pepone

Pouet! Pouet! Do want!
Website
m.peponas.free.fr
NEW Version 0.8.3
- Fix memory issue with crypted roms
- Add an option to strech 800x480

Note: Save states are broken for now

Available from the repo, the file archive or here http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo_0.8.3.pnd
Could someone update apps.openpandora.org? description and authors are outdated.

--
hi all!

I finally got some times to update gngeo for the pandora. Here is the pnd: http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo_0.8.2.pnd
also available here http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=gngeopnd-pepone

What's new in this version is better button handling while in menu and proper vsync support thanks to notaz SDL.

PS: Use space while ingame to open the emulator menu.

I hope you will enjoy it.

tried it, very nice fontend!
This time it recognizes my kof98 rom, but it won´t load it and says that the file or folder isn´t found and then suggests me, that the romset
is too old. Also a romset (mslugx) which worked in the previous version won´t load either and gives me the same error.

I had the 0.7 version, I copied the new pnd over the old one.
This is the exact error message comming from the gui:

Error!=
Gngeo Couldn´t init kof98:

Rom/media/mmcblk0pl/rom/neogeo/kof98.zip not found

Maybe theromset you´re using is too old

the same error happens with mslugx.zip

Edit: I noticed a difference between the kof98 error and the metal slugx error,
when trying to load kof98.zip it takes some time before showing the error written above,

but when I try mslugx.zip the error is put out immediatly and it looks like this:

Error!=
Gngeo Couldn´t init mslugx:

Parent /media/mmcblk0pl/rom/neogeo/mslugx.zip not found

Maybe theromset you´re using is too old

(added bold to point out the difference)

the 0.7 version was designed for a very old romset. that romset is no more supported by gngeo 0.8
You need a more recent one, something like a romset compatible with "mame 0.106" or "fba next".

Sorry for the inconvenience, but supporting multiple romset is to much pain (the is so many different one...) and I want gngeo to support something more recent and more widly used.

@jonlad1:
You mean fullscreen like taking all the 800x480 resolution without respecting 4/3 aspect ratio? It's not currently supported, but should be possible.

Thanks pepone, Another great update.

Do you happen to have a way to access the debug menu? That is where you can change the blood in Metal slug, and game region ect.?

Also, most of my recent rom set works fine, but certain games will hang the emu. It won't give a message, it will just dump you out to the desktop, but gnGeo will stay froze on top. I then have to do a hard reset to get out of this. Garou-Mark of the wolves is an example. Prototype set works and loads find, but bootleg, and set1, and set 2 causes the problem. They will start to load, and stop and hang.

Is there a way to fix this so it just dumps you out completely without leaving the emu froze on screen, or just gives some kind of error message and then allows you to just pic another rom? The hard reset is a pain.

I'm not sure why it does this, as maybe the rom set isn't supported but I'm not sure. Is there a way to maybe highlight games in the selection screen that are good, and a different color for those that aren't complete sets(like in other neogeo emu's?) Also, do you have any plans to add in screen shot support? Thanks again for the great effort, this is another great Pandora emu.

Chris

Bampt said:
Sorry, didn´t thought that the romset support would change that much in 0.7 to 0.8,
now i´m off to get newer ones :D
Yeah, I never really understood why Mame and certain arcade emulators change there roms between versions. It's complete and utter chaos in my opinion, but what do I know. One standard like the consoles use would be great. My current Neogeo set runs about 85-95% of the whole set on pepone's emu, and I only got about 60-80% with the other Neogeo emulator with the same set.

Now before this current update, my same set ran less on the last version. So I have one set of roms that went from barely running, to almost all working. I agree that it is best to go with the most recent rom sets out there, but it is still a pain in the ass over the long run!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Bampt said:
tried it, very nice fontend!
This time it recognizes my kof98 rom, but it won´t load it and says that the file or folder isn´t found and then suggests me, that the romset
is too old. Also a romset (mslugx) which worked in the previous version won´t load either and gives me the same error.
KOF98 runs fine for me. Even some encrypted roms like Nightmare in the Dark is working flawlessly. Bigger roms like mslug3 or Garou are not working though. It freezes while tries to decrypt.
Very nice emu BTW Pepone. Keep it up this great work.

Thanks Pepone for this.

Hopefully in the future there will be support for large ROMs, should be doable with Pandora's 128 MB RAM right?

I don't really know why, but big roms like garou or mslug3 should work, and they do work on my pandora.
I need to rework the decryption routine to use less ram. hopefully it will solve those issue.

And IIRC the pandora have 256MB of ram right?

@jupman: all the different romset come from early dump that where badly done. Roms have been redump since then.
Some more explanation here http://www.hardworks.de/neogeo/#q28

(they is also all the mess with prototype roms, decrypted roms, bootleg, etc.)

Just had time to try it out now - awesome!

MetalSlugs, Ganrou, Sengoku3 all work fine. Every Samurai Showdown I tried gave a Z80 error after the green boot screen.

The front end is fantastic, on par with Notaz's rom picker!

Yes, I just meant full screen scaling, so it uses all the screen. That would be great if you had chance to add that.

Thanks again Pep! ;)

I have a version that compile on the gp2x, still far from perfect (and my usb networking is broken so it's painfull to debug)
But I'll try to publish it when I'll find some time :)

pepone said:
I have a version that compile on the gp2x, still far from perfect (and my usb networking is broken so it's painfull to debug)
But I'll try to publish it when I'll find some time :)

Thanks Pepone.

Thanks for this Pepone. Hand held Neo Geo Rules. :D

Not had any luck getting it working though, guess I need a newer romset. :(

I've got a few questions though :

1) What bios files are required?
2) Where do you put the bios files?
3) Do the roms have to named in a certain way / saved in a certain format (.zip, 7z, unzipped, etc) to be recognised?
4) Is there any documentation for this emulator?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Mr Loon said:
I've got a few questions though :

1) What bios files are required?
2) Where do you put the bios files?
3) Do the roms have to named in a certain way / saved in a certain format (.zip, 7z, unzipped, etc) to be recognised?
4) Is there any documentation for this emulator?

1) standard bios file as used by recent mame will be fine
2) put neogeo.zip at the same place than your roms
3) Yes. Roms need to be in zip format and the naming convention is the same as Mame.
4) Unfortuantly, not really, I suck at documentation.

pepone said:
You need a more recent one, something like a romset compatible with "mame 0.106" or "fba next".
So only roms compatiple with MAME .106 will run? Because none of the roms i have will work in this gngeo version and i tried getting some current romsets but they don't work either.
I'm wondering how to obtain roms for this version of MAME.

Back