First 10 Things To Do After Getting Gp2x

mystery

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am waiting for my gp2x and while waiting I want to know what should I download or what should I buy?(Memory Card or etc.)

Can u write first 10 things after getting Gp2x...?

thnx...

1. 1gb sandisk sd card. Probably the most reliable for updating firmware it seems.
2. 2500maH rechargable batteries + charger. Most people would recommend Ansmann branded batteries but I get a goof 4-5 hours out of my Unirosses
3. SD card reader. A lot more reliable than connecting the gp2x through usb and saves on battery power.
4. An internet. To download all the lovely homebrew

5. dust-free room, so you can safely install/apply the screen protector. :D

trust me.. take your time installing this. once it's on, it's near impossible to take off.

overjupiter posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:44 PM said:

trust me.. take your time installing this. once it's on, it's near impossible to take off.

Instead of a dust free room, you can do what I did (I read this suggestion elsewhere on the forums, can't remember who said it though): Turn on the hot water in your shower and close the bathroom door behind you. Wait until the bathroom is very steamy and then go in with your GP2X, and put on the screen protector. No dust will float around in this environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:18 PM said:
5. dust-free room, so you can safely install/apply the screen protector.  :D

trust me.. take your time installing this.  once it's on, it's near impossible to take off.

Instead of a dust free room, you can do what I did (I read this suggestion elsewhere on the forums, can't remember who said it though): Turn on the hot water in your shower and close the bathroom door behind you. Wait until the bathroom is very steamy and then go in with your GP2X, and put on the screen protector. No dust will float around in this environment.

Thats like the only way to get dust free so ya :p

6. Power adaptor - in case your batteries are crap, but if you follow #2, you really don't have to do this... could be handy

7. Tv-out cable (assuming they release them soon) - take advantage of this really nifty feature.

8. Case - unless you want a scratched up screen or want to risk dropping it without protection (once again assuming they release an official case soon)

Rayek posted on Dec 5 2005 at 08:34 PM said:
6. Power adaptor - in case your batteries are crap, but if you follow #2, you really don't have to do this... could be handy

7. Tv-out cable (assuming they release them soon) - take advantage of this really nifty feature.

8. Case - unless you want a scratched up screen or want to risk dropping it without protection (once again assuming they release an official case soon)

I got an official case just like the pictures with my pre-order.

I guess you can assume that they are released.

I also pre-ordered the Tv-cable, that I didn't get, but gp32z.com says in stock, so I should get it soon.

i thought the cases craig was distributing were gp32 cases... i was talking about this case:
gp2x-case.jpg

Speaking of cases, I bought one from Walmart. It was for the PSP and the brand name of the case is Pelican. Costs about $10 and it has plenty of room in it for extras like an A/C adapter, usb cable, extra batteries and my little usb reader, plus even more batteries.

Rayek posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:53 AM said:
i thought the cases craig was distributing were gp32 cases... i was talking about this case:
gp2x-case.jpg

I ordered from gp32z and I received that case.

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 9 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
gp2x-case.jpg

I ordered two GP2Xs but only received one case. I'm giving it to my friend since my GP2X fits perfectly in my old GBA case.

Software:

1) Try to upgrade your firmware
2) Get the clock speed changer
3) Get SDL
4) Play Quake
5) Play DrMD
6) Play NeoCD
7) Play SNES
8) Watch images that slightly resemble frames from PSX games slowly appear on the screen one by one.
9) ???
10) Profit!

Sorry, 10 is alot. :(

1) Try to upgrade your firmware •Not going to do.
2) Get the clock speed changer •Got it.
3) Get SDL •Got it.
4) Play Quake •Maybe later.
5) Play DrMD •Got it :p.
6) Play NeoCD •Maybe later when I find some isos :) .
7) Play SNES •Maybe later.
8) Watch images that slightly resemble frames from PSX games slowly appear on the screen one by one. •?.
9) ??? •???.
10) Profit! •Its possible the same guy that bought my NLU gp32 will offer me like 400$ for this :D Who knows!.

Ive got all these on my FAT32 Sd card ready to be booted/installed :p Imma hold off on the psx,snes, and firmware untill I can be sure the fw wont screw up my unit.

I also hope that my unit isnt a defected lil one too. :rolleyes:

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 9 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
gp2x-case.jpg

Yes, ordered from Dave, aka Jr2Swiss, at gp32z.com.

I've got that case, but since I don't have any spare SD, or a TV-out cable,(he says sometime in the next coupla weeks) I am considering making a sleeve to protect the screen and keeping it in my pocket with my cellphone, keys, change, and wallet, and two spare AA NiMH. I've got deep pockets :D

Ravnos posted on Dec 6 2005 at 05:18 AM said:

That kinda puzzles me... The steam, the moist... Aren't electric devices kinda sensitive about those things? :huh:

chris_r posted on Dec 5 2005 at 11:38 PM said:
2. 2500maH rechargable batteries + charger. Most people would recommend Ansmann branded batteries but I get a good 4-5 hours out of my Unirosses

However, I wouldn't rely too heavily on Uniross because from what I've seen there are good and bad Uniross batteries. I too recommend Ansmann. Remember, if you're using rechargeables and after about half an hour your screen starts showing funny lines, don't assume your unit's bricked or your batteries are bad. Most rechargeables need a couple of charges to 'break through'. And ALWAYS flash your firmware with a PSU, otherwise you may end up bricking your unit. For PSUs, I recommend 3.3V and 1000mA or higher, but some people have got it working with 3V and 700mA.

Rayek posted on Dec 5 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
gp2x-case.jpg

I got that case free with my preorder from gp32z.

Also as for the shower thing, I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't you get moisture stuck in your system (it would probaly come out) but then there is all the water....

It's probably fine to take your GP2X into the bathroom to do that, just as long as you wait a little while for the steam to settle (with the door closed or you'll just let more air, with dust, in). And of course don't do something stupid like take your GP2X in from a much colder room (condensation).

Ravnos posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:18 AM said:

yeah but the screen will get very damp and wet wont it?

Back