Gmu Gp2x Music Player V0.3.0 Released

Thanks for updating your player. I'm on the lookout for a good mp3/ogg player for my podcasts.

Two things I could really use, so I could stop using the default player is to be able to fast-forward through the audio file, and/or the ability to make bookmarks so I know where I left off in say a 55 minute podcast. Maybe if there was a way to tell gmu to save a flag to disk every minute when playing back a mp3 file and then if I just turn off my gp2x and then go back into the same mp3 it'll look on the sd card for the flag file which would tell it where I left off and it would start from that point?

Thanks again!

Maybe if there was a way to tell gmu to save a flag to disk every minute when playing back a mp3 file and then if I just turn off my gp2x and then go back into the same mp3 it'll look on the sd card for the flag file which would tell it where I left off and it would start from that point?

Thanks again!

I dont know if I would want to write to the flash that often. A manual bookmark with a simple button push would be better I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if there was a way to tell gmu to save a flag to disk every minute when playing back a mp3 file and then if I just turn off my gp2x and then go back into the same mp3 it'll look on the sd card for the flag file which would tell it where I left off and it would start from that point?

Thanks again!

I dont know if I would want to write to the flash that often. A manual bookmark with a simple button push would be better I think.

I would! I was half way through a 60min podcast when my batteries died. If it could save your place and resume it would save me a lot of time. I understand that this would reduce the lifespan of the SD card, but I'm willing to trade that for the convenience. It should be switched offable though.

An alternative would be to allow us to seek through a track, like the official player does. Not as slick, but better than nothing, and it doesn't require writing to the sd card.

I guess these are not easy things to do though?

Thanks again!

I would! I was half way through a 60min podcast when my batteries died. If it could save your place and resume it would save me a lot of time. I understand that this would reduce the lifespan of the SD card, but I'm willing to trade that for the convenience. It should be switched offable though.

An alternative would be to allow us to seek through a track, like the official player does. Not as slick, but better than nothing, and it doesn't require writing to the sd card.

I guess these are not easy things to do though?

Yeah right, but at least seeking (and when that is working saving the position in a track isn't that difficult anymore) is on my todo list, but it will probably not be ready for the next release yet.
But everything that involves writing to disk will be optional.

Nice work wejp. Is there a way to scroll down faster or more than one file (or playlist entry) at a time? Thanks.

You can hold the stick up or down for a second to keep scrolling, but faster scrolling than that is currently not possible but will be possible in the future.

mikmod, mikmod... It can't play filters in IT modules, terrible!
There was another cool player - mikIT. Did somebody has a sources of it? Mikit is the best for IT modules, in fact.

Plays pretty nicely, Wejp! XM support is almost flawless from what I can see except the "E" attribute (this is for increasing/decreasing volume of an instrument of the song). It amplifies about 3 times what it should.

Some of the instruments end up drowning out the other ones when used. I can drop you a sample XM in which this occurs if it can help.

Oh, Tone gives a bright idea: Open Cubic Player! Yes, it was the best DOS player for many tracker formats, it was ported to Windows and Linux later. Try it on GP2X!
http://www.cubic.org/player/download.html

main.png

P.S. it plays modern ITs wrong as well (better then mikmod, anyway).

the shutdown scree option with START+SELECt don't turn off the screen like the GPH player. It only turn the contrast lower. Can it turn totaly the screen off?

if my mp3 are ID3 tag 1.1 and 2.0 what tag use GMU player?

the files that use ID3V2.3 just print the first letter.

the shutdown scree option with START+SELECt don't turn off the screen like the GPH player. It only turn the contrast lower. Can it turn totaly the screen off?

It does not turn the contrast lower, but turns off the backlight to save power.

if my mp3 are ID3 tag 1.1 and 2.0 what tag use GMU player?

If both ID3v1 and ID3v2 are present Gmu uses ID3v2.

What do you mean by that? Is the title and/or artist incomplete? Does it happen for all your files with ID3v2?

One thing though: it seems to not be able to do jumps in .mod files well. In fact, on all .mod files I tried, the jumping didn't seem to do rather well. Try to play the One Must Fall menu music, for example...

i'm a huge fan of this application ... as one of the people who DOES use the gamepark as a pmp :)

i'm looking forward to being able to load an entire directory at once. i tried my hand at a shell script to do this, but it was pretty rough (dashes in the names always messed me up).

another feature i'm hungry for is the ability to delete the file you are listening to. as i imagine it, after a delete confirmation gmu would start playing the next file in the playlist so that it could delete the file you were just listening to and there would be no pause in the music.

very minor thing ... it's too bad browsing directories in this application is so slow, Enexfi is downright snappy in comparision ... maybe when the Enexfi source is released some ideas will be had for speeding that up :)

edit:

very cool thing ... that album art is displayed now, but i think it should look for art to display in this order:

1) i wasn't aware you could point to album art in tags, i don't use itunes, but maybe that should come have priority
2) if there is a jpg/gif/png with the same name as the ogg/mp3/xm/etc, use that
3) if there is a jpg/gif/png in the folder with the ogg/mp3/xm, display the first one you find

i also think gmu is very nicely visually designed, but the implementation of displaying the album art work is a bit clunky. even if it ment cropping the album artwork, i'd like to see it take up more of the screen. i imagine breaking up the bg.png into three areas (top, middle, bottom) and filling up the middle with the album artwork, then drawing the playlist over it. something like this:

gmuDesign.png

artwork would be stretched to width and vertically centered (or top/bottom, whatever ... if you wanted to get fancy there could be a button to hold down which comboed with the joystick would move the artwork up and down).

again, awesome software, my player of choice on the gp2x!

i'm a huge fan of this application ... as one of the people who DOES use the gamepark as a pmp :)

i'm looking forward to being able to load an entire directory at once. i tried my hand at a shell script to do this, but it was pretty rough (dashes in the names always messed me up).

another feature i'm hungry for is the ability to delete the file you are listening to. as i imagine it, after a delete confirmation gmu would start playing the next file in the playlist so that it could delete the file you were just listening to and there would be no pause in the music.

very minor thing ... it's too bad browsing directories in this application is so slow, Enexfi is downright snappy in comparision ... maybe when the Enexfi source is released some ideas will be had for speeding that up :)

edit:

very cool thing ... that album art is displayed now, but i think it should look for art to display in this order:

1) i wasn't aware you could point to album art in tags, i don't use itunes, but maybe that should come have priority
3) if there is a jpg/gif/png in the folder with the ogg/mp3/xm, display the first one you find

i also think gmu is very nicely visually designed, but the implementation of displaying the album art work is a bit clunky. even if it ment cropping the album artwork, i'd like to see it take up more of the screen. i imagine breaking up the bg.png into three areas (top, middle, bottom) and filling up the middle with the album artwork, then drawing the playlist over it. something like this:

gmuDesign.png

artwork would be stretched to width and vertically centered (or top/bottom, whatever ... if you wanted to get fancy there could be a button to hold down which comboed with the joystick would move the artwork up and down).

Thanks for your suggestions. I like the idea of a larger cover art and will probably implement that in a future version.

I was asked about the possibility of deleting files from within Gmu before. It is on my todo list and will make it into Gmu at some point.
The same is true for a directory-add function. This will be possible in the future.

Another thing I've been thinking about is regarding moving the player to background to run other apps, or read an e-book, etc. Did anyone ever think of porting MPD and use the great work from wejp or Craig to adapt their players as a front end? One could exit the player and the music would keep playing in background... Does it make any sense?
Actually, I've been thinking about making an MPD port+frontend for the GP2X. Haven't yet decided whether to invest the time, though. More details are available here.

What do you mean by that? Is the title and/or artist incomplete? Does it happen for all your files with ID3v2?
title and artist. Just the files using ID3 V2.3 not the files using ID3 V2.0

First of Excellent music player, From now on i will be using my gp2x as my mp3 player.

Anyway whilst playing around with the program i have come up with some suggestions that i would be really happy to see if they were integrated.

User interface

1)auto switch off display after predetermined length of time (fixed, i found the option in the .config file in the zip)
2)jump forwards/backwards based on percentage (like gp2x built in mp3 player)and fast forward/rewind scan
3)bookmark features for mp3
4)have the program display the current time /remaining time
5)have it so that when you press up from first item in the list have it scroll to the bottom.
6)list directories first THEN media (maybe list by file types?)
7)not sure if this is easy but when you press right quickly have it jump down one page and hold it to scroll right.
8)I personally find it annoying having the id3 info displayed with the select button (as this is linked to the playlist/ folder view ) can that be reassigned to another key?

playlist

1)add entire directories to the playlist
2)I have noticed that if you finish listening to the last item in the playlist, and you add a new item it won't start playing it automatically instead you have to manually start it.
3)save playlist, open playlist etc

All in all its a great program and i would love to see some of these ideas implemented

Also could some skins be collected together and hosted on the gp2x site as the default skin is a tad boring and i am a terrible artist :p

Thanks

First of Excellent music player, From now on i will be using my gp2x as my mp3 player.

Anyway whilst playing around with the program i have come up with some suggestions that i would be really happy to see if they were integrated.

User interface

1)auto switch off display after predetermined length of time (fixed, i found the option in the .config file in the zip)
2)jump forwards/backwards based on percentage (like gp2x built in mp3 player)and fast forward/rewind scan
3)bookmark features for mp3
4)have the program display the current time /remaining time
5)have it so that when you press up from first item in the list have it scroll to the bottom.
6)list directories first THEN media (maybe list by file types?)
7)not sure if this is easy but when you press right quickly have it jump down one page and hold it to scroll right.
8)I personally find it annoying having the id3 info displayed with the select button (as this is linked to the playlist/ folder view ) can that be reassigned to another key?

playlist

1)add entire directories to the playlist
2)I have noticed that if you finish listening to the last item in the playlist, and you add a new item it won't start playing it automatically instead you have to manually start it.
3)save playlist, open playlist etc

All in all its a great program and i would love to see some of these ideas implemented

Also could some skins be collected together and hosted on the gp2x site as the default skin is a tad boring and i am a terrible artist :p

Thanks

Yes, I will implement some of these things and some of them will be available in the next release already.
Loading playlist is already possible (m3u import) and saving playlists (besides saving the current playlist on exit (playlist.m3u)) will be possible in the future as well.
5) will definately be ready with the next release.

I have released Gmu 0.3.1.

Some of its new features are:

* a (recursive) directory add function (you can add whole directories including all subdirectories to the playlist)
* Improved cover viewer with a large-cover-mode (as suggested by starpause). This mode can be enabled through the config file. In the new mode the image is scaled such as its width matches the display width and you can scroll up and down to see the whole image.
* Support for non-ASCII characters (such as umlauts)
* Support for ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 (support for UTF-16 tags will follow in a future version)
* Pressing the "up" button at the top of the playlist/directory listing will jump to the end. Pressing the "down" button at the bottom of the playlist/directory will jump to its beginning

Download: http://wejp.k.vu/projects/gmu/gmu-0.3.1.zip

gmu5.png

edit:

gmuDesign.png

Rockbox on my MP3 player does it in this order:

If there is a jpg/png with the song name.
If there is a jpg/png with the name cover.jpg/cover.png

As there could be many images in a directory, but you want the cover of the album.

Back