Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

EvilDragon posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:48 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:43 AM said:
craigix posted on Feb 2 2007 at 12:02 AM said:
Well it wins on the emulators you have chosen to compare... why didn't you try neogeo? That's a pretty big one and the GP2X has the correct resolution.
NJ's emulator is awesome and I think it edge's ahead here too.

For me the GP2x's forté is proper retro such as MAME. I'd rather see more work done on this sort of emulator than anything else.

Huh? NeoGeo is fullspeed with sound for me on the gp2x... what could be better on the PSP?
I think that ad-hoc wifi is the only difference. I don't know anyone else who runs emulators on handhelds so it doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a PSP (early in its life) and sold it due to lack of games. It would have been nice to have one now that all the emulators are maturing on it, but I honestly dont feel like im lacking anything right now. The gp2x emulators are really really starting to shine these last few months. I will buy a PSP again in the future, but it will be for the few commercial games ive picked up for it. Im just waiting for it to drop in price again.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:48 AM said:
Well it wins on the emulators you have chosen to compare... why didn't you try neogeo? That's a pretty big one and the GP2X has the correct resolution.

For me the GP2x's forté is proper retro such as MAME. I'd rather see more work done on this sort of emulator than anything else.

Huh? NeoGeo is fullspeed with sound for me on the gp2x... what could be better on the PSP?
Metal slugs are far from full speed, even at 266mhz +!!! Please tell me how I can attain this full speed?

sam fisher posted on Feb 3 2007 at 08:04 PM said:
Metal slugs are far from full speed, even at 266mhz +!!! Please tell me how I can attain this full speed?

Are you using the latest version, with RAM timings and such? They run fullspeed (that I can tell) here as well.

I have yet to see an MVS game that isn't fullspeed on the latest gngeo. My only complaint is all the hiccuping from the MMU hack, I find that to be annoying and keeping me from taking the emu seriously. There are similar issues with a lot of the emus out I find. Not a huge issue with gameplay, but for the more picky people like me it's annoying.

NeoGeo emulator onGP2X is really good. Yes, the Original Arcade Machines (And Consoles) had slowdowns too. Even on MAME with High End PC's, Metal Slug's slowdowns at some special pionts ingame.
Massive (original) Slowdowns are also in "Twinkle Star Sprites"

GNGeo do the best he can. But it has another problem: Some Games with raster effects enabled have graphical Glitches in newer Emulator Versions. Someone should fix this. Neo Turf Masters don't look that good without Raster Effects.

fusion_power posted on Feb 3 2007 at 11:02 PM said:
GNGeo do the best he can. But it has another problem: Some Games with raster effects enabled have graphical Glitches in newer Emulator Versions. Someone should fix this. Neo Turf Masters don't look that good without Raster Effects.

I thought that GNGeo/Rage2X had an option to enable Raster Effects?

As of now the PSP wins quite easily. It emulates N64, which GP2X will never do, it emulates PSX far better, and it does everything else just about the same.

Anhaedra posted on Feb 3 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
As of now the PSP wins quite easily. It emulates N64, which GP2X will never do, it emulates PSX far better, and it does everything else just about the same.

maginationimagerelicflanj6.jpg

... you'll need it ;)

Anhaedra posted on Feb 4 2007 at 04:04 AM said:
As of now the PSP wins quite easily.

Hardly. It comes down to how much you like PSX emulation. If that's your favorite thing, then yes, PSP is a knockout. If you don't care for it, then GP2X is superior overall. I fall into the latter camp.

edit: in practice, N64 is not a great selling point for the PSP (as in, it's barely playable) :)

Anhaedra posted on Feb 3 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
Yeah man, I'd duck n cover after that one. You're in for a hell of a treat :)

Yeah I know I'm going to get flamed, but I don't really care. (the internet is serious business, you know :D) It's pretty true, the PSP can do mostly everything the GP2X can, give or take a few things due to RAM limitations, and then it can do a bit that the GP2X can't.

And as for N64 on the PSP not being very playable, I looked on youtube and I found several videos of Mario 64 and Zelda: OOT on Daedalus RC8, and they ran pretty well, about 50-80% speed. It looked playable. Really glitchy though.

I wouldn't hold your breath for decent N64 emulation on the PSP. I tried Mario 64 and it's more like a proof of concept than anything else. Plus the author, StrmnNrmn, has not been heard from since August.

ok, test updated;

GBA - PSP wins easily. gpsp on PSP can play games like gba. GBA is originally a bit widescreen so you have 3 screen modes to suit your tastes. Scaling isn't noticeable mainly because PSP uses bilinear filter that applies to every frame of rendered output. Bilinear filtering doesn't slow down at all in PSP emu's - it's one of pro's of PSP GPU. GBA games play flawlessly on PSP, most of them 60fps without fs, but in Mario Kart i've noticed that there are definitely some frameskips. But emulation is soo good that after a few minutes i've forgotten that i'm playin' PSP emu instead of real GBA. Sound is also excellent. I've tried about hundred roms, with only one being not played properly - SuperMario Advance3 - Yoshi Stories.
gpsp port on gp2x isn't any real competition - yeah i'know that persons working on it have a break now - but we are talking about current GP2X vs. PSP emulation status.

NEO-GEO - that is a bit tricky. gngeo with rage2x VS. NJ's emu;

1.You have to convert most roms in converter to generate cache. gp2x has 64mb ram so the cache files can be smaller, those on psp are way bigger so they take more space on memory card. plus for gp2x.

2.Albeit psp has only 32+4mb ram it loads roms like a blitz, approx 4 times faster than gngeo. And when you play for example LastBlade2 - on gp2x i've had a major lag on beggining of each stage battle, it lasts few seconds and fps went low to 5-11 fps and goed back to 55-60. I'm certain that lag was there because some gfx rom data had to be transfered to memory from cache file. On PSP there aren't any lags-strange because as we know it has only 32+4mb ram. big plus for PSP.

3.Speed. on mine gp2x i've achieved to OC gngeo to 260mhz. I could play MS with 11.025 sound and auto frameskip, it was mainly 0 fs. But games with 22.050 sound were too slow and unplayable.
on PSP, NJ emu is clocked default to 333mhz and plays most games with 0 fs and 60fps WITH 22050 sound default. Frameskip off. As someone mentioned before - in MS are slowdowns - on gngeo, on psp, on pc, on arcade machine. this game was pushing hardware to its limits and real neogeo could barely handle it :) But - other roms - gameplay on psp is fluid, really. It's better than on gngeo and with better (22.050 sound) And not everyone's gp2x will OC to 260mhz or even bigger and every PSP can run at 333mhz. (with auto frameskip and 11.0125 sound PSP could go down to 266mhz). Pro's for PSP

4.Screen.
neogeo - 304x224
gp2x- 320x240
psp-480x272

neogeo suits gp2x screen well, almost perfectl. nothing could be added.
psp - well - you can play original (small screen), 3:2 that maintains aspect ratio, 14:9, and 16:9. There is free bilinear filter added so resizing do not looks bad. Instead, it really looks nice - a neo geo game on psp screen. I've played MS2 resized to 16:9 and was amazed how beautiful this game looks, really.
I prefer to play neo geo on psp now, with full 16:9 resizing. Gameplay IS better, more fluent, better sound.Colors imho are more vivid on psp (it has 16.7m screen, gp2x has 262k). This is my subjective opinion and PSP wins

5. TV output. We'are talking about portable gaming but we couldnt forgot that you can play games on TV with gp2x. plus goes for gp2x.

6. Wifi ad-hoc support. plus goes for psp

PSP-4 (no-lags, faster, screen, wifi )
GP2X-2(3) (smaller cache files, tv output (screen) )

NJ's emu for PSP wins

(yeah, you can add one point for gp2x because of screen - but neogeo on psp is faster, no-lagging, it is simply better)

Ahh - PSP screen trails - To be honest - I haven't spotted them. On NJ's emu (MVS,CPS1,CPS2) they are unnoticeable. Yes, PSP lcd has its trails - as I mentioned before most noticeable in SNES emu, but there aren't trails in NJ's emu's. And do not forget that PSP screen has a way better viewing angles that gp2x.

And batteries - on gp2x i'm using energizer 2500 mAh. Those AREN't crappy batteries.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 3 2007 at 08:50 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 3 2007 at 08:04 PM said:

Are you using the latest version, with RAM timings and such? They run fullspeed (that I can tell) here as well.
I think so :unsure:

EvilDragon posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:48 AM said:

I'm sure that is with overclocking beyond 240 though, which not all GP2x's can do, so the unlucky ones don't get the best experience.

With the PSP, there is no way to overclock beyond its rated spec anyway. Everyone gets fullspeed.

messiah posted on Feb 4 2007 at 10:21 AM said:
ok, test updated;

GBA - PSP wins easily. gpsp on PSP can play games like gba. GBA is originally a bit widescreen so you have 3 screen modes to suit your tastes. Scaling isn't noticeable mainly because PSP uses bilinear filter that applies to every frame of rendered output. Bilinear filtering doesn't slow down at all in PSP emu's - it's one of pro's of PSP GPU.

4.Screen.
neogeo - 304x224
gp2x- 320x240
psp-480x272

neogeo suits gp2x screen well, almost perfectl. nothing could be added.
psp - well - you can play original (small screen), 3:2 that maintains aspect ratio, 14:9, and 16:9. There is free bilinear filter added so resizing do not looks bad. Instead, it really looks nice - a neo geo game on psp screen. I've played MS2 resized to 16:9 and was amazed how beautiful this game looks, really.
I prefer to play neo geo on psp now, with full 16:9 resizing. Gameplay IS better, more fluent, better sound.Colors imho are more vivid on psp (it has 16.7m screen, gp2x has 262k). This is my subjective opinion and PSP wins

I tried GBA on the PSP and it is fast. But sorry the bilinear filtering looks like SHIT! Scaling isn't noticeable if you are blind. It is so fucking blurry it is almost unplayable. I don't know how you people think blurry graphics look good. It looks so blurry that it is like you have a severe case of cataracts. You keep saying the PSP is great because it makes things look fuzzy that just doesn't make sense. All emus on the PSP look blurry due to the stretching and stupid filtering caused by that non standard weird resolution. Everything here I played looks MUCH sharper on the GP2X as you can actually play it without that stupid blurr filter.

Plus many NeoGeo games are 320X224 not 304x224. I like how you picked the resolution that doesn't fit the GP2X screen as well to make a point for the PSP ;) Then again you bring up that stupid blurr filter saying blurry and stretched to the non original 16:9 is better than the original 4:3 at 1:1. Sorry but Neo Geo looks MUCH nicer and sharper at 1:1 on the GP2X.

The PSP has more colors? Kind of irrelevant when you are emulating a system like NeoGeo that only had 4096 colors itself. How is having more unused colors a bit advantage?

I have a 1.5 PSP and it sits collecting dust. If it had a decent screen resolution for emulators I would probably use the PSP mostly. I notice the ghosting on everything not just SNES. It is the same screen and doesn't magically fix itself for everything other than SNES. It is a hardware issue. You just don't notice it somehow, but it doesn't suprise me considering how much you like blurry resized images.

DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 07:28 PM said:
I don't know how you people think blurry graphics look good. It looks so blurry that it is like you have a severe case of cataracts. You keep saying the PSP is great because it makes things look fuzzy that just doesn't make sense. All emus on the PSP look blurry due to the stretching and stupid filtering caused by that non standard weird resolution. Everything here I played looks MUCH sharper on the GP2X as you can actually play it without that stupid blurr filter.
Have you always refused to play video games on a CRT screen because the image is slightly blurred too? The games were for the most part never intended to be viewed with every single pixel clear.

Back