Gngeo2x 0.6.12

I can't get any games to work with this version (I just replaced the gngeo file that was included in the archive with the original; the frontend loads up just fine (tried it without the frontend and no dice), but everything freezes after choosing a game). Might just be the whole region mumbo jumbo stuff though (Could you consider trying to find a way to detect a rom's region settings or somehow make it so that you can play each game in any region? It can be very frustrating constantly booting the GP2X on and off when you choose the wrong region for a specific game).

I can't get any games to work with this version (I just replaced the gngeo file that was included in the archive with the original; the frontend loads up just fine (tried it without the frontend and no dice), but everything freezes after choosing a game). Might just be the whole region mumbo jumbo stuff though (Could you consider trying to find a way to detect a rom's region settings or somehow make it so that you can play each game in any region? It can be very frustrating constantly booting the GP2X on and off when you choose the wrong region for a specific game).

I'd suggest you tu use unibios ( free ), an alternative to the standart bios of a neo-geo. It let's you choose the region when the neo-geo starts up, and with it I hadn't got any problems with regions before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already tried using UniBios but I could never get it to work (Always froze after choosing a game), so I just gave up on it and stuck with the original bios.

Anyways, I'm more concerned about getting this new version to work. I tried all the region settings, so I don't think that's it.

Greta update! It works great, and the speed is incredible. I can even play some games at 22khz at very decent frame rates! Congratulations.

There is one issue though.. Tv Out is not working correctly:

this new beta won't load any roms for me, i replaced the new gngeo with the old one, and now nothing is loading

It's smoother than ever, but I'm still missing that text/lifebar layer on KoF2000.

Everything else runs wonderfully, though!

yeah i just played metal slug through again and its the fastest yet for sure! good job!

i noticed on league bowling and top player's golf with the new asm zooming code from the last version - there are a lot of missing pixels on the left edge during a zoom although it is obviously much faster.

Can someone post a .gfx dump of metal slug 3, as its nolonger working for me. Its all graphically corrupt, and I tried redumping with the new beta dumper, and it says that its couldn't dump.

I've been having probs with Mslug3.zip as well, trying to re-dump it by matching the roms to the list in the romrc file. No luck yet, even when they match.

I'll give er' another shot tonight and let you guys know how it goes.

Just like Azure, I can't load anything with new speed-hack version of gneogeo :(. I've tried to wipe out the whole gneogeo and install it again but it didn't work.

I have Mk1 with firmware 2.0.0. Any Ideas?

Just like Azure, I can't load anything with new speed-hack version of gneogeo :(. I've tried to wipe out the whole gneogeo and install it again but it didn't work.

I have Mk1 with firmware 2.0.0. Any Ideas?

same for me :/

i planned to erase the config file but, according to your comment, it seems useless.
i also do have a mark one unit with a 2.0.0 firmware but i suspect Pepone also does.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Metal Slug 3 try getting the dump again, and verify it matches before redumping it. Mine is working perfectly with the dump I made for v 12.

Aha. I've found a bit of a problematic issue here.

I'm currently using the romrc file from the gngeo6.12 release (2/25/2006)

This file supports mslug3.zip

Now, the romrc file that is included with the latest dumpgfx (06/09/2006) does not include mslug3.zip support! Only mslug3n.zip which has completely different roms/names in it!

Soo, I take it that we're supposed to put this new romrc file in the Gngeo dir on the GP2X and everything should be fine. Except that many of the supported romsets have changed. Samurai Showdown 5 Special won't work anymore when copying over the new file.

Anyways, should we recompile our roms for the 2/25/2006 ver of romrc?

or the 06/09/2006 version?

Anyways, I recompiled mslug3n.zip with the new dumpgfx and new romrc. I threw it on my Gp2x with the OLD romrc and it works! Missing an overlay on the top of the screen, otherwise it works perfect! Weird.

i just downloaded the mame mslug3.zip and then the mslug3n.zip and put the mslug3n files in the other larger zip and that worked fine for me. I don't get life bars when in a slug but i don't think that is supposed to work and at least we get all the text displays.

sorry to ask this again but is anyone else having trouble with their unibios settings being saved? id like to know if its a bug or something im doing wrong.

also the bottom of the screen got corrupted while playing super sidekicks 3. im guessing that is a bug with the new hack.

anyway very nice speed increase. neo geo rocks and the gp2x is the best way to play it on a console thanks to pepone.

Gah! I'm trying both of these things and still no luck. dumpgfx just says "couldn't load mslug3.zip" whenever I try to dump the graphics out of it (with the mslug3n files in the zip, too). And if I try it on the genuine machine it loads a few files and then just borks out without saving a .gfx file. Erk.

Raster dosent work well. I have problems with supersidekicks saga.

Other games without raster works perfect.

Back