General Public To Help Assemble Our Pandoras?

gibberish

can someone please explain what craigix actually meant when he called for volunteers in the dallas area to help assemble pandoras?

I don't particularly want my pandora assembled, or even handled, by inexperienced members of the public :/

gibberish said:
can someone please explain what craigix actually meant when he called for volunteers in the dallas area to help assemble pandoras?

I don't particularly want my pandora assembled, or even handled, by inexperienced members of the public :/
Yeah, gotta admit, that thought hit my mind as well. Rather have fewer hands in the pot here even if it takes longer to get them all put together and sent out... Quality control is kind of a big thing! :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine what sort of factory would actually allow that to happen tbh, it sounds like a ridiculous idea to me.

Well i think it would be a good idea, it could make thing's come faster and people there would take lots of photos. Perhaps people here are inexpert in building machines but i don't think that the pandora it's a very difficult device to assemble.

At least in the youtube video of assembling a pandora looks quite easy.

I can't imagine what sort of factory would actually allow that to happen tbh, it sounds like a ridiculous idea to me.

gibberish said:
I'm confused. Just what the hell kind of factory allows members of the public in to help out without first screening them all, insuring them all against injury and making them sign a contract? That is the most bizarre thing i ever heard.

gibberish said:

gibberish said:

Dude. I think we heard you. Wait until somebody at least reads it before repeating yourself.

I'm not sure I agree with getting Joe Guy to handle my Pandora, especially with something delicate like a video ribbon cable. Not only that, but it might be difficult to find out which multiple Pandora faults can be traced back to which assembler.

Yeah!!! Next thing you know, they're going to let non-certified company professionals start writing drivers and software for the thing and maybe even make us use a OS built by a community. I think we can all chill. I highly doubt Craig, ED, MWeston and all will stick a bunch of fanboys in a room with a can of rubber cement and a pile of components.

I think that the random volunteer would probably be more interested in making sure they assembled everything well than the random folk you'd hire off of Craigslist for a one-off job like this.

gibberish said:
You do realize that most assembly line work doesn't require any sort of certification, right? There's no "experience" or whatnot required. So long as you can follow instructions and have basic motor skills, you can get a job working an assembly line somewhere. Put board in plastic A, put screen in plastic B, roll ribbon cable around plastic C and insert into plastic D, etc...
They wouldn't be soldering on components or anything, they have robots for that. It'd just be putting things together and screwing them down. It's not that hard to get wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired high school students to help assemble other things during the summer, even. They probably don't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

WizardStan said:
You do realize that most assembly line work doesn't require any sort of certification, right? There's no "experience" or whatnot required. So long as you can follow instructions and have basic motor skills, you can get a job working an assembly line somewhere. Put board in plastic A, put screen in plastic B, roll ribbon cable around plastic C and insert into plastic D, etc...
They wouldn't be soldering on components or anything, they have robots for that. It'd just be putting things together and screwing them down. It's not that hard to get wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired high school students to help assemble other things during the summer, even. They probably don't, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

That's not true, if you're going to be coming into any contact with an exposed PCB you have to have ESD training. Of course, you can train people in an hour, and just make sure they're all strapped and working on ESD mats..

Well, the least experienced people could stand back and take photos, or tape up the boxes or something. On the other hand, some of the folks in this community have pretty skilled backgrounds, depends who can make it to Dallas. If they're even allowed in anyway. Where's the poll asking how many people are going to Dallas? :rolleyes:

It's a community designed device...why not community assembled? :)

Cleesepandora.png

Exophase said:
WizardStan said:

That's not true, if you're going to be coming into any contact with an exposed PCB you have to have ESD training. Of course, you can train people in an hour, and just make sure they're all strapped and working on ESD mats..

Yeah - it takes alot longer to understand soldering - months/years (I worked in contract electronics for years running shopfloors)

You had to give at least a weeks training to understand ESD, cropping and putting a basic component such as a Nub onto PCB - there will obviously be a mixture of surface mounted and hand soldered components.

They only time you want noobs touching a pandora on a shopfloor is to do basic testing - whack in a test JIG and see if all basic checks okay then pack em, getting a noob to touch a bare pcb is a little crazy to say the least

Anything else is a pipedream - no self respecting contract electronics company would entertain letting someone with limited knowledge loose on assembling a pandora - or risk loosing shed loads of certifications and customers - it just aint the done thing in the west at least

RajTakhar said:
They only time you want noobs touching a pandora on a shopfloor is to do basic testing - whack in a test JIG and see if all basic checks okay then pack em, getting a noob to touch a bare pcb is a little crazy to say the least

Well, I'm sure that they could use the help with testing. I thought I read a while back (6-9 months ago?) that they wanted to do a cursory test on each unit. So, having lots of help there would probably be a big help.

They might also need to load the firmware onto each of the chips, because AFIK, the OMAP3530s only come with uboot loaded on them, and you have to push the firmware onto them. Don't know if the factory will do that or not.

Paraphrased quote pyramid
RajTakhar said:
Exophase said:
WizardStan said:
There's a lot of things to assemble that don't require soldering. Them screws can't put themselves in. They can do this!
I will make a valid point about still needing some minimal training to even touch electronics
I will now argue against letting people solder and use that as a spring board to say that untrained people shouldn't be assembling at all!
Uh... what?

banjeed said:
Yeah!!! Next thing you know, they're going to let non-certified company professionals start writing drivers and software for the thing and maybe even make us use a OS built by a community.

Messing with my software is one thing, messing with my hardware is another. A void point.

fiori_musicali said:
banjeed said:
Yeah!!! Next thing you know, they're going to let non-certified company professionals start writing drivers and software for the thing and maybe even make us use a OS built by a community.

Messing with my software is one thing, messing with my hardware is another. A void point.
Oh, i see, you don't want just ANYONE messing with your hardware ;)
smooch5dz.gif

Back