Gp2x, Really?

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
to me the wii and the ds only have one appealing game, red steel and jump superstars, i'd rather ps3 and psp

and they're right, dont get a gp2x

ugh, are you actually serious? you'd rather have a ps3 and psp?
wow, you're the first person i've heard of that's actually looking forward to the overpriced ps3! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
to me the wii and the ds only have one appealing game, red steel and jump superstars, i'd rather ps3 and psp

That's interesting, but what does that have to do with this discussion?

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
yes i am, so many good games on it, though if i could afford both i would get a wii over the 360 easily

o_O

Well....That is not something I expected. I'm looking forward to a lot more games on the Wii. But then again, the thought of motion detecting controllers that actually work and have a little speaker in them fills my heart with a dorky joy that has not been seen since I bought my DS.

red steel is the only thing i find appealing on the wii, ps3 there, ff13, dmc4, re5, mgs5, heavenly sword, killzone2, warhawk, they all look so good, IMO of course, i cant speak for anyone else

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
red steel is the only thing i find appealing on the wii, ps3 there, ff13, dmc4, re5, mgs5, heavenly sword, killzone2, warhawk, they all look so good, IMO of course, i cant speak for anyone else

I look at that list, the only things I see that are real system sellers are MGS4 and DMC4. Now, I would probably buy Heavenly Sword as well, but to me, THIS kind of stuff is godly:

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports, Zelda twilight princess Wii version, the Wario Ware game coming out for it, Red Steel, Sonic Wild Fire...And I'm forgetting a few.

im not a fan of mario, i'd rather play sonic on ps3, though i must say that sonic game for wii is comely along nicely, metroid prime doesnt interest me much, i see it as a better version of halo, nothing more, and i hate zelda

WAIT, ur telling me u dont think ff13 sell? :D, ff13 will do more for the system than dmc4 will no doubt, mgs4 hoever, thats really promising

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
im not a fan of mario, i'd rather play sonic on ps3, though i must say that sonic game for wii is comely along nicely, metroid prime doesnt interest me much, i see it as a better version of halo, nothing more, and i hate zelda

WAIT, ur telling me u dont think ff13 sell? :D, ff13 will do more for the system than dmc4 will no doubt, mgs4 hoever, thats really promising

Oh, it will, I'm sure. I just despise FF games.

Plus, the Sonic on the Wii and the one for at least 360(not sure if it's also getting a PS3 version) are COMPLETELY different in every way, so you can't really say you'd rather play it there. It'd be like me saying I'd rather play Halo on my gamecube.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 03:49 PM said:

Ewwwwww... :p

ps3 and 360 sonic is the same thing, they are trying to keep to an original fast paced feel like back on the genesis, so yes i can say i'd rather play that

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
ps3 and 360 sonic is the same thing, they are trying to keep to an original fast paced feel like back on the genesis, so yes i can say i'd rather play that

Whereas the Wii is taking it from the 3D games to a style of play that allows it to be FAR faster than they've pulled off on the 3D games so far.

good for the wii, while you have fun playing that version i'lll play the ps3 version, i'm sure they'll both be good in their own rights. After sonic heroes and Shadow Sonic team can't afford to mess up a third time.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 06:55 PM said:

They tried this "classic" style gameplay manta numerous times before, on the GBA with the abysmal Advance series and on the DS with the horrible Rush. If anything, the 'next-gen' 3D Sonic games will be even worse departures from classic Sonic gameplay. I don't doubt for a minute Sonic Team can top their last achievement, a game where you play as Emo the Hedehog shooting things in a bleak apocalyptic environment only slightly more devastated than the faulty physics, graphics and collision detection while listening to Linkin Park and cutting himself.

i already adressed how bad shadow was, but i do think they can go back to the quality of sonic 2 and the likes, even a game styled agter sonic adventure would be great, sonic team has worked wonders before, they can do it again

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 10:54 PM said:
i already adressed how bad shadow was, but i do think they can go back to the quality of sonic 2 and the likes, even a game styled agter sonic adventure would be great, sonic team has worked wonders before, they can do it again

Sonic Team isn't who it used to be; nearly everyone who made the original MD/Genesis games is gone now, and the rest are on a woefully misguided track. Same reason I hate the Dreamcast/PS2 'Ecco' game-- nearly NO ONE from the original company is involved anymore-- storywriters, producers, programmers, artists all left long ago-- yet the company still calls themselves 'creators of Ecco'. And it shows-- their game is nothing like the originals, and nowhere near reaching that mark of quality. Same case with Sonic.

BobBorakovitz posted on Jul 16 2006 at 10:56 PM said:

ugh, are you actually serious? you'd rather have a ps3 and psp?
wow, you're the first person i've heard of that's actually looking forward to the overpriced ps3! :p

As opposed to what? The underpowered Wii that doesn't even do High def output? I have seen shots of those wii games and they look like re-hashed gamecube games, bah no more low res shit for me for a console. The PS3 will have nice 1080P and the 360 has 720P the Wii is still old flickery 480i, with a stupid gimmic that will have you flailing around like a fag, yuk you can have it.

All HD does is raise the workload of the GPU trying to churn out a higher-resolution frame; it doesn't provide some amazing quantum leap in graphical capability and puts a strain on already-limited resources. As for underpowered-- the Wii's processor and GPU can't churn out quite as much math or as many polygons as the XB360's hardware or PS3's with those 2 consoles under IDEAL conditions-- which neither can achieve because game engines cannot be effectively parallelized for the XB360's 3 processing cores, much less the PS3's 8 miserable vector units that are useless for dynamic game processing, interrupt the main CPU screaming like infants for instructions, and raise the console's price due to the horrific yields of the Cell processor. (As if the blu-ray drive wasn't bad enough.)

The Wii will probably meet or potentially exceed the abilities of its competition, if not in GPU performance, then in CPU-- just due to the efficiency of its design and ease of development for it. It's practically seamless coming over from the NGC to the Wii due to the extremely similar design, while going from XBox->XB360 or PS2->PS3 is a jump from X86 or MIPS architecture to PPC, and the APIs aren't even common.

Flail around like a retard .. did you do that using a gun in an arcade game? I don't know about your balance, but I didn't have trouble looking dignified using an arcade gun controller and this is little different. It might be a bit odd playing a sports game with a controller like the Wii's, but no one's making you play those few titles.

.. also, 'as opposed to'? I consider the GP2X and DS an alternative, for me, to a 'next-gen' console. I really don't want any of them right now-- I probably buy a Wii down the line for the decent FPS'es the controller will end up inspiring, and maybe some of the other titles if they end up being any good. The new Mario title has an interesting premise, if it's fun to play it might be worth getting. I can see enjoying the new Smash Bros. even if I suck terribly at those games, they are fun. The emulation prospect is kind of neat, since the emulation is very, very high quality from what I've seen so far. Even sound-- and that's a hell of a feat. At least Nintendo understands the SNES and NES hardware better than anyone else so they can get their weird proprietary sound and video subsystems emulated correctly.

That is fine for you go ahead and get one. low res 480i and 480P graphics look like SHIT on my HDTV and I won't be going back to that, it just looks horrible. I have played quite a few games on my 360 now and the PS3 will only be better. While all that stuff about the workload may be true it DOES look much better as I have actually played the stuff. I sold my PS2, never use the gamecube or Xbox anymore because of the awful low res. All of the Wii stuff that I have seen so far looks like old gamecube stuff. Nothing impressed me and the controller waving gimmick isn't going to cut it either. Emulation may be good on it but you have to buy every game you emulate on it, no thanks. You may like it but it is definetly not for me.

If graphics matter so much to you, by all means drop your money on the 360 or PS3. You'll be playing current-day games with next-gen graphics.

But if you want a system with current-day graphics but next-gen gameplay, only the Wii offers that.

At least, that's my take on it.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of the market does not have an HDTV; and with the ever-changing standards and required components for decryption of HD broadcasts and media, this is proving a very bad time to buy. A lot like how it'd be dumb to buy an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive now, when the 2 formats are still at war and no clear victor is evident.

Back