Gp2x, Really?

so...uh, it looks like you've started fanboying this place to hell...so....just to let you know, i'm still gonna buy one(despite what you meanies have told me) and i'll enjoy it!

fine by me, but don't you think wii might be fun to experiment with?
and another thing, why the heck did Nintendo name it wii!? revolution was much better.

thetinman posted on Jul 17 2006 at 07:51 PM said:
and another thing, why the heck did Nintendo name it wii!? revolution was much better.
You can experiment with your Wii all you like, we aren't here to judge.

(Please don't make it so easy, I'll lose my sharp wit)

Last edited by a moderator:
thetinman posted on Jul 17 2006 at 10:51 PM said:
revolution was too hard for foreigners to say, especially asians. "Wii" is easy to pronounce in all languages!

Yes I agree it's an awful name <_<

nubie posted on Jul 18 2006 at 04:53 AM said:

If you felt compelled to answer with that joke, your wit has already blunted ages ago and is now only a stump. Sorry.

On the whole naming issue:
Revolution sounded nice and neutral and was easy to accept. It's also easy to forget. Revolution? Revolution of what? It's a boring name! It strikes no one! Everyone's on about revolutions these days, and they're mostly false prophets. The new name, Wii, has made an enormous impact across the gaming world, so much of an impact that even people outside the scene have heard of it. Nobody gave a toddle when the gamers were all up in a hussy-fit about MS promoting the X360 on MTV. Wii is something else.

Also, and I've stated this numerous times in other situations and other places: Wii is a simple name. Easy to pronounce, easy to remember (And you made it even easier by complaining about it all the time) and it just sounds... non-threatening. It's very much in keeping with what Nintendo did in the eighties when they wanted to make the Family Computer less of an intrusive piece of kit that cluttered up a living room. They made it look like a toy so that parents would feel less "threatened". Revolution is a boring but also sort of aggressive name. Wii sounds silly and bouncy and fun.

If you hate the name so much, just call it the Nintendo.

Magnulus posted on Jul 17 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 18 2006 at 04:53 AM said:

If you felt compelled to answer with that joke, your wit has already blunted ages ago and is now only a stump. Sorry.
Hmmm.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 03:06 AM said:
g4m3r posted on Jul 18 2006 at 01:46 AM said:
thetinman posted on Jul 17 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
haha! asians can't say "R"

What about the Wevolution!
It would be "levorution"...
God I'm confused now...

g4m3r posted on Jul 18 2006 at 07:54 PM said:
gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 03:06 AM said:

God I'm confused now...
The Wevolution is more a Jonathan Woss thing. They probably changed it just for him :)

gamefan999 posted on Jul 18 2006 at 05:06 AM said:

Actually, the japanese don't have the letter "L" in their language so it would be: "revorution" ;)

Genesis? Genesis of what? It's a boring name! It strikes no one! Everyone's on about geneses these days, and they're mostly false prophets.

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't resist, at least it was cleverer than nubie's wii.
ARRG *beats self with sanity stick*

Aninhumer posted on Jul 18 2006 at 03:04 PM said:
Genesis? Genesis of what? It's a boring name! It strikes no one! Everyone's on about geneses these days, and they're mostly false prophets.

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't resist, at least it was cleverer than nubie's wii.
ARRG *beats self with sanity stick*
MegaDrive? MegaDrive what? It's a boring name! It strikes no one! Everyone's on about Mega and Driving these days, and they're mostly false horsepower.

Hey, don't go talking about my Wii !!

As I was saying though, Genesis was only for the stupid American market and as such makes the joke fall flat.

My first "Genesis" was actually a MegaDrive, nothing anywhere on it said Genesis, just MegaDrive. I lucked out.

Back