Headphone Port Combination

I dared Craig to start this topic because I thought he would get slammed hard for even suggesting it! :)

There is no way I would ever concede to dropping a standard 3.5mm headphone jack! It's a ridiculous idea. I am very surprised there aren't more angry replies but I guess everyone just wants to see this thing make it to market soon and will deal with whatever has to be done.

The truth is that I found a great headphone/AV jack, but it is through hole. With all the keypad buttons on the other side, I have to see if it can be squeezed in between pads, but I don't think it fits so the search continues. The first prototype PCB brings everything but the headphone audio to pads on the PCB since they are for internal use only and I don't really care if I have to solder a few wires to the PCB to get S-Video or a second microphone. :)

FYI, the requirement is for a 5 pin audio jack (to disconnect speakers) and an 8 pin side connector.

Having two connectors is an option, but one of them cannot be moved to the back of the board as there are a whole bunch of components on the PCB up there. This was another part of the limitation of only two shoulder buttons. There isn't a blank space for more stuff as mistakenly mentioned earlier. The board is actually quite full and where there aren't any parts, the space is reserved for structural plastic build up. I do think we will find this elusive connector and it doesn't hold up the prototype development, but it is an obstacle for production.

fusion_power said:
Funny looking components. But we shouldn't forget, that all ext-ports/connectors actualy should be at the BACK side of the unit, while we all want the Headphone Jack at the FRONT side of the Unit. Most people seem to forget this. AFAIK MWeston sayed a while ago, that there is enough space between the Shoulder Buttons for such things.
So I really wonder, if such a multi-zulty-thingy like these big "3.5mm+craparound" really find a way into the Pandora. ^^"""
I think the reason is not because people forget, but rather the renders of Pandora have the first type of headphone jack on them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to have a standard headphone connector on the Pandora that doesn't need an adapter. Just casting my vote in with the masses.

fusion_power said:
. But we shouldn't forget, that all ext-ports/connectors actualy should be at the BACK side of the unit, while we all want the Headphone Jack at the FRONT side of the Unit.
Why not have a custom port at the back with both audio and video. (and a separate headphone jack on the front)
Just because I'm plugging it into a tv doesn't mean you'll be using an external controller. And having a big chunky cable hanging off the front while you're holding it could get a bit annoying.
A special AV port at the back would give a lot more flexibility for socket type.

Or is there no room at the back? I have a suspicion this is probably the case, Frankly I'd prefer the headphones at the back too. QUOTE
I'd like to have a helmet made of cheese.
Wensleydale ?Don't forget the crackers. :)

Zarneth said:
Frankly I'd prefer the headphones at the back too
So, when your holding the Pandora, you want the headphone cable to dangle over the Pandora? No thanks.

Squidge said:
Zarneth said:
Frankly I'd prefer the headphones at the back too
So, when your holding the Pandora, you want the headphone cable to dangle over the Pandora? No thanks.

They'd actually be hanging under, unless you assume some weird-ass freaky position for playing games.

Plugging the headphones into the back and taking the lead under the pandora and then upto your ears would be quite pointless IMO. Just have the headphones at the front instead and save cable.

MWeston said:
There is no way I would ever concede to dropping a standard 3.5mm headphone jack! It's a ridiculous idea.
It's a ridiculous idea!!!!

I would rather have only one SD slot than having to sacrifice the regular headphone socket.

Squidge said:
Plugging the headphones into the back and taking the lead under the pandora and then upto your ears would be quite pointless IMO. Just have the headphones at the front instead and save cable.
How is it pointless? How is it any inconvenience in the back? What about lieing in bed watching a movie with headphones, but not being able to comfortably rest the Pandora on your chest/lap because there's a damned cable sticking out the front! <_< At the back it'll be nicely tucked in underneath the screen too.

Edit: Having an AV port on the back might make a cradle possible for those that want it. Currently the idea is quite laughable with ports on the front and back. Not that I care but it would be good for some people.

I wish the headphone plug on my GP2X was on the bottom, so I didn't have a cord making it top heavy. But, I wish the plug on my iPod was on top, so I could lean it against things properly. I guess the bottom line is that I'll be extremely disappointed either way. :p

Seriously though, I don't care where it is on the Pandora. It's going to sit on a flat surface just the way I want, no matter where the cables stick out.

Zarneth said:
How is it pointless? How is it any inconvenience in the back? What about lieing in bed watching a movie with headphones, but not being able to comfortably rest the Pandora on your chest/lap because there's a damned cable sticking out the front! <_< At the back it'll be nicely tucked in underneath the screen too.
So the Pandora is going to be sitting on top of the headphone cable, pushing it into your chest? I don't see how that could be comfortable compared to having it at the front. After all, your not going to be tilting it anyway, so the headphone jack will come straight out the front and into your ears.

Squidge said:
Zarneth said:
So the Pandora is going to be sitting on top of the headphone cable, pushing it into your chest? I don't see how that could be comfortable compared to having it at the front. After all, your not going to be tilting it anyway, so the headphone jack will come straight out the front and into your ears.
I think you misunderstand. I mean resting the actual side where the sd card slots and currently the headphone jack is. With the screen tiltered paralell (or close to) with the lower half of the unit. So the unit is raised up a bit higher. (Not resting the base flat on your chest) Like this the headphones would be sticking out straight into you.

Let's put it another way, what actual advantages are there to having it in the front? Having a cable running underneath or *ghasp* around is hardly an issue there's no way you're going to feel that and almost every set of headphones will have a bit of slack anyway.

Zarneth said:
Let's put it another way, what actual advantages are there to having it in the front?
Mostly avoiding the posts that turned up from time to time throughout the GP2x's lifetime saying that because - unlike other gaming consoles - it had the port on the back and the cable ran over the screen, it was crap. Yes, I know you run the cable underneath, as do I, but some people are just born to flame. And it's much harder to flame something that all the competition does as well.

Personally, I'm indifferent, so in a world of indifference, I vote for the one that means fewest annoying posts in the future!

I agree with Squidge that the headphone port should be on the front of the device so it goes right to your ears. Having it in the back, and thus laying it underneath or around the device while the Pandora is on a table, seems a poor design decision. :(

The AV cable port though should be on the back where it will be directly in line with the TV you have the Pandora plugged into. gp32_console

Back