Game Cube Emulator Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WolfSpider said:
Is the Pandora fast emough to emulate GameCube games? I now that theres not even a full N64 Emulator, but im just wondering if GC emulation is possible in the future.
Not likely as many people here have stated. The Pandora is fast, but not fast enough. Pandora 2, depending on what hardware is available at the time of developement, might be able to run a Gamecube Emulator decently. That would be the best thing ever, full speed Gamecube Emulation. I would love to play the Resident Evils or Super Smash Bros Melee on the go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
Hmmm, maybe he means something like that really old N64 emulator called HLE (High Level Emulator?), that AFAIK somehow hooked into the 3D 'calls' and converted them to directX (or somthing). It really amazed me how I could run Mario64 pretty much perfectly on a P133 with a 3DFX card. Oh and Wave Racer was the other one. Whilst at the same time Playstation emulation was a pipe dream and SNES emulation wasn't perfect either.

I think you guys who keep talking about UltraHLE running Mario 64 full speed on a P133 or lower are full of it. One of these days I'm going to make someone come up with a video of that.

Exophase said:
Miner49er said:
Hmmm, maybe he means something like that really old N64 emulator called HLE (High Level Emulator?), that AFAIK somehow hooked into the 3D 'calls' and converted them to directX (or somthing). It really amazed me how I could run Mario64 pretty much perfectly on a P133 with a 3DFX card. Oh and Wave Racer was the other one. Whilst at the same time Playstation emulation was a pipe dream and SNES emulation wasn't perfect either.

I think you guys who keep talking about UltraHLE running Mario 64 full speed on a P133 or lower are full of it. One of these days I'm going to make someone come up with a video of that.

Actually, I got a respectable framerate[1] in Mario64 running on a Cyrix 200mhz with Voodoo2 attached. When I upgraded the CPU to a 333mhz AMD K6-2, it flew.

[1] About 10fps, in areas where not much was going on :p

D.

Dunny said:
Actually, I got a respectable framerate[1] in Mario64 running on a Cyrix 200mhz with Voodoo2 attached. When I upgraded the CPU to a 333mhz AMD K6-2, it flew.

D.

Weren't you one of those people I got into arguments over regarding realtime speed + frameskip not being fullspeed? I kinda think 1/3rd realtime speed is even more not fullspeed.

Mario 64 wouldn't be that FPU intense, so chances are the Cyrix was better than a Pentium 133 at running stuff in it. I don't know if it was really 200MHz, though. Could have been a performance rating.

Exophase said:
Miner49er said:

My p3 400 genuinly did run close to full speed on mario 64. my 700 played most of the compatible games full speed..

Cant wait till we get it on our Pandoras! its gonna rock my socks off.. just goes to show though the odd's are we will have full speed emulation with sound.. the guy who worked on the psp n64 did well running at 333mhz with only 32mb ram so pandora is gonna chew it up and spit it out after its fully optimised and utilising all 3d hardware properly..

Now n64 with network functions would be something i would buy another 3 pandoras for haha that would be totaly leet

I never tried it, but my father said emulating a N64 was a very bad experience on a PII.
I, on the other hand, managed to do it successfully with my P3 Coppermine 1000MHz

Exophase said:
guilmon999 said:
an emulator is not an OS emulator is a executable which is a program besides your view of the OS is very narrow if you made and OS gamecube for the pandora there are ways to get around many things to trick the rom into thinking everything is there when you only have a fraction of it.

You might want to consider quitting while you're ahead :\
wasnt planning to even start

Exophase said:
guilmon999 said:
an emulator is not an OS emulator is a executable which is a program besides your view of the OS is very narrow if you made and OS gamecube for the pandora there are ways to get around many things to trick the rom into thinking everything is there when you only have a fraction of it.

wasnt planning to start like i said its a waist of time by the time you finished the OS pandora 2 probably would of come out by now

guilmon999 said:
Exophase said:
guilmon999 said:

wasnt planning to start like i said its a waist of time by the time you finished the OS pandora 2 probably would of come out by now
He's saying that you are spouting nonsense and trying to justify it with more nonsense. You don't know what you are talking about with either emulation or OS development, so he suggested you stop talking before exposing just how ignorant you really are.

mvickers03 said:
My p3 400 genuinly did run close to full speed on mario 64. my 700 played most of the compatible games full speed..

There's no such thing as P3 400. But if there were it'd be much, much faster than a 133MHz Pentium 1. I think this shows just how off some of your memories are ;p

WizardStan said:
guilmon999 said:
Exophase said:
guilmon999 said:

He's saying that you are spouting nonsense and trying to justify it with more nonsense. You don't know what you are talking about with either emulation or OS development, so he suggested you stop talking before exposing just how ignorant you really are.
wow thanks for your kind words jerk just an idea

Gamecube emulation?!!? WHERE'S THE SEGA SATURN AT??? HUH...HUUUH???
Everyone knows that they want to be playing Radiantsilver Gun and Elevator Action 2 :p

worzyl said:
Gamecube emulation?!!? WHERE'S THE SEGA SATURN AT??? HUH...HUUUH???
Everyone knows that they want to be playing Radiantsilver Gun and Elevator Action 2 :p

Or Daytona, Sega Rally and NiGHTS (OK SO Daytona may one day be playable by the Dreamcast emulator, but Saturn Emulation is our only hope of the other two...)

Exophase said:
Dunny said:

D.

Weren't you one of those people I got into arguments over regarding realtime speed + frameskip not being fullspeed? I kinda think 1/3rd realtime speed is even more not fullspeed.

No, I was kinda validating what you just said. Why on earth would I class "about 10fps, in areas where not much was going on" as full speed? Surely full speed is 60fps with no frameskipping? I spent a lot of time back then with my own emulators tweaking the code to get to the magic 50fps. I still do, even though hardware is now outclassing my emulators...

Mario 64 wouldn't be that FPU intense, so chances are the Cyrix was better than a Pentium 133 at running stuff in it. I don't know if it was really 200MHz, though. Could have been a performance rating.

It was badged at 200 mhz, but never came close in performance to the real intel 200mhz. But hey, I had like zero cash for hardware back in those days so it had to do. It was still faster than the Amiga I had at the time.

D.

Exophase said:
mvickers03 said:

There's no such thing as P3 400. But if there were it'd be much, much faster than a 133MHz Pentium 1. I think this shows just how off some of your memories are ;p

Yeah it was mate honestly... it was my 3rd PC rig

look http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/
Had loads of fun with that.. it cost a fortune at the time
You were right actually it was pII 400

guilmon999 said:

Please use punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back