Firmware version and SD card suggestions

JackTheKnife

Two questions:

1) How can I check which firmware version is running my Pandora? I saw Zaxxon on boot but is it latest version of Zaxxon (aka Super Zaxxon)?

2) Any suggestions for SD cards? Can I run any micro SD card with an adapter or better get regular one (class 6 or 4)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can use an adapter, and yes the 32 GB class 10 sandisk SD card is pretty sweet (I have one)

I don't know if there's a way to check the version but it should say super zaxxon during boot if you have super zaxxon final (if i recall correctly), mine says super zaxxon 5.2 (at least i think it does)

I wouldn't get a new µSD for use with the Pandora. I have a very bad experience with the reliability of such adapers.
I wouldn't get one either, because it doesn't realy make any sense. But since I had a 4GB one lying around When I got my pandora, I used it for a few months and so far haven't had any problems.

Now I also have a 32GB full SD and I'm using both.

So if you have one lying around, might as well give it a go.

Finally I found an old Kingston 16GB Class4, which I bought 4 years ago for OP :D Will go from here and shop for 32GB Class10

Quick question on the memory card subject. i've read that Pandora can use 64GB cards that are SDXC instead of SDHC. Would i have to format this in a different way than a 32gb SDHC card? I'm not massively tech minded and just want to keep things simple! Also would you think a 32gb card would be enough anyway? i just want to fill it with emulators!

Quick question on the memory card subject. i've read that Pandora can use 64GB cards that are SDXC instead of SDHC. Would i have to format this in a different way than a 32gb SDHC card? I'm not massively tech minded and just want to keep things simple! Also would you think a 32gb card would be enough anyway? i just want to fill it with emulators!
Big cards seems to be pre-formatted with the exFAT filesystem.

So you'd have to format it with the standard and common FAT32.

32gb is ok as long as you don't put too much PSX isos.

If you're a big PSX fan, then you should consider buying a bigger card.

I personally recommend the SanDisk Extreme (not Extreme Pro). They go up to 128G.

32gb is ok as long as you don't put too much PSX isos.

If you're a big PSX fan, then you should consider buying a bigger card.

PSX games can be compressed to save space on the SD card, .CBN and EBOOT formats work great on the Pandora. I usually also compress Mega CD, PC Engine CD and ScummVm (using the ScummVm tools) games to save even more SD space. I strongly reccomend to purchase a >32 GB card if you want to play multidisc games, ie graphic adventures. The games which take more space on my SD are Phantasmagoria (7 CD, around 4GB space) and Gabriel Knight 2 (6 CD, around 3,5 GB space).

Thanks for the advice. Apparently my Pandora is waiting at home for me! Another question: do the 2 memory card slots play different roles (i.e applications and data) or do they both store exactly the same data?

you can use either as you please, i normally have one with all my PNDs on and the other slot normally has the one with all my PS1 games on

The only difference (IIRC) in usage of the SD card slots in current software is that the bootloader will only boot from the left sd card slot - so that if you run OS from SD then the left card is your system card.

Back