Release Hase 1.5

so you can atleast exit hase, check your wifi or do something at all.
I could still open the game menu by pressing Select and exiting Hase - though Binky said he needed to SSH.
Exactly. But the resaon was more to write "pmprog, [Hitting Insult button]" ;) So in fact: It's a feature, not a bug!
Ah okay

Just tested 1.5.3.5; this keyboard does have a menu key, and it does work. I guess I'll have to test other stuff tonight.

Please note, Ingo reported not being able to use pgup/down to set weapon power on his Windows machine, and not seeing any logs from it. I guess if he launched it from the file manager, it may not capture stdout/err, but I'm not too familiar with Windows in that respect. Might be better if it did positively log to a file, at least on Windows though.
I tested Hase (latest) on debian amd64 and also cannot use pgup/pgdown in the game.  It is not a problem with numlock, as pgup/pgdown works in the irssi window.

I released a new version.

Please note, Ingo reported not being able to use pgup/down to set weapon power on his Windows machine, and not seeing any logs from it. I guess if he launched it from the file manager, it may not capture stdout/err, but I'm not too familiar with Windows in that respect. Might be better if it did positively log to a file, at least on Windows though.
I tested Hase (latest) on debian amd64 and also cannot use pgup/pgdown in the game.  It is not a problem with numlock, as pgup/pgdown works in the irssi window.
Over here we usually have 2 alts (no AltGr usually) and 2 super/window keys. I eventually figured out it was left alt. It was not my computer, and it is unlikley I will play on Windows again. Is it different on the Linux version? It doesn't surprise me that Windows broke your game.
Both on the pandora and the PC the keyboard is now full adjustable. ;)

:D It really works!It really works!It really works! thanks a ton! And thanks for the sounds... always fun to have more of those...
I do compress the outgoing turns, too.

Here is the full changelog (in fact I didn't change more)

1.5.4.4:

- Compression of outgoing turn data (again up to 98% data bandwidth saving)

- Button mapping is adjustable
Fyi: I didn't got the http compression to work, so I compress the data myself and decompress in the php script - which works. For the keyboard mapping feature I had to hack a lot in sparrow3d. You better enjoy this feature, it made a lot of work! :p

- Compression of outgoing turn data (again up to 98% data bandwidth saving) - Button mapping is adjustable

Thanks for caring about people with deal up internet, yet i was monitoring my network the whole time and there already was very little data transfer ongoing. 98% of that would be the traffic footprint of irc. Sounds very nice.

And adjustable buttons are a huge improvement, finally the desktop version is usable. 

- Compression of outgoing turn data (again up to 98% data bandwidth saving) - Button mapping is adjustable
 Thanks for caring about people with deal up internet, yet i was monitoring my network the whole time and there already was very little data transfer ongoing. 98% of that would be the traffic footprint of irc. Sounds very nice.
Keep in mind, I did a statistical trick. I talked about data bandwidth. I can't compress the HTTP header, which is quite huge compared to the compressed data. :\
And adjustable buttons are a huge improvement, finally the desktop version is usable.
That was the plan. :)

I think the icons for Stupor and Avada Kedavra are too hard to see in the weapon selection.

EDIT: And overall there's too much hopping and not enough aiming. IMO. Maybe a marker carrot (that doesn't explode or cost AP) could be added, and a hop-cost of 1/10 Action Point be levied.

Last edited by a moderator:
New version uploaded. Especially the windows build had problems. I added Binkys suggestions.

1.5.4.5:

- Server optimizations for older php versions

- Button mapping while ingame

- Windows only: Removed asking for compressed data

- a new level texture (thx @ Binky)

- a new sprite (thx @ Binky)

New request: have the camera center on the ordinance while in flight. Right now the camera seems to look somewhere in between the person shooting and their shot which is kind of useless. Sometimes I can't tell where the shot has landed.

New request: have the camera center on the ordinance while in flight. Right now the camera seems to look somewhere in between the person shooting and their shot which is kind of useless. Sometimes I can't tell where the shot has landed.
Okay, but what is an ordinance?

By ordinance (properly spelled ordnance) I mean the shot/bullet/missile/berry whatever it's called when it is flying through the air.

Hi Ziz, compliments on your game. The gravity model makes it very cool imo.

I have some request:

1. live spectating. I heard there should be, but i could not find any.

2. Walk or crawl mode would remove some unnecessary problems and make it easier to get in a certain position.

Cheers

Hi Ziz, compliments on your game. The gravity model makes it very cool imo.

I have some request:

1. live spectating. I heard there should be, but i could not find any.
In the list of the games you should be able to press (A), ( B) , (X) or (Y) to spectate or to watch a replay. I don't know the button on the pandora, but it should be stated on the bottom of the screen.
2. Walk or crawl mode would remove some unnecessary problems and make it easier to get in a certain position.

Cheers
Planned. :)

Cheers
No. That just adds more confusing stuff and makes the game unfair for newbees. 

I want that the hopping stays the only moving type. 

Since this thread's been bumped, I'll take this opportunity to note a little bug I've noticed (and a suggested workaround if I may):

Since reconfiguring my keys I've noticed that if you have any letter keys in use as game controls, when you open a chat box during a game, it contains all the keys you've pressed prior to opening the box.

Although that is a workaround to another problem with using letter keys; that you can't use them in a chat message without closing the chat box.  I discovered I could type in my message before opening the box!

So, if I may I'd like to propose two things; the game chat box should be cleared when it's opened; and the keyboard config should contain two more settings - 'ok' and 'cancel'.  The game could use those in menus and dialogs instead of repurposing the jump and shoot buttons, and allow you to use letter keys as action buttons since it should ignore all special keys when in a dialog except the ok and cancel buttons (which it would be more obvious to me shouldn't be common keys

Actually that's probably three things.

Cheers
No. That just adds more confusing stuff and makes the game unfair for newbees. I want that the hopping stays the only moving type.
I will not play the "No-Yes-No-Yes-No-Yes-Game" with you. I don't know, from which game you are talking, but Hase is already very unfair for newbies. Stucking in invorenment and not knowing, when you will move just a tiny bit and when you will jump over the whole map is a frustating user experiences. Some user even use insanely long turn times as work around - what really sucks.
It is not confusing vor newbies, when you can just walk (like in Worms, Hedgewars or every Jump and Run) little distances with left and right and jump with on specific button. They are used to it! To recent way of movement is confusing and unfair, why this is my most important point on my todo.

Since this thread's been bumped, I'll take this opportunity to note a little bug I've noticed (and a suggested workaround if I may):

Since reconfiguring my keys I've noticed that if you have any letter keys in use as game controls, when you open a chat box during a game, it contains all the keys you've pressed prior to opening the box.
Interesting. That should not happen. I will fix this.
Although that is a workaround to another problem with using letter keys; that you can't use them in a chat message without closing the chat box.  I discovered I could type in my message before opening the box!

So, if I may I'd like to propose two things; the game chat box should be cleared when it's opened; and the keyboard config should contain two more settings - 'ok' and 'cancel'.  The game could use those in menus and dialogs instead of repurposing the jump and shoot buttons, and allow you to use letter keys as action buttons since it should ignore all special keys when in a dialog except the ok and cancel buttons (which it would be more obvious to me shouldn't be common keys

Actually that's probably three things.
That would be possible. However at the moment if a key is already assigned, they are switched. I would need to remove this. So you could assign every action to ONE key. I am quite sure assigning "Ok" and "Cancel" to the same key will make trouble. So I need to avoid that. Määh, work. :p I will have a look. ;)

Hmm, yes.  I was envisaging that the two new keys would need to be unique against all others, like other key settings are; but actually it probably makes sense that you want to reuse your ok key as a game control key when not in a chat box.  If the game considers the ok/cancel mode and the game mode as being modal, keys only need to be unique in their specific mode.

Well I suppose clearing the text box when you open  the chat window in game, and making it so that it ignores game controls while in the chat window could work to a certain extent - although it would stop me configuring space as whichever game control it uses as cancel (fire, I think - if not jump).  But it would mean I could use the whole keyboard for things other than fire and jump without them cluttering up the chat box (like I currently have power on , and . because my keyboard doesn't have dedicated pgup/down keys).

Hmm, yes.  I was envisaging that the two new keys would need to be unique against all others, like other key settings are; but actually it probably makes sense that you want to reuse your ok key as a game control key when not in a chat box.  If the game considers the ok/cancel mode and the game mode as being modal, keys only need to be unique in their specific mode.
You are aware, that we are in an openhandhelds boards and the pandora has only 8 game buttons? ;)
Well I suppose clearing the text box when you open  the chat window in game, and making it so that it ignores game controls while in the chat window could work to a certain extent - although it would stop me configuring space as whichever game control it uses as cancel (fire, I think - if not jump).  But it would mean I could use the whole keyboard for things other than fire and jump without them cluttering up the chat box (like I currently have power on , and . because my keyboard doesn't have dedicated pgup/down keys).
I will think about this. However this needs - again - rework in sparrow3d. ;)

Back