Gemei A320

I received mine today, will post some pictures later. I haven't played around with it much yet, but I'm glad to see it charges via USB on a Mac, although I haven't been able to get the device recognised as a Udisk.

The radio function works nicely, it automatically seeks through the FM frequency and assigns channels to the radio stations. The Dingoo seems to be large enough to function as its own antenna, and the speakers are adequately loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this system and as long as we can get constant stock this time (I'm looking at you JXD) I think we should give this little machine a big push.

So far I've tested the following games:

CPS1
Warriors of Fate - OK (zipped)
Captain Commando - OK (zipped)

SNES
Turtles in time - OK at frameskip 2, limited screen artifacts on edges (unzipped)

GBA
Mario Kart Super Circuit - OK (unzipped)

It appears the auto frameskip for SNES is not working properly, once configuring it myself the gameplay improved markedly.

'craigix' said:
I like this system and as long as we can get constant stock this time (I'm looking at you JXD) I think we should give this little machine a big push.
I do too! =D Tnx craig! If you can get them soon that'd be great, I'd much rather give my money to you guys. Lemme know if I should hold off.

I'd relly love to see development on this platform. I'm sure with good code the overall experience could be greatly improved. For me it's just powerful enough and just small enough to fit my needs. From what I hear it seems like all it needs is some non-chinese rip-off software and possibly a d-pad mod ;]

Oh god, I just looked up the JXD, must've missed that. Looks like it's got a nice screen & form factor, but wtf is up with those buttons? looks like a god awful layout, all unevenly spaced & whatnot, lol. D-pad looks terrible too.

I fucked my A320 trying to upgrade it with a firmware created with HXFmerge. Now, evey time I boot it the firmware update screen appears and after a few moments, if shows the Upgrade Failed message :(

edit: I could reflash it thanks to this program:

CODE
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/OndaVX747#Official_flash_recovery

We need to get all these little apps in to a gp2x style archive. I'm talking to Ed about it.

I just ordered a Nokia N810 although more expensive it seemed easier to develop for. I was able to install the sdk and get one of my gp2x games running (through the sdk).

I would still be intrested in this device if it would have the backup of the community as the gp2x had / has. I couldn't get the sdk working though but that's more due to me not knowing enough of linux in general and how things work. Maybe if the community created an sdk like with the gp2x i might pick one up (given it gets sold by you guys as well).

'craigix' said:
We need to get all these little apps in to a gp2x style archive. I'm talking to Ed about it.
Some ROM converters and emulators for the A320 are provided at http://a320.freeforums.org/
The kind people there have taken the time to translate some of the conversion GUIs from chinese to english.

'quartercast' said:
So far I've tested the following games:

CPS1
Warriors of Fate - OK (zipped)
Captain Commando - OK (zipped)

SNES
Turtles in time - OK at frameskip 2, limited screen artifacts on edges (unzipped)

GBA
Mario Kart Super Circuit - OK (unzipped)

It appears the auto frameskip for SNES is not working properly, once configuring it myself the gameplay improved markedly.
Nice to hear from someone who actually has a unit in his hands. Can you tell us about the buttons? Are they ok or crappy? Is it possible to play games like Street Fighter II with them?
And how are the multimedia features? Is it possible to play unconverted videos?

'SatanClaus' said:
Nice to hear from someone who actually has a unit in his hands. Can you tell us about the buttons? Are they ok or crappy? Is it possible to play games like Street Fighter II with them?
And how are the multimedia features? Is it possible to play unconverted videos?
Hi SatanClaus,

The buttons are okay, I'm pretty awful at Street Fighter and I managed a few hadoukens. The buttons and d-pad are slightly too recessed for me to say they're "great". I'm not sure what you mean by unconverted videos, I just downloaded a wmv off the web and the unit scaled it down to fit the screen. Curiously, the viewing angle is better from the left of my unit than from the right.

For those curious about the crappy SNES emulation, its just a snes9x port, so someone else can port it again if they so wish:

CODE
#!snes9x

SNES-SPC700 Sound File Data v0.30 (SPC Format Header)

a:\game\sfc.cfg

Found multiple ROM file headers (and ignored them).

YUYU NO QUIZ DE GO!GO!
SP MOMOTAROU DENTETSU2

ROM lied about its type! Trying again.
WWF SUPER WRESTLEMANIA
REASURE HUNTER G
DAIKAIJYUMONOGATARI2

No ROM file header found.
%s

THOROUGHBRED BREEDER3
DEZAEMON
LoROM
STRIKE GUNNER
CACOMA KNIGHT
GENSOUKI 1 JPN
ActRaiser
SOULBLAZER - 1 USA
SOULBLADER - 1
SLAP STICK 1 JPN
Parlor
SFC
OHMONO BLACKBASS
DIRT RACER
Stunt Race FX
DEZAEMON
RADICAL DREAMERS
TREASURE CONFLIXfi
WILD TRAX
KENTOUOU WORLDCHAMPIO
TKO SUPERCHAMPIONSHIP
TKO SUPER CHAMPIONS
HI
DAFFY DUCK: MARV MISS
GOGO ACKMAN3
ALIENS vs. PREDATOR
demon's blazon
ROCKMAN X
GANBA LEAGUE
goemon 4
PACHISLO
DRAGON KNIGHT 4
NANGOKUSYONEN
PAPUWA
Super Batter Up

NAM:%06d:%s%c

I am not so familiar with Sega things, but the MD/GEN emulator seems to support PICO too... anyone recognized the debug strings? Only reference I can find is genesis4iphone

CODE

Pico
bin
gen
smd
iso
zip
cso
CISO
%05i:%03i: cso: bad block size (%u)
%05i:%03i: allocated %i bytes for CSO struct
%05i:%03i: cso: premature EOF
%05i:%03i: cso: bad header
%05i:%03i: cso: uncompress failed @ %08x with %i
1.2.3%05i:%03i: cso: read failed @ %08x
Decompressing data...BOOT%05i:%03i: read failed
COLLEGE SLAMDINO DINI'S SOCCEREUROPEFRANK THOMAS BIGHURT BASEBALMICRO MACHINES IINBA JAM TOURNAMENT EDITIONNFL QUARTERBACK CLUBNBA JAMNHLPA HOCKEY '93NHLPA Hockey '93RINGS OF POWER

Pico.romsize=%d
%05i:%03i: sram: det: %i; eeprom: %i; start: %06x; end: %06x
mode set 1: %02x
display_disable: %i, M3: %i, palette: %i, ?, hints: %i
mode set 2: %02x
SMS/gen: %i, pal: %i, dma: %i, vints: %i, disp: %i, TMS: %i
mode set 3: %02x
LSCR: %i, HSCR: %i, 2cell vscroll: %i, IE2: %i
mode set 4: %02x
interlace: %i%i, cells: %i, shadow: %i
scroll size: w: %i, h: %i SRAM: %i; eeprom: %i (%i)
sram range: %06x-%06x, reg: %02x
pend int: v:%i, h:%i, vdp status: %04x
M68k: PC: %06x, cycles: %u, irql: %i
z80Run: %i, pal: %i, frame#: %i
warning: debug buffer overflow (%i/%i)
SekInit
SekReset error
SekReset g_m68kcontext=%x
INVALID!Saving.. M68K stateSaving.. RAMSaving.. VRAMSaving.. ZRAMSaving.. CRAMSaving.. VSRAMSaving.. emu stateSaving.. VIDEOSaving.. Z80 stateSaving.. PSGSaving.. FMSaving.. S68K stateSaving.. PRG_RAMSaving.. WORD_RAMSaving.. PCM_RAMSaving.. BRAMSaving.. GATE ARRAY regsSaving.. PCM stateSaving.. CDCSaving.. CDDSaving.. SCDSaving.. GFX chipSaving.. MCD statePicoSMCD%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState @ %x: areaRead: premature EOF

%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState: skipping unknown chunk %i of size %i

%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState @ %x: bad header

%05i:%03i: unexpected len %i, wanted %i (%s)
sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->m)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->rot_comp)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->scd)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->cdd)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->bram)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->pcm)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->word_ram2M)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->cdc)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->s68k_regs)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->pcm_ram)sizeof(((mcd_state *)Pico.rom)->prg_ram)sizeof(buff)0x200+4sizeof(Pico.zram)sizeof(Pico.video)sizeof(Pico.ram)28*4sizeof(Pico.vram)sizeof(Pico.vsram)sizeof(Pico.cram)sizeof(Pico.m)%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState @ %x: bad length

%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState @ %x: cd chunk in non CD state?

%05i:%03i: PicoCdLoadState @ %x: failed.

%05i:%03i: tray close

%05i:%03i: tray open

%05i:%03i: g_rate: %f %08x

'A600' said:
I fucked my A320 trying to upgrade it with a firmware created with HXFmerge. Now, evey time I boot it the firmware update screen appears and after a few moments, if shows the Upgrade Failed message :(

edit: I could reflash it thanks to this program:

CODE
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/OndaVX747#Official_flash_recovery
Thanks for releasing the speed app.

'DisgruntleElf' said:
Thanks for releasing the speed app.
I was going to post it here but I wanted to wait to finish the battery test :)

With the default speed (336 Mhz), the headphones plugged and the CPS1 emu running Final Fight I got 7h 45m.

With 430 Mhz (the max stable speed I get) right now has reached 6 hours and it is still going :)

'lodoss118' said:
Hi A600 how do u overclock it can you post ur firmware if possible?
It isn't a firmware but apps you must run with the 3D submenu of the game menu:

CODE
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzz2tchnzzm

I have included apps for 200, 336, 370, 400 and 430 Mhz.
Just a note: it seems the audio and video player sets the cpu speed so it won't work with those and, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My battery test with the CPU set to 430 Mhz hasn't yet finished (8 hours) and the bottom of the Dingoo seems to be a bit warm :D

just a note when i click on one of the apps in the 3d menu should it do something? like load or?

'A600' said:
My battery test with the CPU set to 430 Mhz hasn't yet finished (8 hours) and the bottom of the Dingoo seems to be a bit warm :D
Wow, that obliterates the Wiz battery life of ~5h... although I wonder what sort of battery life you'd get when underclocking the Wiz to ~400MHz. How come your Dingoo has a longer battery life at higher clock speed? Is it simply due to the fact that you've been discharging the Li-ion battery completely for the first time.

I'd like to see you run the 336MHz test again, and see what happens then.

'lodoss118' said:
just a note when i click on one of the apps in the 3d menu should it do something? like load or?
It should just load the application. The included "3d games" are pretty basic, there doesn't even appear to be an option for turning the annoying music off. Sorry about the double post.

Back