Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

Orkie posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:33 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 07:28 PM said:
I don't know how you people think blurry graphics look good. It looks so blurry that it is like you have a severe case of cataracts. You keep saying the PSP is great because it makes things look fuzzy that just doesn't make sense. All emus on the PSP look blurry due to the stretching and stupid filtering caused by that non standard weird resolution. Everything here I played looks MUCH sharper on the GP2X as you can actually play it without that stupid blurr filter.
Have you always refused to play video games on a CRT screen because the image is slightly blurred too? The games were for the most part never intended to be viewed with every single pixel clear.

Even a CRT doesn't ghost nearly as much as a PSP. The filtering on the PSP looks way worse than a CRT. A CRT may have been "slightly blurred" but the filtering on the PSP is worse, more like "severely blurred".

Then for arcade systems mentioned here the arcades used RGB inputs, not RF or composite. The image on the GP2X looks closer to the fairly sharp arcade monitors than the fuzzy filtered PSP version.

Plus for GBA mentioned here, the last time I checked GBAs aren't played on CRTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:44 PM said:
Even a CRT doesn't ghost nearly as much as a PSP. The filtering on the PSP looks way worse than a CRT. A CRT may have been "slightly blurred" but the filtering on the PSP is worse, more like "severely blurred".

Umm... CRTs don't ghost at all. At least not any CRT I've ever used...

Anhaedra posted on Feb 4 2007 at 09:59 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:44 PM said:

Umm... CRTs don't ghost at all. At least not any CRT I've ever used...
ghosting is that the effect my atari mouse cursor does when i move the pointer to fast on my CRT ?

quoting seems to don't work, so...

"I've tried GBA on the PSP and it is fast. But sorry the bilinear filtering looks like SHIT! "
-you can always turn BF off.... BF on gba suits my taste better so i leave it turned on.

"Scaling isn't noticeable if you are blind. It is so fucking blurry it is almost unplayable. "
-it is scaling that it is so blurry and makes you angry? bullshit. scaling is noticeable but barely. when you apply BF filter - even less. and scaling generally has nothing to lcd lags if there are any...
When you're playing GBA game on emu are you playing or are you carefully counting pixels and checking if they are exact square because gp2x gba emu is so slow that you would have plenty of time to do so.

" I don't know how you people think blurry graphics look good. It looks so blurry that it is like you have a severe case of cataracts."
-de gustibus non est disputandum...

" You keep saying the PSP is great because it makes things look fuzzy that just doesn't make sense. All emus on the PSP look blurry due to the stretching and stupid filtering caused by that non standard weird resolution."
-wrote my personal feelings about so blamed lcd in psp and that it really isn't as bad as people were talking. In fact - i like it better than gp2x screen. Strange? maybe. You do not have to agree. And PSP isn't great because of screen. It's because of better and faster emulation. Simple. And I do not count commercial games many of which are excellent quality (OTRC2C, Lumines, Loco Roco).

"Everything here I played looks MUCH sharper on the GP2X as you can actually play it without that stupid blurr "
- i don't blame your opinion and don't forget that in psp you can always turn BF off if you don't like it...

"Plus many NeoGeo games are 320X224 not 304x224. I like how you picked the resolution that doesn't fit the GP2X screen as well to make a point for the PSP ;) "
-whatever - I wrote that it cover gp2x lcd perfectly (neogeo has less pixels than cps so it will always look better on 320x240 screen. CPS has 384x224 and on gp2x will be always squeezed (or scaled ;) ) or you'll never see those 64pixels ....

" Then again you bring up that stupid blurr filter saying blurry and stretched to the non original 16:9 is better than the original 4:3 at 1:1."
-i liked it more, you can also play 4:3 on psp....

"Sorry but Neo Geo looks MUCH nicer and sharper at 1:1 on the GP2X."
-sharper - yes. but also slower, worse sounding, with lags. Remember arcade neo geo machines with CRT tubes? Did they had lcd-type exact square pixels? NO. Did they had some blur and minimal ghosting? YES.
So - that fuckin' psp blur-type lcd screen with that ugly BF actually makes neo geo games MORE REAL. and I like it better.

"The PSP has more colors? Kind of irrelevant when you are emulating a system like NeoGeo that only had 4096 colors itself. How is having more unused colors a bit advantage?"
Yeah it is irrevelant. But psp produces somehow images with better colors, maybe they're using different palettes?

"I have a 1.5 PSP and it sits collecting dust. If it had a decent screen resolution for emulators I would probably use the PSP mostly. I notice the ghosting on everything not just SNES. It is the same screen and doesn't magically fix itself for everything other than SNES."
-yeah it is the same screen but every other emu adresses lcd differently. and that;s the problem - to catch correct lcd timings to kick trails off.

" It is a hardware issue. You just don't notice it somehow, but it doesn't suprise me considering how much you like blurry resized images."
It IS an issue. But not so severe as many ppl thinks. I do not know how one psp emu can be fast but barely playable because of trails, while other can be fast and very playable because trails - if they are any - are barely unnoticeably.
Besides - arcade CRT machines were always blurry... (yes, you can play 4:3 with BF blur on psp )

Do not be so angry, DaveC... gp2x is a good machine. I really like it and I still think that psp doesn't have this "emulation soul"... To be honest i was a bit shocked that Sony's toy was better when it comes to emulate, really. I though that gp2x emu's would be better that psp ones...
But at present time - Sony PSP emulates more major systems better. And that's true. Sad, but true...

messiah posted on Feb 4 2007 at 11:28 PM said:
But at present time - Sony PSP emulates more major systems better. And that's true. Sad, but true...

That depends what you consider "major systems". It certainly does emulate PSX and GBA better, no contest. Nothing else is definitively "better", more a matter of taste at best, e.g. Neo Geo and CPS2 I prefer on GP2X, although they're pretty much the same quality on both.

However, the systems I most use/want to play, C64, MAME, Amiga, Atari ST and MegaDrive, are all quite a lot better on GP2X.

So once again -- it's all down to personal taste! You prefer PSP, great, more power to ya.

messiah posted on Feb 4 2007 at 11:28 PM said:
"Sorry but Neo Geo looks MUCH nicer and sharper at 1:1 on the GP2X."
-sharper - yes. but also slower, worse sounding, with lags. Remember arcade neo geo machines with CRT tubes? Did they had lcd-type exact square pixels? NO. Did they had some blur and minimal ghosting? YES.
So - that fuckin' psp blur-type lcd screen with that ugly BF actually makes neo geo games MORE REAL. and I like it better.

Besides - arcade CRT machines were always blurry... (yes, you can play 4:3 with BF blur on psp )

Well yes actually NeoGeo did have square pixels. That is why it runs at 1:1 on the GP2X with it's square pixels and the aspect is still correct.

Arcade CRTs were not blurry, unless they were broke. As I said they used analog RGB inputs, the same exact type as an Amiga computer monitor (you could even use an Amiga CRT monitor with a MVS console with a custom cable) , and were pretty sharp. They looked about the same as they do on the GP2X. Also the response time on an average CRT is like 1 millisecond. The response time on the PSP must be around 50 milliseconds or worse.

The blurr on the PSP is MUCH more severe than the original arcade RGB monitors, sorry. It looks LESS REAL filtered. I had a NeoGeo connected to an RGB arcade type monitor and it looked no where near as fuzzy as a PSP with that filter not even close. If it was that bad I would have returned it as defective.

About all the PSP NeoGeo has on the GP2X is speed right now. If the PSP one is ported (like CPS2 was and runs full speed) it would be just as fast.

DaveC posted on Feb 5 2007 at 03:13 AM said:
The response time on the PSP must be around 50 milliseconds or worse.

The blurr on the PSP is MUCH more severe than the original arcade RGB monitors, sorry. It looks LESS REAL filtered. I had a NeoGeo connected to an RGB arcade type monitor and it looked no where near as fuzzy as a PSP with that filter not even close. If it was that bad I would have returned it as defective.

No way, 50ms would be unplayably bad. It would be a huge blurry mess, you wouldn't be able to see anything. I've seen PSP screens and they're really not as bad as you guys say they are...

The PSP ASV Sharp display has a response time of 25ms and exhibits red or yellow shifting or ghosting depending on the game, video, framerate. They are now putting new Samsung lcd's which have a lower response time.

"However, the systems I most use/want to play, C64, MAME, Amiga, Atari ST and MegaDrive, are all quite a lot better on GP2X"
You are right, they are a LOT better and faster on gp2x. and MAME is absolutely brilliant.

DaveC posted on Feb 5 2007 at 03:13 AM said:
About all the PSP NeoGeo has on the GP2X is speed right now.
LOL. Is that ALL? What an insignificant advantage. :rolleyes:

psp is ahead imo it has full speed ps one and full speed gba I think. Also this ghosting has never happened to me and most on psp emu's you can make the screen smaller like the same size as gp2x

Well, for me, both win.
As I use both, depending on what I wanna play.
I use PSP for PSX and the gp2x for the rest (as in my personal opinion, the gp2x is way better with the rest of the emulators... even SNES).
Well, technically, the SNES for PSP is way better... but... well... I played Star Ocean... and I quite didn't like how the green grass turned into a brown mud when scrolling... I hate that display.
Also, I have about 20 stuck pixel - all beneath each other, what makes it look really bad (yes, I did try with the stuck pixel fixer... about 15 hours...)

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:35 AM said:
I own GP2X and have a PSP

Brief comparision:

NES:GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
SNES: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry..
SMD/GENESIS: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
MAME: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry, bad emulation.
CPS1: GP2X will win when an emu is released, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
CPS2: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
NEO-GEO GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
C64 GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
AMIGA GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PSX - PSP wins, even though PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PC-Engine GP2X wins even with bad sound, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.

Total:
GP2X - 10 wins, PSP - 1 wins
I'm not a GP2X fanboy. After a week of testing it seems to me that for emulation SONY's toy has a slow crappy screen with wrong resolution than our beloved GP2X... (plus - PSP doesn't have emu soul) ;) Even so blamed 1800mAh PSP battery pack lasts approx 2x longer than gp2x on 2xaa's if you use crap batteries

So there you have it, the gavel falls, case fuckin' closed!
:p :p

(for those with "slow CPUs" this is meant as a joke, don't get your panties in a bunch)
what psp do you have?I have never experinced this ghosting thing.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this ghosting thing. It's pretty bad on my PSP -- a near-launch USA model. Blacks and reds and the like smear all over the place. Is there a timeline somewhere of PSP revisions?

The GBA + PSX emulation is great and all, but I prefer the screen on the GP2X any day.

Speaking of GBA I wonder what happened to that project on the GP2X?

dontspam posted on Feb 6 2007 at 01:07 AM said:
psp is ahead imo it has full speed ps one and full speed gba I think. Also this ghosting has never happened to me and most on psp emu's you can make the screen smaller like the same size as gp2x

Smaller like GP2X? What you mean run at 1:1 like the GP2X? You can but at 1:1 the image is alot smaller than on the GP2X due to the finer pixel size of the PSP.

fanboilolod3.jpg

:p

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 03:34 AM said:
Speaking of GBA I wonder what happened to that project on the GP2X?

I've got the latest beta of it running. Plays some games like Golden Sun fullspeed with sound.
That's without Dynarec yet :)

ZodTTD is currently working on Dynarec and mostly got it running. He's now bughunting.
Which is quite lenghty as he's working on a Pentium 2 machine (compiling takes ages) and needs a new PC...
His old one broke...

He simply doesn't have enough money for a decent one at the moment...

Last edited:
Anyone have a spare PC they can lend ZodTTD for a while? :)

btw has Exophase had his GP2X fixed/replaced yet?

EvilDragon posted on Feb 6 2007 at 07:19 PM said:
I've got the latest beta of it running. Plays some games like Golden Sun fullspeed with sound.
That's without Dynarec yet :)

ZodTTD is currently working on Dynarec and mostly got it running. He's now bughunting.
Which is quite lenghty as he's working on a Pentium 2 machine (compiling takes ages) and needs a new PC...
His old one broke...

He simply doesn't have enough money for a decent one at the moment...

Fullspeed as in 60fps? :eek:

Impressive.

naples39 posted on Feb 7 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
Impressive.

Not yet. It's fullspeed with FS 1-2, but that's fine for an RPG :)
And that's without the DynaRec, which can speed up up until three times...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:47 AM said:
naples39 posted on Feb 7 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
Impressive.

Not yet. It's fullspeed with FS 1-2, but that's fine for an RPG :)
And that's without the DynaRec, which can speed up up until three times...

I wonder if it will be possible to get it running as smooth as the PSP version? That is full speed with no FS. Wouldn't the similar ARM CPU architecture help it out or is that irrelevant? Maybe some ASM is needed? What ever happened to Exophase? Is he helping with it (he wrote the original)?

I have an old PC I could give but it is only 500 MHz :(

Back