connected with adding comment whats wrong with this PND

I am not sure thumb down are needed. There is the Comment zone to put something negative / must-have improvement.

I thumb down is here, you will still have the easy negative anonymous rating possibility.

I don't think a thumb-down is a good way to respond to something "broken or otherwise problematic".

I could see merit in a system analogous what we have on these message boards: thumbs up if you want to recommend it to others, do nothing if you don't (i.e. if you dislike it or don't care much either way), and some way to "report" it (call the attention of the pnd maintainer and/or the repo powers-that-be) if something needs fixing.

I think the current system works well enough. The only problem is the small number of ratings, but that wouldn't be any better with a positive only system. Are two (three, ten, 100) thumbs ups an indication of a perfect PND with (very) few users or does it have serious problems? And I don't see non-anonymity increasing the number of votes either.

It would be nice to see the number of downloads of the current version, perhaps have the rating split into a rating covering all versions and one counting only ratings since release of the current version (to not drown significant improvements in a sea of old votes).

How would the sorting by rating be implemented in a thumbs up only system? Purely number of votes? That would be a shame because I think it's great that new repo entries can easily gain the top spot (at least for a short time).

Back