Gp2x, Really?

This has gone WAY off topic.

But my vote would be for the 360 and the Wii over ANY crappy Sony product.
Sony is banned from my house. After losing 3 PS2's and 1 PSP - ALL of them due to bad lasers, I'll never buy a Sony product again. Their pricetag has to be a really bad joke.

And, DaveC, it sounds to me like you've got a crappy HDTV if standard res stuff looks bad on it. The 2 plasmas I've been working with look great with DVD's and my X-Box. So, I take it you don't watch anything but HD channels on tv? No DVD's for you, either? Maybe you're just too damn picky ;)

BobBorakovitz posted on Jul 17 2006 at 05:18 AM said:
This has gone WAY off topic.

And, DaveC, it sounds to me like you've got a crappy HDTV if standard res stuff looks bad on it. The 2 plasmas I've been working with look great with DVD's and my X-Box. So, I take it you don't watch anything but HD channels on tv? No DVD's for you, either? Maybe you're just too damn picky ;)

Low res scaled up looks like shit yes. DVDs are ok but video doesn't look as bad as computer graphics scaled up for some reason. Still the Wii offers nothing to me that makes it worth looking at old time low res. I am not into lame party games and gamecube ports. I am not a Ninendo fanboi that will buy their stuff just because of some lame gimmick that is supposed to make up for their weak hardware. I can't see flapping my arms around like an idiot for 4-5 hours playing an RPG or FPS either. It is just ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 17 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
Low res scaled up looks like shit yes. DVDs are ok but video doesn't look as bad as computer graphics scaled up for some reason. Still the Wii offers nothing to me that makes it worth looking at old time low res. I am not into lame party games and gamecube ports. I am not a Ninendo fanboi that will buy their stuff just because of some lame gimmick that is supposed to make up for their weak hardware. I can't see flapping my arms around like an idiot for 4-5 hours playing an RPG or FPS either. It is just ridiculous.
Most people (myself included) are interested because of the possibility of the new types of games that will take advantage of the input type - not just sequels and re-releases of the same old thing.

Yes, they're making their whole past library available - but that's just an added selling point to the promise of some fun gaming.

It may fail miserably, it may work amazingly. Personally, I think the Wii is the only console that could call itself "Next Gen"... the others only offer better graphics for existing gameplay (and it's not better than my PC, at that).

In the words of VGCats: What's $600 and smells like snake oil? Next Gen!

I don't see why everyone is so fanboyish around here. Stick with the system of your choice if you want a wii, by all means get a wii, i want a ps3 and that i shall get. It's capabilities of running Mac OS X and Linux are even more alluring

I think the OP has run screaming in horror from the scene by now. :)

This thread has gone way off topic and I bet Godwin's Law will be invoked soon.

Jurrasic posted on Jul 17 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
This thread has gone way off topic and I bet Godwin's Law will be invoked soon.
Don't be so fascist

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 17 2006 at 04:54 PM said:
It's capabilities of running Mac OS X and Linux are even more alluring.

What, now?
It was my impression that Mac OS X only works with macs, because OSX only has drivers for mac hardware. Unless Sony struck some kind of deal with Apple (which I don't think will happen soon, but I could be wrong), I highly doubt it would in any way be practical to run the OS on a PS3. Linux, yes, but that's entirely different from Mac OSX.

How they've done it is beyong me but it came from sony executives themselves so while my hopes on that aren't up too high, 600 dollars is more than worth it if this really holds to be true

about 4 days ago on the official playstation 3 website there was a flashing apple icon at the top so it's possible that it was an error in uploading like sony claims or they indeed struck a deal with mac and they simply don't want to reveal it yet

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 17 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
How they've done it is beyong me but it came from sony executives themselves so while my hopes on that aren't up too high, 600 dollars is more than worth it if this really holds to be true

about 4 days ago on the official playstation 3 website there was a flashing apple icon at the top so it's possible that it was an error in uploading like sony claims or they indeed struck a deal with mac and they simply don't want to reveal it yet

I would bet the Apple thing has more to do with ipod and i tunes compatability rather than actually running mac software. There may be a version of itunes for the PS3 where you can download and play i-tunes for use as game soundtrack replacements etc. That is my guess.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 17 2006 at 11:56 AM said:

What 'holds to be true'? There is nothing amazing or revolutionary about the PS3. It has a unique new CPU type that is poorly engineered and horribly suited to games (iD Software's master programmer John Carmack has worked with it and estimated its maximum performance ending up around that of a 1.4 GHz Pentium 4 in real-world applications), a beefy GPU that has regardless already been outclassed by the PC world, a drive from a rushed new standard that will be cut-corner and slipshod to fit it under the price ceiling (most standalone Blu-Ray players still cost the better part of a thousand dollars on their OWN). There is nothing revolutionary at all about the PS3. Nor the XBox 360. The Wii is more solidly engineered by far, but it's not 'revolutionary' either, with the exception of its unusual controller. My favorite console on the market right now from the major industry players remains the DS, and I still have issues with that.

p.s. 'Mac' is not a company. Kind of like Linux isn't 'a PC'.

i'm aware mac isn't a company, apple is. in saying mac i was drawing reference to apple and their OS X, sorry if that was made unclear. When i said holds to be true i am referring to the official word from sony about ps3 running mac OS X. i mentioned nothing on the ps3 hardware so even if what you said was true i could care less, i buy systems based on my personal game preference

If the PS3 ran Mac OS X it would be even slower in performance than it already is proving to be-- any sort of API is a hindance, and Mac OS X is one of the slowest OSes on the market, even if/partially because it's pretty and flashy.

Every single fucking thread on this forum turns into some kind of sony vs nintendo thread.

Just buy what you want and stop saying one is better than the other. If you find that too hard, you're a fanboy. Accept it.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 17 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
Every single fucking thread on this forum turns into some kind of sony vs nintendo thread.

Just buy what you want and stop saying one is better than the other. If you find that too hard, you're a fanboy. Accept it.

Sounds like a good idea to me

You can be opinionated and not a fanboy. I prefer the Wii for engineering reasons; I haven't bought a Gamecube or an N64 or an SNES or any non-portable Nintendo machine since the NES way back in the 1980s. I also think the XB360 is better-engineered than the PS3, yet I would never buy one in a million years, and frankly dislike its design rather heavily.

My mistake, I wasn't refering to you directly.

People on this board either say wii is going to be great and the ps3 is shit, or it's the other way around. Quite frankly, Im sick of hearing it. It's pathetic at this point.

I guess I have to do it myself.

Stomping all over the rights of the Sony/Ninty fanbois on this thread and forum about the gp2x makes you no better then Hitler sir! >:

< thread over> < /thread over> :D

Back