Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

I still use my good old gp32 for NES and PC Engine, so I do not mind if it is not perfect on the gp2x.

You've just switched on a light in my head. Why have I consigned my GP32 to the drawer when it does NES and PCEngine so well? Time to dig it out again...

Why aren't GP2X emus performing as good as GP32's?

Unoptimised quick ports?

It seems like NES is neglected because no one is really interested in it enough to optimise it to get speed. They were just interested enough to port a PC emu and then quit. Seems kind of strange knowing how popular the NES was.

PC-Engine is kind of the same. Vobbo's emu is the exception there as that was written from the ground up in ASM to get good graphics quality. The sound was neglected for whatever reason. Maybe Vobbo just doesn't care about sound quality or he was planning to fix it but lost interest before he got around to it.

These could be near perfect if they were actively worked on.
He has a job in real life, that he is busy with, due to a deadline FFS

Last edited by a moderator:
GPFCE also has an annoying problem when the screen scrolls: the right side has some 'overlap', where it looks like the left side is getting wrapped around to the right side.

That happens on a real NES... it's often hidden by overscan on the TV. It was present on my TV when my NES was considered to be a new console. (I noticed it the most in Super MArio Bros. 3) :)

I couldn't care less if the PSP is more powerful than GP2X wotever, fact remains it has a shit D-Pad and I don't like the feel of it, compared to the small and cute GP2X which I find infinitely more playable imo.

For NES, you can always give fishyNES a shot. It's a very good emulator, although I believe a touch slower than GPFCE?

I'm quite happy with GPFCE, although yes, a port of LittleJohn, or a Rlyeh fNES would be brilliant. The NES is one of the best systems ever.

They were just interested enough to port a PC emu and then quit. Seems kind of strange knowing how popular the NES was.
Not really that strange. I seem to remember GPFCE being abandoned because the author get threatened by a GPL fanatic out of the blue.

Yep I can't really stand the ghosting either, a low-res screen stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 4.3 inches makes is a obvious no-no to begin with.

The ghosting is hardly noticeable .. I'm playing Wipeout Pure, OC'd to 333mhz, running off the memstick and I swear it looks smoother :ph34r:

3D games where things come at you don't look as bad. It probably has to do with the fact that when things come at you the pixels don't pan very fast, plus many 3D games run at 30 FPS giving the LCD time to catch up. You also probably interpret alot of it as "motion blur"

Put in a side scroller with high contrast graphics and 60 fps such as Sonic, stretch to 16:9 and filter it and it is a different story.
There's absolutely no problem playing Sonic with bright colors in the PSP, as the LCD only ghosts dark colors :) And if you don't like stretching just leave it as 1:1 which is just slightly smaller than the screen's height.

Of course emulating 320x240 in a 320x240 screen is better, but for example the GP2X has problems with the GBA and SNES screens just like the PSP with Genesis. You just choose something to be good for...

There's absolutely no problem playing Sonic with bright colors in the PSP, as the LCD only ghosts dark colors :) And if you don't like stretching just leave it as 1:1 which is just slightly smaller than the screen's height.

Of course emulating 320x240 in a 320x240 screen is better, but for example the GP2X has problems with the GBA and SNES screens just like the PSP with Genesis. You just choose something to be good for...

I tried Sonic and the trees and sprites left trails. Colors shifted like green shifted to brown. It not only ghosts dark colors but saturated colors as well. Greys and washed out colors don't ghost bad. Look at the Rally-X demo at the beginning of RidgeRacer. The purple color smears all around and the colors are not dark.

Yes you can just play 1:1 on the PSP. Try it though and look at the image size compared to the GP2X at 1:1, alot smaller. As far as GBA it has a border on the GP2X but and even bigger one on the PSP at 1:1. SNES is ok at 1:1 on the GP2X. Any image will be larger at 1:1 on GP2X as the pixel size is larger. You almost need to stretch GBA or SNES on PSP as it starts getting a bit TOO small at 1:1. Since I have both the solution is simple, play the GP2X version :p

They were just interested enough to port a PC emu and then quit. Seems kind of strange knowing how popular the NES was.
Not really that strange. I seem to remember GPFCE being abandoned because the author get threatened by a GPL fanatic out of the blue.

Couldn't he just release the source to shut up the GPL whiner, then continue with the emu?

He did release the source, but was put off after he found out that he'd been "reported" over a misunderstanding...

We could have had fullspeed GBA but exophase got a busted GP2X so the project looks like it is dead at this point. Zottd was looking at it at one time (did the quick port to GP2X) but seems to have gone off in other directions instead. Kind of a shame as it was promising for a quick unoptimised port to the GP2X.

Oh please, can't you ever be optimistic?
Your speculations "Help! I haven't heard from the dev for a day! He left the scene and now only codes for the Giz/PSP/DS/GBA/WHATEVER" are pretty tiring - and plainly wrong.
You thought Reesy left - he's still here and devving amazing stuff.. I'm in a good contact with many devs here, most do like the gp2x scene best. They simply aren't in the mood of coding 24 hours a day, have a real life and want to have a break for a few weeks. THEY AREN'T LEAVING!
So pleasepleaseplease stop this whining, it sounds like a five-year-old child...

Anyways, Exophase is trying to get his gp2x repaired, in worst case, I'll do it.
And zodttd just sent me the latest beta of gpsp for the gp2x, no dynarec yet, but pretty compatible and about as fast as the first SNES emulator on the gp2x.

Only problem is: ZodTTD's PC is broken. He didn't lose any sourcecode but he's currently working on a Pentium II which is simply damn slow with compiling.

So craig and me are trying to raise some money to get him a better system.
If you wanna help him and like any of his projects (be it OpenTTD or anything else): DONATE HIM! He can really need that money at the moment :)

Last edited:
Oh please, can't you ever be optimistic?
Your speculations "Help! I haven't heard from the dev for a day! He left the scene and now only codes for the Giz/PSP/DS/GBA/WHATEVER" are pretty tiring - and plainly wrong....
If you wanna help him and like any of his projects (be it OpenTTD or anything else): DONATE HIM! He can really need that money at the moment :)

Whoa there ED I usually don't see you get mad. I just remember Zod' said exophase was no longer motivated to finish GBA because his GP2X broke (not that he left for something else) and I was just stating that. As far as the "other directions" by Zod I was refering to the fact that he was talking about starting PSX again and was interested in other projects like open TTD and didn't seem all that interested in GBA at the moment (his choice of course, didn't say he shouldn't do that, it is entirely up to him what he does or doesn't do).

I am glad that the hardware problems are being remedied and I didn't know that it was. I do plan still on donating something as well. Sorry if I sounded whiny.

Oh, don't worry, DaveC, I`m not mad.
I just find it sad that you always think all Devs leave us here for a different system...
We've got one of the coolest communities here, and that's what most Devs love.
Sure, some may leave, but those are the devs that want to try out each system. But also other devs leave other scenes and come to the gp2x - so don't you worry, there will always be some devs here :}

Hey, Ed, did you hear anything new from Dzz?

- Alex
I'm also curious what happened to Dzz. He was posting a few times a day, then just seemed to stop out of the blue. His homepage http://gp2xgamer.com/ also seems to be gone. I hope he decides to come back at some point, Vektar and port of Nethack are great.

psp is very popular now this is has perfect cps2, gba, and psx games.

you could argue than the popularity contest was lost from the beginning between these two handhelds, but in the emu loving communities at neo-geo.com, and shmups.com; the psp is stealing the show for sure.

But sega cd emulation is a very big thing if it can be pulled off.

I used to want to get a PSP but could not justify the price. However when the PSX emulator came out, I got one straight away and after about 8 hours of use (mostly burnout and testing emulators) I gave it to a friend.

I can't see how anyone can get past the awful screen. The d-pad isn't that bad, but the screen is worse then the one on my little bothers cheap misc mp4 from china. The only time I could stand it was with car games where everything is supposed to be blurry.

Anyway, I blame you guys for not condeming it enough. you call yourselves fan-bois? ;) To a homebrew/emulator fan, the gp2x is the clear winner imho. I can't see one possible homebrew or emulation application that would be better on the PSP.

Maybe wipeout(psx) :S

Oh, and the PSP community forums are sad at best.

Oh, don't worry, DaveC, I`m not mad.
I just find it sad that you always think all Devs leave us here for a different system...
We've got one of the coolest communities here, and that's what most Devs love.
Sure, some may leave, but those are the devs that want to try out each system. But also other devs leave other scenes and come to the gp2x - so don't you worry, there will always be some devs here :}

amen to that brother...

Back