The New Dingoo A320 Topic

'Mjlink' said:
I have one and it's great. I would recommend you to get one. I do wish that most of the emulators would support zipped roms.

totally appreciate the reply. Was kinda hoping someone can answer the ?s I asked. Great is an adjective like nice.

Ciao,

Link

The Y/B button issue is still there but dingoo is supposedly working on it. You can get around in most games it by just changing the button settings.

SNES is choppy with sound on, runs near full speed with sound off and 1 frameskip. I only tested the Genesis emulator with Sonic 2, it doesnt have sound (as in the emulator doesnt) but it ran pretty smoothly. However there are some major graphical issues (scanlines are shifting around, it looks like the screen is melting) but they disappear if you use TV-out :eek:

GBA and NES are very playable. NES runs fullspeed no frameskip and GBA has 1-2 frameskip depending on the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly have been using the GBA, Neo-Geo, and CPS-1 emulators, which are all nice ;)
Specifically they seem to run nearly full speed with sound are are 100% playable from what I have found. NES is bascially 100% as well. SNES sound is choppy and scratchy at times and depending on the game but I haven't played it a lot yet Graphics seemed fine so far. The Genesis emulator I have just tried a little bit. NHLPA hockey WITH sound very playable but rare graphic glitches. Tried several others and they worked with sound and occaisional minor graphical glitches that didn't interfere with the game or the fun. To me the Genesis emualtor is a grade of A- :)

I'm not sure what you mean about the button problem but I think the buttons feel comfortable and the d-pad is just right for me. The shoulder buttons could have been slightly larger or a little closer to the corner but they're still ok. The controls are re-programmable in at least some of the emulators (not sure if in all) but I could check if someone really needs to know.

And it plays every video I have tried so far without any slow down or sync problems. Speakers could be better by facing out the front instead of out the bottom edge. I read where someone was going to mod theirs but I'm not sure how that turned out.

Now if a community of developers begins to follow it we would really have something special here.

DD,

Muchly appreciated your elaboration!

My understanding of button issue is it doesn't sense two buttons being pressed simultaneously (correct me please if I'm talking outta me arse) or something of that magnitude. Hence my question on it, all I've is vague.

No SDHC? Bummer

Peace

Link

'Mjlink' said:
DD,

My understanding of button issue is it doesn't sense two buttons being pressed simultaneously (correct me please if I'm talking outta me arse) or something of that magnitude. Hence my question on it, all I've is vague.

No SDHC? Bummer

Peace

Link
Interesting, because I hadn't noticed that being a problem but I had never payed any attention to it. So a quick and dirty test shows that in NeoGeo playing metal slug I can do all three things AT ONCE. That is jump, shoot and throw grenades. So it seemed to do three button presses at once.

I also tried GBA emulator CT Special forces 3 allows me to jump, shoot (A and B buttons) and throw grenade (Right shoulder button) simultaneously. However, I cannot do any other button press in combination with Change Weapon (Left Shoulder button). I suspect that this may be built into the game to prevent accidental weapon change rather than the dingoo not being able to recognize them simultaneously. Maybe someone could compare this to the actual game playing on an old gba to see if it is always like that.

Anyway, it seems to me it can read simultaneous button presses fine. Is there info to the contrary or am I imagining this?

By the way, it seems to do SDHC just fine. In fact, I have an 8gb micro sdhc (in a mini sdhc adaptor) in addition to the built in 4gb - for total of 12gb storage which I think is amazing. I see no reason why it wont do 16gb or more when they become more readily available. They claim up to 8gb in their specifications most likely because that is the max they tried it with.

Any thoughts?

-edit by me -

Ok, I found Atomic Man's thread about the Y and B buttons and that B takes priority over Y. So far I haven't found that to cause me any gameplay problems yet. I will let you know if it starts to bother me at all.

Dixie

'DixieDawg' said:
'Mjlink' said:
DD,

No SDHC? Bummer

Peace

Link
Interesting, because I hadn't noticed that being a problem but I had never payed any attention to it. So a quick and dirty test shows that in NeoGeo playing metal slug I can do all three things AT ONCE. That is jump, shoot and throw grenades. So it seemed to do three button presses at once.

I also tried GBA emulator CT Special forces 3 allows me to jump, shoot (A and B buttons) and throw grenade (Right shoulder button) simultaneously. However, I cannot do any other button press in combination with Change Weapon (Left Shoulder button). I suspect that this may be built into the game to prevent accidental weapon change rather than the dingoo not being able to recognize them simultaneously. Maybe someone could compare this to the actual game playing on an old gba to see if it is always like that.

Anyway, it seems to me it can read simultaneous button presses fine. Is there info to the contrary or am I imagining this?

By the way, it seems to do SDHC just fine. In fact, I have an 8gb micro sdhc (in a mini sdhc adaptor) in addition to the built in 4gb - for total of 12gb storage which I think is amazing. I see no reason why it wont do 16gb or more when they become more readily available. They claim up to 8gb in their specifications most likely because that is the max they tried it with.

Any thoughts?

-edit by me -

Ok, I found Atomic Man's thread about the Y and B buttons and that B takes priority over Y. So far I haven't found that to cause me any gameplay problems yet. I will let you know if it starts to bother me at all.

Dixie

it will definitely bother you if you play mario or mega man x. really depends on the games you play...

Signed up just to take part in this discussion. Heard about this device about a week ago and since then I've been lurking around the internet trying to find as much information on this thing as possible. The only thing stopping me from buying it at the moment is that I'm waiting for them to fix the Y/B issue, and I'm also a little worried about the quality of the electronics inside the device. I know the pictures of the insides were released, but I'm not able to determine the quality of the chipset or the electronics behind the buttons. Mainly I'm worried it's going to be like buying a third party controller for a console where the buttons stop working or get stuck. I just have no idea how to judge the quality of these things. As for everything else, it seems like a solid system that just needs some help on the software side, and with GBAX already working on it, I'm a little hopeful that this device can turn out to be great.

edit: I Just broke down and ordered one.

'mr.bear' said:
Signed up just to take part in this discussion. Heard about this device about a week ago and since then I've been lurking around the internet trying to find as much information on this thing as possible. The only thing stopping me from buying it at the moment is that I'm waiting for them to fix the Y/B issue, and I'm also a little worried about the quality of the electronics inside the device. I know the pictures of the insides were released, but I'm not able to determine the quality of the chipset or the electronics behind the buttons. Mainly I'm worried it's going to be like buying a third party controller for a console where the buttons stop working or get stuck. I just have no idea how to judge the quality of these things. As for everything else, it seems like a solid system that just needs some help on the software side, and with GBAX already working on it, I'm a little hopeful that this device can turn out to be great.
Physical build quality is excellent, as others have said here. The feel to the buttons is not cheap at all...rather the contrary. I'll repeat what I've said before, the buttons feel like altoids. It's not a bad thing.

mine arrived this morning and i have to agree, it feels like a very solid device. the only buttons im not keen on are the shoulders as they require more push than a GBA and they physically 'click'... but its really no problem at all. the whole thing is reassuringly weighty as wel., probably mostly due to the battery but none the less it feels solid and very nice to hold.

in case anyone hasnt noticed, the whole of the front of the case (excluding buttons of course) is covered with a barely visible protector to prevent it getting scratched... very nice!

'apex.ultima' said:
What disapoints me is the lack of master system support :) unless the mega drive (or genesis) emulator runs them?
You could try PocketSMS for the GBA and run it through the GBA-Emulator.

'SatanClaus' said:
'apex.ultima' said:
What disapoints me is the lack of master system support :) unless the mega drive (or genesis) emulator runs them?
You could try PocketSMS for the GBA and run it through the GBA-Emulator.

I could :p if i had a A320 haha, but tempted.

Just ordered an A320 from DX the other day. Since I hear that some of the emulators (e.g., the Genesis emulator) are marred by compatibility issues, is it possible to load other emulators onto the Dingoo?

'HenryH' said:
Just ordered an A320 from DX the other day. Since I hear that some of the emulators (e.g., the Genesis emulator) are marred by compatibility issues, is it possible to load other emulators onto the Dingoo?
HenryH,

The issue with emulators is mainly with SNES/Genesis games. The frameskip needs to be manually adjusted and some games might just be fast or slow. EDIT: In regards to Genesis, there are artifacts and issues with sound as well.

At this point, the manufactuer is working to improve emulator performance. The better news is that PARTs of this community and others across the net are working with the Dingo's SDK to get some things ported over to it that the manufactuer is not including on the system.

Hopefully the system will both be supported by developers and its manufactuers. The developers need to understand that it may be in their best interests to open up the system totatlly. But they are most likely concerned about copy cats and have no qualms utilizing some open source software and then closing it to meet their needs.

Sweet capitalism.

Stay tuned for MAME, Amiga, and Atari emulators according to GBAXs http://www.gbax.com in the UK have stated they have folks working on these.

As for the included emulators, keep an eye out at various Dingoo forums for updates to what is currently installed. Keep an eye here for ports from devs working on their own versions of these emulators and around the net.

It's gonna take some time, sit back, enjoy the ride. Lets hope the chinamen don't piss on our rug and pull the plug on this and roll out a Dingoo II. And then 6 months later roll out a Kangarooo.

Peace

Link

:D Can't help myself, so I've ordered one. I assume critical is working on the amiga port and skeezix on the atari ST port, I hope so as these will rock :D

Just wanted to show you two chinese A320 related forums, translated by google:
CODE
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fa320home.co.cc%2Findex.php&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

and
CODE
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dingoo888.com%2Fbbs%2Findex.asp&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

There seem to be a couple of custom firmwares too.
And also many games, for example "God of War":
CODE
http://209.85.135.132/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://a320home.co.cc/read.php%3Ftid%3D69%26fpage%3D0%26toread%3D%26page%3D1&usg=ALkJrhizE20KkQZiqIfyOgRvFMISZw49mw

Also a PCEngine-Emulator, i think:
CODE
http://209.85.135.132/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://a320home.co.cc/read.php%3Ftid%3D179&usg=ALkJrhhPb4qti0yP7L43YIhNV9_F3w3AeQ

Homebrew Software, i think:
CODE
http://209.85.135.132/translate_c?hl=de&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://a320home.co.cc/thread.php%3Ffid%3D32&usg=ALkJrhgRB3P7qXznTxUCsukSenJnqhvyLQ

Maybe someone with a Dingoo can look into this, i have to collect some money first. :lol:
But it would be pretty funny if there are already many programs and games available.

Or here, looks like a list of A 320 Games for me :D
CODE
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fa320home.co.cc%2Findex.php&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

Nice find. I managed to grab the PC Engine emulator off their FTP.

CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPOW5U2K

I have not tried this file myself yet. It is very late. I can only claim that this is the file mentioned on the link. Had to log in and post replies that will most likely get me banned to get access to the information needed to get it.

Enjoy.

Again, I have no idea what this file will do other than the site linked above mentions it as being a PC Engine emulator. It's not my fault if you screw your system up with it. Well, not yet anyway. :3 Good luck. Hopefully there will be a brave soul here willing to post results, if any.

Back