Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

Before I plop down the dough, I just want to clarify that they don't look ANYTHING like pauses in emulation. It looks identical to just having the frameskip on something like 6 or 7 (Kind of like how DKC1 runs on SquidgeSNES in game).
6/7 is very low. I'm sure the mentionned games work well here.
How many fps do you have with a game that don't require a gfx dump?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pepone!

sorry to ask always strange things, but I've made an appropriate thread without results, son I'm gonna seeking coders post-by-post.. ;)

I've some problem, in the way gngeo alters the lcd timing, also if I need to be honest cause it's the emulator which make less problems, it washes the screen making appearing tiny weaving diagonal lines.
In short seems it changes the lcd timing values without looking at the tweaker script, or the globak lcd-utility setting, placing a pre-coded value, so I can't change this behaviour (I repeat it's not something which can be changed with a tweaker cpu_script...nor a gamma value).
Thanks to god_at_hell, I've discovered that removing the lines about the display control in the source code, give the result I was searching for, returnig the lcd it's natural colors.
Now, basically I would to know if after the introduction of firmwares 1.4/2.0 this kind of lcd control is obsolete, or if it can be removed for people with my same problem... or what can I do?

Thanks alot in advance!

Aruse

Hi Pepone!

sorry to ask always strange things, but I've made an appropriate thread without results, son I'm gonna seeking coders post-by-post.. ;)

I've some problem, in the way gngeo alters the lcd timing, also if I need to be honest cause it's the emulator which make less problems, it washes the screen making appearing tiny weaving diagonal lines.
In short seems it changes the lcd timing values without looking at the tweaker script, or the globak lcd-utility setting, placing a pre-coded value, so I can't change this behaviour (I repeat it's not something which can be changed with a tweaker cpu_script...nor a gamma value).
Thanks to god_at_hell, I've discovered that removing the lines about the display control in the source code, give the result I was searching for, returnig the lcd it's natural colors.
Now, basically I would to know if after the introduction of firmwares 1.4/2.0 this kind of lcd control is obsolete, or if it can be removed for people with my same problem... or what can I do?

Thanks alot in advance!

Aruse

Well, I don't think I change anything rellated with lcd timing in gngeo. It's maybe related with the overclocking code? I'm interrested to see the code modified by god_at_hell :)

Before I plop down the dough, I just want to clarify that they don't look ANYTHING like pauses in emulation. It looks identical to just having the frameskip on something like 6 or 7 (Kind of like how DKC1 runs on SquidgeSNES in game).
6/7 is very low. I'm sure the mentionned games work well here.
How many fps do you have with a game that don't require a gfx dump?
Well, fatal fury special doesn't require a graphics dump (I think) and that was choppy and unplayable for me.

Here's a video of Pulstar (279 mhz):
Pulstar

Is it this choppy for you guys as well?

Well, I don't think I change anything rellated with lcd timing in gngeo. It's maybe related with the overclocking code? I'm interrested to see the code modified by god_at_hell :)

Dunno if I brake rules or else, but here is what god_at_hell said to me in a "help me" topic, he was just trying to help my issue, not to patch some code or else, so maybe this is just a workaround, but at least it works!

for mame, you have to go to the directory src\gp2x of the source and open the file cpuctrl.cpp ... there go to line 67 and commend all the lines between the curly brackets of funktion set_display_clock_div() OR ... open file minimal.cpp and comment line 200 (the only line where set_display_clock_div() is used). I did both.
After that you can compile the whole stuff. As i said ... you don't have to alter many lines :)

Anyway, if there is a problem with how in the end the application manage the lcd freq (and maybe few people noticed yet), I think that we could all cooperate to solve it... I'm not here to criticize your code dude!

Thanks

Aruse

Anyway, if there is a problem with how in the end the application manage the lcd freq (and maybe few people noticed yet), I think that we could all cooperate to solve it... I'm not here to criticize your code dude!

Thanks

Aruse

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll try to look at it :)

Well, fatal fury special doesn't require a graphics dump (I think) and that was choppy and unplayable for me.

Pulstar

Bad... It should be a lot more better :(
I have maybe an idea:
You always use rage2x? Do you hit th B button to launch the game? Then it discard the setting and use the default one. And there is a little bug than put the cpu @133 instead of your setting.

Can you try with selector just to test? Or use A instead of B?

Also, do you have other process in the background? (samba telnet ftp?) it may have an impact on speed.

I have that exact Sandisk 1GB card, and was playing Pulstar last night:

Overclocked to 250 I think, with sound, using Rage2X (pressing A to start - i fell into the "B button trap" for a while too!)

...and it was MUCH smoother that than video. [It has the graphics dumped i believe]

So I don't think you can blame the SD card. If you want i'll try and make a video later...?!

[EDIT: No, it turns out i actually have a Lexar 32x card. Also, i'm an idiot. Sorry.]

same here - pulstar ran fine just now. but, i do have a "viking" 2GB card, not a sandisk. (it's actually a toshiba)

but ugh - i think i am going crazy with this metal slug 3 problem. using a rom i know to have worked for other people, using the latest gngeo release - i still get no text (ammo display, "press start", menus). and also, on the neo geo bootup screen, instead of saying "max 330 mega" or "giga power" or whatever it usually says, it doesn't. i just get the screen fade effect and the neo geo writing, and the sound. very strange.

however, with a good rom, i no longer have a problem with metal slug 5. so thankyou to the sender of the pm ;)

edit: i noticed something else: in super dodge ball, the timer and player life meters no longer work. i see them, but they don't decrease. these worked with older versions of gngeo.... maybe i'll go back a couple versions? XD

but ugh - i think i am going crazy with this metal slug 3 problem. using a rom i know to have worked for other people, using the latest gngeo release - i still get no text (ammo display, "press start", menus). and also, on the neo geo bootup screen, instead of saying "max 330 mega" or "giga power" or whatever it usually says, it doesn't. i just get the screen fade effect and the neo geo writing, and the sound. very strange.
This is a know issue. And it should be corrected in the next release :)

Thanks

Aruse

I've just check the code I use, and I don't understand because I never touch the lcd timing... The only thing I do is changing the 920 frequency. For that, I use the code from the cpu_tweak utility.
I think I don't quite understand where the probleme is :unsure: . Any tips is welcome :D

Edit: Do you use Selector or Rage2x?

This is a know issue. And it should be corrected in the next release :)

Cool. The same thing happens in the MVS rom of puzzle bobble, though the MAME rom works in the current release...

Ok so i'm really new to this, got my G2x yesterday, mainly for the Neo Geo emu :) Can't get it to work however, get an error message saying bios file ./roms/sp-s2.spl is missing? Where would i be able to obtain this, or is it not allowed to say? I have the roms for the games i own AES's of but can't run them :(
Also i can only run DrMD up to 250 mhz, any more than that and it crashes... does this mean that my GP2x only overclocks that low and more importantly will this mean that i'll be screwed for decent Neo Geo emulation?
Thanks in advance and apologies for the newbie questions.

Ok so i'm really new to this, got my G2x yesterday, mainly for the Neo Geo emu :) Can't get it to work however, get an error message saying bios file ./roms/sp-s2.spl is missing? Where would i be able to obtain this, or is it not allowed to say? I have the roms for the games i own AES's of but can't run them :(
Also i can only run DrMD up to 250 mhz, any more than that and it crashes... does this mean that my GP2x only overclocks that low and more importantly will this mean that i'll be screwed for decent Neo Geo emulation?
Thanks in advance and apologies for the newbie questions.

No you can't get ROM links here. Google or the usual places.

Yes, if it crashes after a certain clock that is the limit of your unit. No you aren't screwed , just drop the sound quality a bit and run as fast as you can it will be good enough.

Strange, I can understand why mslug3 has the bug, but not puzzle bobble. I have to check that.

i think he meant the thing i mentioned about super dodge ball? that the life meter/time doesnt decrease. not sure, but sounds more likely..

i think probleme with puzzle bobble is due to a faulty romrc file, no?

Thanks

Aruse

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll try to look at it :)

Pulstar
I have maybe an idea:
You always use rage2x? Do you hit th B button to launch the game? Then it discard the setting and use the default one. And there is a little bug than put the cpu @133 instead of your setting.

Also, do you have other process in the background? (samba telnet ftp?) it may have an impact on speed.
If I try to use the A button to run a game the screen gets garbled (Background turns green and there are garbled things slightly scattered across). After 20 seconds or so, the game boots up (With lowered sound volume than normal; putting the volume to max still results in very quiet sound) and then I can never get past the piracy screen:

This rom cartridge is for use with
original snk boards only.
Copying of SNK boards is prohibited
and may result in severe civil and
criminal penalties and will be
prosecuted to the maximum extent
of the law.

Sometimes I get two messages; the first is about using the cartridge in only JPN systems and the message is in white text. The message usually goes away after a second, but then it is proceeded with this message in red text (Which I can never get by).

I never got any of these messages when I used B to boot games. Using the standard file selector and not Rage2X results in choppy performance just like with using Rage2X and using the B button to boot games.

Twinkle Star Sprites seems to run just fine even though I get the same piracy protection messages. I'm going to mess around with the region settings and maybe that'll fix everything.

BTW, is there any way to go back to the Rage2X menu while in game?

Ha, got Blazing Star working. Looks absolutely gorgeous and plays absolutely perfectly. I can't believe that this little handheld is running Blazing Star full speed with sound. This is definetly going to be the game I'm going to use to show off the GP2X :D

Got Pulstar and a few others working. A nice feature in future versions would be the ability to auto check the region :)

I have maybe an idea:

If I try to use the A button to run a game the screen gets garbled (Background turns green and there are garbled things slightly scattered across). After 20 seconds or so, the game boots up (With lowered sound volume than normal; putting the volume to max still results in very quiet sound) and then I can never get past the piracy screen:

This rom cartridge is for use with
original snk boards only.
Copying of SNK boards is prohibited
and may result in severe civil and
criminal penalties and will be
prosecuted to the maximum extent
of the law.
That's because when you use A, it use global settings of rage2x, and it seems that the setting are not configured to use the unibios. Press select in rage2x to change it, and it should work.
Sometimes I get two messages; the first is about using the cartridge in only JPN systems and the message is in white text. The message usually goes away after a second, but then it is proceeded with this message in red text (Which I can never get by).

I never got any of these messages when I used B to boot games. Using the standard file selector and not Rage2X results in choppy performance just like with using Rage2X and using the B button to boot games.

Twinkle Star Sprites seems to run just fine even though I get the same piracy protection messages. I'm going to mess around with the region settings and maybe that'll fix everything.

BTW, is there any way to go back to the Rage2X menu while in game?
I think there is an option in Rage2x to do that ("Relaod gui" or somthing like that)
Ha, got Blazing Star working. Looks absolutely gorgeous and plays absolutely perfectly. I can't believe that this little handheld is running Blazing Star full speed with sound. This is definetly going to be the game I'm going to use to show off the GP2X :D
Haa! I'm really happy to hear that :D

Were there any updates to this emu planned like ASM sprite/background scaling for games that zoom in and out? It gets kind of choppy especially those fighting games where it zooms in etc. Also a few games have broken sound like Sonic wings.

Otherwise this is great.

Back