Headphone Port Combination

I've got one of those samsung dongles for my head phones.

I wouldn't mind if you went that way. (plus I already have one) They are small and I just leave them on the end of my daily headphones.

I'd prefer a regular plug honestly. But I can live with the adaptor.

I like the idea of having one port for all. I also like having headphones with mapping :)

Spearhead said:
novaslogic said:
craigix said:
It may end up having to be 2 ports, a small ext and a normal headphone port, it's just a bit of a space issue.
why not just for sheer simplicity sake just use a simple USB head set?

For one USB headsets use their own sound chip and also why should i buy separate earphones if i already have high quality ones. Sorry, but that is definitely not a good idea.

no one said get rid of the headphone jack, but instead of trying to attach an extra specialty connection just use USB for the headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep the 3.5mm jack.. I'll still buy a Pandora either way, If there is no built in jack then we could always try soldoring our own on.. But it just seems like the market shrinks a lot with the lack of a standard headphone jack on the case.

I'm not sure how many conductors you're looking for, but a possible fix is to have a four conductor 2.5mm jack nestled beside the headphone jack.. those things are fairly small and relativity easy to get your hands on. I guess there is the down side that some moron will try to plug lord knows what into it.. but as long as the port is labeled properly, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Also, as someone had already mentioned you can use a four conductor 3.5mm jack to give you video.. I think this would be the best option regardless of whether or not we have a hybrid audio/expansion port. And in case you're interested, Here (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch...ame=CP-63516-ND) is what seems to be a six conductor jack, still compatible with the typical four conductor 3.5mm standard plug, just with an extra two conductors on the outside to connect with whatever special cable is plugged into it (I think it's pretty cool).

The downside to all of this (besides possibly not having as many conductors as you're looking for) is you might have to put together your own hybrid plug which has both sizes of connector..

The upside, is if you have a left over conductor in the end, you could have each port support a ground, which could give you compatibility for all those 2.5mm headset microphones out there.

Exactly how many pins are you looking for?

Good luck, I hope these issues can be resolved without too much trouble.

imo the headphones connection should not need an adapter. Losing/damaging it would disable basic functionality of the portable. (namely, enjoying sounds while one the move whilst not annoying your environment too much)
On top of that if one frequently disconnect the headphones to connect to external speakers it increases the risk of damaging/losing that adapter.

craigix said:
We would like to make the headphone port a sort of ext port too, rather like one your mobile phones. This means we can put mic, headphones, video, UART (and more) on this one small connection. This will mean an adaptor to use normal headphones will be needed rather like with a modern slimline phone, although if we use a samsung ext samsung headphones may work normally. The adaptor is so cheap it can probably be included free...
-Craig
I like to have some remote control. I like to use my headphones directly. I rather prefer 3,5 mm jack with RC extension, so I can use any headphones and/or attach RC unit side by or between headphone jack.

craigix said:
It may end up having to be 2 ports, a small ext and a normal headphone port, it's just a bit of a space issue.
I thought the case was going to be increased to get the battery in anyway? ;)

Or it may be done by altering mini USB port. 1st use for connect to the other computer via USB, 2nd use as wired remote control (UART). With RC as standard bundled accessories? (Question for Craig and his team).

Squidge said:
craigix said:
I thought the case was going to be increased to get the battery in anyway? ;)

Maybe it's a question of asking would you like an adapter, or prefer 2 ports and a small case size increase. I'd prefer the latter tbh.

It totally doesn't matter what the rationale is behind not having a dedicated headphone port; if you tell someone this latest whiz-bang portable console doesn't have one it'll be the sort of WTF moment GPH were famous for.

Whatever you need to do, you need to include a 3.5" headphone port.

craigix said:
ooo... it would be an all in one port, that would be really bad. I could imagine wanting to use two of its functions at one time... but obviously id rather have a pandora by august that has whatever style port then a pandora a year from now with seperate ports.

craigix said:
This means we can put mic, headphones, video, UART (and more) on this one small connection.
I haven't that big problem with Adapters and I can live with it but does this mean, you only can plug ONE thing at the same time into the Pandora? Headphone OR Video OR mic OR whatever? Hmmm....

As long you guys don't go the crappy "GBA-SP-WAY" where you have to plug the headphones via adaper into the battery Charger jack, I'm fine. :lol:

I'm not the technical sort, so I'd like short flames if I'm completely wrong about this.

I got this connector for my Archos PMA430:

Archos connector

It looks to me a reasonably compact connector, offering both video/audio in and out (through a dedicated S-video cable). Without the connector, the central plug takes normal 3.5 mm headphone jacks.

This UK company sells the connector and cable, so maybe they can help?

Someone has already posted that connector before, and I think it's a damn fine idea and doesn't seem patented by Sony :)

Whatever you decide to use it must be compatible with a standard 3.5mm stereo plug, I don't want to have to keep track of an adapter just to use my quality headphones.

I would not like an adapter at all. Among the suggestions so far I like this one the best:

S1003863230.jpg

Link

My turn to post stuff!!! This is the connector for my COWON iAudio

It's got 10 pins along with the stereo plug, dunno what they are for, but w00t :p

Back