Got displays, looking for keymats

Wouldn't it be easier to have a 1 layer circuit board with two key landing zones on it and a pair of real buttons (like the 4 game buttons) held vertically on in the back corner of the case and connected with 3 wires +,+,- connected back to the main board?

I.e. each shoulder button would have it's own 1 cm x 1.5 cm board. They could be the same part side to side - connecting them to the main should be pretty easy...?
isn't that what I've been suggesting :blink:

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

How the hell are side to side buttons going to work. I foresee a lot of miss clicks with the outer one if its done Pandora style. Even if its a Pandora trigger cut in half I see issues... Damn hope I'm just a blundering idiot and this isn't a valid issue because if not that may make using them as desktop function (or gaming a bit trickier)

Apropos the keymat; ask the people over at Ikea who manufactured the black silicon rubber PLASTIS ice cube trays for them.

http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/60146194/

plastis-eiswurfelbehalter__0247033_PE385998_S4.JPG

You cannot put two fingers at the back unless you're a two year old kid, maybe. Try to comfortably squeeze two fingers at the back of an opened Pandora...
That's why I was suggesting a two-button over/under pair designed for use with a single finger.  Note buttons, not flapping shoulder paddles like the Pandora - but actual buttons set directly over/under each other.

Roll left index finger up for L1, roll left index finger down for L2, mash in straight for L1+L2.

Side by side buttons are an option too - but then we're still talking about the need for them to be buttons instead of flapping shoulder paddles.

Buttons are mechanically easier to build - and imho are easier to use.

You cannot put two fingers at the back unless you're a two year old kid, maybe. Try to comfortably squeeze two fingers at the back of an opened Pandora...
That's why I was suggesting a two-button over/under pair designed for use with a single finger. Note buttons, not flapping shoulder paddles like the Pandora - but actual buttons set directly over/under each other.

Roll left index finger up for L1, roll left index finger down for L2, mash in straight for L1+L2.

Side by side buttons are an option too - but then we're still talking about the need for them to be buttons instead of flapping shoulder paddles.

Buttons are mechanically easier to build - and imho are easier to use.
buttons on top of each other I think would be more defined then side by side allow for a much better hold and less accidental presses.

Ever tried the NeoGeoX or JXD7300? You can use all four buttons comfortably, without accidental presses.

Ever tried the NeoGeoX or JXD7300? You can use all four buttons comfortably, without accidental presses.
don't have access to such beasts sadly

Me too. I assume that as we get closer to emulating more up to date systems we will need to access L2, L3, R2 and R3 more often.

Where these buttons are on the keyboard or on the device is less important to me than knowing where they are and being able to press them easily, if that makes any sense.

Sorry, having a hard time keeping up. What's the problem with top and bottom buttons? I thought it was already done with the Pandora.

Is it only because of manufacturing?

Sorry, having a hard time keeping up. What's the problem with top and bottom buttons? I thought it was already done with the Pandora.

Is it only because of manufacturing?
4 shoulder buttons: Manufacturing.

6 face buttons: The layout. It will be uncomfortable and unergonomic if it's done the classic way.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 shoulder buttons: comfort as well.

I tried Askarus mod and wasn't able to press the uppuer buttons when the lid was open without triggering the loweer buttons as well.

And my hands cramp a bit while trying to push the upper ones.

The space is just too small. Askarus has long, thin fingers. It works well for him, but not for the average user.

Has anyone ever seen a joypad with as little space as we got with the Pandora and four shoulder buttons like that?

It's not the same, but I'm curious what you think about this one:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/01/the-first-official-wireless-ios-gamepad-is-small-maybe-too-small/

Of course, it seems not to be the best way.

The space is just too small. Askarus has long, thin fingers. It works well for him, but not for the average user.
I confess, I've got a similar mod and I don't have a problem with this because I never use the Pandora in tablet mode, but only in laptop mode. I know, there are many users which do it the other way.

However, I thought making both buttons even thinner would solve this issue, but I guess it's time to take the decision for side by side buttons as final. Otherwise we could discuss that for years.

Exactly, when the lid is open, you barely have space to push the upper button.

The mini controller has huge shoulder buttons compared to the Pyra or Pandora. And don't forget we have a lot of ports as well :)

Perhaps have the buttons a bit lower than the actual base?
Like trigger buttons hanging out... that would be horrible, accidental presses when setting it down, putting it into a case and such.. no thanks. I like the side by side idea if possible.

Perhaps have the buttons a bit lower than the actual base?
Like trigger buttons hanging out... that would be horrible, accidental presses when setting it down, putting it into a case and such.. no thanks. I like the side by side idea if possible.
Assuming the two main shoulder buttons will be Shift and Ctrl, how does pressing them solely by themselves with the lid closed(or open) trigger an erroneous event? If I pressed the Ctrl or Shift key on my keyboard all day, it would do absolutely nothing. Unless I mapped the shoulders in some media playback program as Play or Next Track, it wouldn't be any sort of problem to have them stick out a tad to make them easier to press for the user. As I understand it, the new Pandora case is more roomy so the slight jut of the shoulders wouldn't have any impact placing a Pyra into that case.

I've read reviews for the JXD7300 and the NeoGeoX and opinions vary on how well the shoulders work by third parties. Some said they either work only okay but not great or because of their small size and awkward reach they are poor to game with. I don't think anyone here would disagree the Pandora triggers were lackluster and almost an afterthought though. They are one of the few things from the Pandora that I hope will not be cloned for the Pyra given there is a real design team now and a budget to get them just right. The Pyra is also for gaming on the go after all. 

Assuming the two main shoulder buttons will be Shift and Ctrl, how does pressing them solely by themselves with the lid closed(or open) trigger an erroneous event? If I pressed the Ctrl or Shift key on my keyboard all day, it would do absolutely nothing. Unless I mapped the shoulders in some media playback program as Play or Next Track, it wouldn't be any sort of problem to have them stick out a tad to make them easier to press for the user. As I understand it, the new Pandora case is more roomy so the slight jut of the shoulders wouldn't have any impact placing a Pyra into that case.
Well assuming it's setup like the Pandora, it will wake the device up from low power mode if pressed.

Also not everyone uses the Pandora case, but the case doesn't really matter..

Also I hate overhanging triggers on current consoles.. I just want to put my controller down on the couch for a minute while in a game, however when I do so I throw a grenade or fire my gun when doing so.

I just hope I can hold the pyra the same way I hold the Pandora without triggering the side buttons. The outter one should not curve like the current one.otherwise I can for see going for the inner and pressing the outer. Or resting my hands( my finger rests on the barrel jack port and the serial port) I don't know how far are these buttons from each other and the ports

Cleaned up formatting & quotation mess - Binky

Back