Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

Yep I can't really stand the ghosting either, a low-res screen stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 4.3 inches makes is a obvious no-no to begin with.

The ghosting is hardly noticeable .. I'm playing Wipeout Pure, OC'd to 333mhz, running off the memstick and I swear it looks smoother :ph34r:

3D games where things come at you don't look as bad. It probably has to do with the fact that when things come at you the pixels don't pan very fast, plus many 3D games run at 30 FPS giving the LCD time to catch up. You also probably interpret alot of it as "motion blur"

Put in a side scroller with high contrast graphics and 60 fps such as Sonic, stretch to 16:9 and filter it and it is a different story.

... well damn! Why the hell would I or anyone in their right mind stretch the emu to fill the PSP's screen?!? :lol: And filter it?!? :blink:
Because without stretching the size is about 2x2 nanometres, unlike the the size on the GP2x screen which is huge in comparison.

/monster-sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the GP2X community over the PSP one any day ;)

And sure we won't ever get perfect PS1 emulation but we will get just about every 2D system near perfect, with the right aspect screen and a system which does not try to force updates on you etc. etc. (you all know the GP2X benefits), great friendly homebrew software, proper support, guarantees, no need to void warranties...

Expect a nice gpSP release for GP2X coming soon. Once I get it compiled somehow. ;P
Cool, I was never into the whole PSP emulation thing, never bothered with it. But GBA I am very interested in :)

I tried emulation on PSP. Most stuff is good but the ghosting, crap d-pad etc ruined the 2D stuff. For some reason the GP2X just feels more comfortable to play. There are a few emus I would like to have as good on the GP2X as they are on the PSP like PC-Engine, NES, and GBA. I am not big on PSX and the CD systems anyway, they just eat up way too much card space.

If Zodttd works on GBA I will bet it will be as good if not better than the PSP version due to his persistence and good work, and the similar ARM architectures.

SNES has made good progress thanks to Reesy, I hope he can eek a bit more speed out if it and it will be there. The ones sorely lacking now are PC-Engine and NES. Hopefully someday those will be fixed up.

So I just read that there's a new potential exploit for 3+ firmware. I ran homebrew on PSP a LOOONG time ago and there wasn't anything worth while besides a pretty sweet NES emu. I got sick waiting to buy games due to the forced firmware upgrades (this was before the DarkAlex days). So, I finally said fuck it and got a GP2X and upgraded my PSP.

So... I think I'm going to downgrade with this next update. Question is... I can still buy games and play them on here right? It's not all about isos and shit is it? I want to check out the homebrew and various emulators, but I'm not down with the piracy... (for new stuff ;) )

Also, what's a good site for reading about this stuff? Last I looked into it the community seemed half retarded.

So... I think I'm going to downgrade with this next update. Question is... I can still buy games and play them on here right? It's not all about isos and shit is it? I want to check out the homebrew and various emulators, but I'm not down with the piracy... (for new stuff ;) )

Yeah, you can still run normal games from the UMD drive :)

I'd go for the GP2X community over the PSP one any day wink.gif

Oh me too. That's what I like about the GP2X, the people who use it are generally more computer oriented and know what they are doing. PSP communities are full of dumbasses screaming "OMG MY PSP BRICKED! HELP! I TRIED TO DOWNGRADE 3.03 FIRMWARE!!!"

For me, PSX / GBA (currently) I like on the PSP.
SNES, GB, and all those other ones are much better on the GP2x, it just feels better to me.

I thought Neo Geo was better on the GP2X due to RAM limitations with the PSP. Is that no longer true?
Also, how's PC Engine (w/ CD support) and N64 going? I heard it wasn't possible even on the PSP due to the N64 CPU having a 64-bit architecture (hence different instructions) compared to PSP's 32-bit.

Edit: N64 question answered by Wikipedia

SNES has made good progress thanks to Reesy, I hope he can eek a bit more speed out if it and it will be there. The ones sorely lacking now are PC-Engine and NES. Hopefully someday those will be fixed up.

If you ask me, NES on gp2x is pretty damn good. NES emulation was my main target in buying a gp2x, and gpfce really nails it. Sure you have to overclock a little, and there's no menu to speak of, but every game I've tried runs 60fps, compatibility is top notch, and it even has features like turbo buttons and game genie support. Tiger-heli is the only game I've found that doesn't run flawlessly on gpfce, as it even handles the rad racer games and castlevania 3, which a number of PC nes emu's don't even support.

Now, that being said, if anyone wants to take that final step on NES, or add a useful feature like no sprite limit which is commonly seen on PC emu's, I'd be all for it. I also understand there are some complaints about sound in gpfce, but to be honest, I don't notice any problems.

Source for GPFCE

Also, what's a good site for reading about this stuff? Last I looked into it the community seemed half retarded.
They are still all retarded. We do have a "Other Consoles" section here so it would be nice if more people started posting there so we could build a mini-community that isn't full of prepubescents.

If you ask me, NES on gp2x is pretty damn good. NES emulation was my main target in buying a gp2x, and gpfce really nails it. Sure you have to overclock a little, I also understand there are some complaints about sound in gpfce, but to be honest, I don't notice any problems.

Source for GPFCE

Yeah the sound has some stuttering/crackling issues and it shouldn't need overclock to run smooth. It is pretty good though but could use a few finishing touches.

GPFCE also has an annoying problem when the screen scrolls: the right side has some 'overlap', where it looks like the left side is getting wrapped around to the right side.

Unfortunately, it seems like people only like the newer, better graphics systems that the older, more classic systems are being forgotten.

If you ask me, NES on gp2x is pretty damn good. NES emulation was my main target in buying a gp2x, and gpfce really nails it. Sure you have to overclock a little, and there's no menu to speak of, but every game I've tried runs 60fps, compatibility is top notch, and it even has features like turbo buttons and game genie support. Tiger-heli is the only game I've found that doesn't run flawlessly on gpfce, as it even handles the rad racer games and castlevania 3, which a number of PC nes emu's don't even support.

You exactly pointed the problems I found on NES emulators, for the few i I tried
You shouldn't need to overclock for playing such an old system. You even would have to downclock!
And the lack of a real interface (like Reesy, squidge menues, or even simpler yet excellent Picodrive menu) make NES a pain to play

Its good, but definitely needs more work to be THAT good ;)

GPFCE also has an annoying problem when the screen scrolls: the right side has some 'overlap', where it looks like the left side is getting wrapped around to the right side.

Unfortunately, it seems like people only like the newer, better graphics systems that the older, more classic systems are being forgotten.
I think GPFCE is pretty damn nice.

I have seen the problem with scrolling on lots of EMU's. I almost think it's NES problem that was masked by overscan. The only way I've rid myself of it on PC emulators was by shutting off those pixels.

Even OC'd at 280mHZ (my upper limit), I'm amazed at the quality of all the EMU's. Think about what was possible on your old 280mhz Pentium, not much (except for some tightly coded DOS emu's).

But, since were whinging, I'll join the fray: would it be so hard to use the second the processer as a video scaler, which is what it's used for in the media player (I think). All scaling in the emu's is of the nearest-neighbor type. Which generally looks cruddy. Would it be remotely possible to use that 2nd CPU as a hw scaler which sort of interpolated (I'm throwing words around that I'm not that sure of). It might look blurry, but more pleasing than the awkward scaling that takes place now.

PS - I'm not an ingrate - I love it all! Nice work!

GPFCE has been giving me a lot of problems lately, it stops loading games and corrupts save states out of nowhere :(

I've had to re-download GPFCE about three times in the past month or so, other than that most of the games I've tried run great.

I still use my good old gp32 for NES and PC Engine, so I do not mind if it is not perfect on the gp2x.

You've just switched on a light in my head. Why have I consigned my GP32 to the drawer when it does NES and PCEngine so well? Time to dig it out again...

Why aren't GP2X emus performing as good as GP32's?

Unoptimised quick ports?

It seems like NES is neglected because no one is really interested in it enough to optimise it to get speed. They were just interested enough to port a PC emu and then quit. Seems kind of strange knowing how popular the NES was.

PC-Engine is kind of the same. Vobbo's emu is the exception there as that was written from the ground up in ASM to get good graphics quality. The sound was neglected for whatever reason. Maybe Vobbo just doesn't care about sound quality or he was planning to fix it but lost interest before he got around to it.

These could be near perfect if they were actively worked on.

Back