Have We Got Any 3d Artists In This Forum?

Baggers

Still Fresh
Hi All,
Just got my first pass of my 3D renderer working on GP2X, at the moment it's single processor and in C, so plenty of room for mega optimisation :)

So, I was wondering If there was any artist on here capable of doing a 3D track?

I'll also let the artist or you guys decide where to take this game? as it's not written yet, and since it's for you all to play, you might as well have a say?

Let me know what you think? or any ideas? or any artists willing to do art / tracks / vehicles for it? etc.

3D Road 3gp file
Sorry about video quality it's from my phone, frame rate is a lot smoother on standard 200Mhz GP2X, it's slow because of phone camera. ( to keep download size down. )

Edit: Should I do a better quality vid first for you to see it?
3D Road 3gp Better phone cam :)

aapje89 posted on Feb 7 2007 at 05:39 PM said:
looks impressive! :)

lol @ your crappy phone cam :p

Edit: forgot to mention, I cant do 3d for you, sorry.

Lol yeah, Sony Ericsson K700i, So I knicked my wife's K800i I'm stuck with my contract phone another 9 months :angry:

NP on 3D side, I'm sure someone will be able to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Can't wait to see the source code so we can all chip in and help it improve....

Lazrhog posted on Feb 7 2007 at 06:31 PM said:
Nice. Can't wait to see the source code so we can all chip in and help it improve....

I'm after artists not coders at the moment, So sorry, but there's no point releasing source until I've released a playable at least. :)
Edit: PS I mean that in the nicest way, Thanks though all the same, for the offer of helping out codewise. :D

I'm open to ideas for game design etc. I've noticed some people wanting something not wipeout, but playable, so if you have ideas, throw them into this topic, and we'll see what comes out the other end.

But I mainly need an artist or more to get something to start with. :blink:

purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 06:37 PM said:
can't watch the videos on the comp I'm on right now, so I'll see them later..
but I can do very basic 3D in maya..
I've not exported any maya stuff before?
What's the save file like? is it ascii? So I can parse the data out of it?

Baggers posted on Feb 7 2007 at 10:43 AM said:

i think .mb

purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 10:21 PM said:
Baggers posted on Feb 7 2007 at 10:43 AM said:

i think .mb
lol

Oh god, .mb (Maya Binary). That format haunts my dreams... We use maya here and the damn maya libraries are very buggy and caused us all sorts of problems. An old version was even somewhat non-deterministic in how it parsed the models. On screen it would look the same, but underneath the vertex order would different each time and all sorts of fun stuff like that.

There's probably a way to dump ascii though, who knows.

dockthepod posted on Feb 7 2007 at 01:49 PM said:
Oh god, .mb (Maya Binary). That format haunts my dreams... We use maya here and the damn maya libraries are very buggy and caused us all sorts of problems. An old version was even somewhat non-deterministic in how it parsed the models. On screen it would look the same, but underneath the vertex order would different each time and all sorts of fun stuff like that.

There's probably a way to dump ascii though, who knows.
dude, i beg to differ, maya 7 is software that was made by god!

The GP2X needs a good racing game. It looks like your demo video is already geared toward that so I would say keep going with that. It looks awesome (minus the cell phone video part ;) )

Baggers posted on Feb 7 2007 at 06:43 PM said:
I'm open to ideas for game design etc. I've noticed some people wanting something not wipeout, but playable, so if you have ideas, throw them into this topic, and we'll see what comes out the other end.

But I mainly need an artist or more to get something to start with. :blink:

Does the game HAVE to be racing? That would seem hard to do as it needs fast framerate. Could it be something like a Starfox clone, or a scrolling shooter like Einhander?

Reminds me of Rez for Dreamcast / PS2. How about a simplified version of that? Good game, unfortunately we'd not have vibration in the controller... but, still....

221210.jpe

http://www.mobygames.com/game/rez

ok, before I start asking the artists what to do model wise, what type of game do you peeps want?
a racing game? or a 3D shootemup?

( purple goat if maya outputs ascii then sure, you can use that :) )

( Zenuke Nice show reel, so hurry up and get your pc then :blink: lol )

( DaveC don't worry, if it's gonna be a racing game, the frame rate WILL be fast enough :ph34r: )

( linoleum13 lol @ about vidphone, don't worry, next one will be better quality, I'll just use up more space on server :D )

( xhyldazhk as long as it outputs ascii files that I can parse easily you can use Blender 3D :) as for models we'll wait til we all decide which way to go. might as well wait to see what people want from it )

So, place your 2p's worth and say what you want, the one with the most requests in this thread by ( say Friday Evening 9pm UK time and only one per user ) we will start on that one.

Looking forward to further progress, regardless of what kind of game it is. (I'm more a shoot em up fan, but there's a lack of decent racing games on the gp2x :p )

Draken posted on Feb 8 2007 at 01:34 PM said:
Looking forward to further progress, regardless of what kind of game it is. (I'm more a shoot em up fan, but there's a lack of decent racing games on the gp2x :p )

well, our first vote :) but is it for racing or shootemup? lol

Back